Nuge and Yakupov at the WJC's

Free*

How do we rate their performances on their respective teams?

Nuge led his team and the tournament in scoring, and Yakupov stepped up and led Russia to a victory in their most important game on home ice, both being named player of the game for each team.

Almost a perfect outcome from am Oilers perspective. How did our other guys do as well? Musil and zharkov?

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
I'll give Nugent-Hopkins an 8.5. He was one of the only bright spots on a relatively weak team. His only blemish was the game against the US, but it was a pretty big blemish. He still needs to get stronger on the face-off circle and stronger physically.

Yakupov gets a 6 from me. Like the Super Series he tried to do too much during the tournament and as a result it hurt his game. Over the final two games he rounded back into form.

I won't grade Zharkov and Musil but I will say that I liked the former's hustle and work ethic. Musil had a weak tournament in stark contrast to his performance at last year's event where he was one of the best players.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Yakupov gets a 7/10. Although he did play like crap the whole tourney(except the last two games), he still managed to be the top scoring Russian forward.

RNH gets a 9.5. He carried the Canadian team, he just fell short during the Semi's.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
RNH 8: Deadly on the PP, I thought he was rather average at even strength.
Yakupov 5: Terrible in the first three games, not using his teammates at all. Better in the last 3 games.
Reider ?: Didn't watch enough games to grade him, but from what I saw pretty much him and that 2014 draft eligable forward (can't remember his name) were the only Germans who generated offense.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I didn't see enough of Russia so I can't evaluate Yakupov but I did see plenty of RNH so I can grade him fairly.

He gets an 8.5/10. He was a star on the PP (as expected) and met my point expectations. However, he NEEDS to get better at faceoffs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Not sure what more most people could ask of Nuge. He was far and away Canada's best player. Worrying about a few %-age points on faceoffs for a kid his age is really pushing it. It just does not matter that much.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Not sure what more most people could ask of Nuge. He was far and away Canada's best player. Worrying about a few %-age points on faceoffs for a kid his age is really pushing it. It just does not matter that much.

A little bit more leadership quality during the American game...I didn't see captain material, but that's just my opinion.
He was head and shoulders better than any player at the WJC, but I wasn't impressed in a "Big Game" situation.
that's why I gave him a 7.5.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Eric Lindros & Eberle were a perfect 10 and I believe they would be the bext examples. RNH was a 9. Don't know how you dominate as much as RNH did and get anything less than a 9. Even with the one game where he was only average.

Nail was serverly crippled by linemates, coaching, media scrutiny, and generaly overzealous critisism. He typicaly made something dangerous out of less than nothing all tourney long. Was overshadowed by Grig. Still a solid 7.5 at least. Over ppg.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
RNH... 7.75 bowls of Borscht out of 8. A better game vs the USA and he would rate a full Lada. You really couldn't ask more from him offensively but I agree with others... he didn't really step up in the USA game... but neither did anyone else on the team.

Yakupov... I'm a huge supporter of his but I can only give him 6 Sputniks out of 8. His play in the tourney wasn't Gulag-worthy but I'm certainly hoping he's got more Molotov and less Babushka in his performances once he joins the Oilers.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Yakupov is a dangerous player. He'll never be a Kovalchuk or Ovechkin simply due to his size, but he's dynamic and his game will translate well to the NHL. I would say he deserves a 7/10 for the tournament.

RNH - what can you say? He was Canada's best player by a wide margin. On a team of junior aged all-stars, that has to earn you a 9/10.

What does get hammered home for the Oilers moving foward is the huge need for a C with some size, skill and toughness to compliment Yakupov (and Hemsky) moving forward. With Hemsky and Yakupov on the same line - I'm not even sure you need that dynamic of a Centre to play with them.

It would be great to develop that player, but guys like Brandon Sutter come to mind in terms of potential "Conroy" type centers who could really compliment Yakupov and Hemsky.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yakupov is a dangerous player. He'll never be a Kovalchuk or Ovechkin simply due to his size, but he's dynamic and his game will translate well to the NHL. I would say he deserves a 7/10 for the tournament.

RNH - what can you say? He was Canada's best player by a wide margin. On a team of junior aged all-stars, that has to earn you a 9/10.

What does get hammered home for the Oilers moving foward is the huge need for a C with some size, skill and toughness to compliment Yakupov (and Hemsky) moving forward. With Hemsky and Yakupov on the same line - I'm not even sure you need that dynamic of a Centre to play with them.

It would be great to develop that player, but guys like Brandon Sutter come to mind in terms of potential "Conroy" type centers who could really compliment Yakupov and Hemsky.

Strange comment, he isnt' that tall but he is built. He has a low center of gravity like Crosby with a ton of strength.

AS for nuge and yaks, well yaks for a 7/10. He looked good but didn't blow me away. Nuge was a stud though, I don't know what else you could ask. He had one of the best tournaments of any individual player ever IMO. 9/10 given he wasn't great against the Americans.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
The problem with Nuge's performance was that he wasn't a difference maker in the most important game of the tournament for Canada. He was the most skilled and experienced player in the game but failed to make a difference. I'm not throwing him under the bus or anything, the whole team choked and the momentum seemed to be lost within the first 10 minutes. It is just that he wasn't able to lift the team out of their rut, and that is what a star player has to do, especially in this tournament.

I'm not going to rate Nuge or anything, but I think the majority of his rating would have to be based on the elimination game, just because that is when things really start to count. I feel bad for him though because his teammates did little to give him a chance of success in that game, one of the worst showings by a Canadian team in a long time sadly. I wouldn't give him a 9 or anything though, even though the US loss wasn't his fault, but he didn't do much to change things either. You know you're going to lose when guys like Gaudreau or McCabe are bigger difference makers than RNH or Dougie Hamilton.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The problem with Nuge's performance was that he wasn't a difference maker in the most important game of the tournament for Canada. He was the best player in the game but failed to make a difference. I'm not throwing him under the bus or anything, the whole team choked and the momentum seemed to be lost within the first 10 minutes. It is just that he wasn't able to lift the team out of their rut, and that is what a star player has to do, especially in this tournament.

I'm not going to rate Nuge or anything, but I think the majority of his rating would have to be based on the elimination game, just because that is when things really start to count.

One player can only do so much with no support. Especialy as a playmaker like the Nuge is. His style does rely somewhat on his teammates to bury some of the chances he gives them.

I thought Nuge did well in that game in spite of the circumstances. Some goal saving stick checks and back checking. Great feeds, just no finish.

Saying the preliminary round doesn't count is like saying the regular season doesn't count. Some truth but really inacurate.

I personaly think there is a bit of luck for the right members of a team to gel and stay strong through any tournment format to finish tops.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Nuge gets a 9 from me. If he wasn't on the team we probably would have lost every game aside from Germany. This years Team Canada was pretty embarrassing. The main issue is goaltending though. Nuge carried as well as he could have.

Yakupov gets a 7. He wasn't invisible even though he didn't score much. But he did come up big to win a medal for Russia.

I'm gonna go ahead and give Rieder a 7.5. Kid looked great on a horrible team. Nice goals, wicked save by batting a puck out of the air too. I really like what I'm seeing from Rieder.

jbean

Jan 17, 2009
Saying the preliminary round doesn't count is like saying the regular season doesn't count. Some truth but really inacurate.

But raking up points against Germany and Slovakia doesn't mean nearly as much as winning an elimination game. Don't get me wrong, Nuge wasn't awful at any point in the tournament, and yes one guy can only do so much, but he just wasn't able to come up with anything when it mattered most. As the captain, most offensively gifted player (he is a playmaker, but he is also a goal scorer, especially at the Jr level), he is expected to lead the offense.

This years Team Canada was pretty embarrassing. The main issue is goaltending though.

Subban wasn't even close to the biggest reason why they lost the game against the US. He didn't play well, pretty much like every other player on that roster. Strangely enough Canada's defense had an awful game and the whole team just couldn't get control of the puck.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
But raking up points against Germany and Slovakia doesn't mean nearly as much as winning an elimination game. Don't get me wrong, Nuge wasn't awful at any point in the tournament, and yes one guy can only do so much, but he just wasn't able to come up with anything when it mattered most. As the captain, most offensively gifted player (he is a playmaker, but he is also a goal scorer, especially at the Jr level), he is expected to lead the offense.

Subban wasn't even close to the biggest reason why they lost the game against the US. He didn't play well, pretty much like every other player on that roster. Strangely enough Canada's defense had an awful game and the whole team just couldn't get control of the puck.

reminds my of Joe Thornton in that way.
the same player during reg. season, that carries over into playoffs...everyone else amps it up a notch or 2, but he remains consistantly the same player. not bad in any respect...but leaves you wanting more in big games.
It's a good thing we have Hall, and Eberle though, so that responsibilty won't fall on the Nuges shoulders for Edmonton.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The problem with Nuge's performance was that he wasn't a difference maker in the most important game of the tournament for Canada. He was the most skilled and experienced player in the game but failed to make a difference. I'm not throwing him under the bus or anything, the whole team choked and the momentum seemed to be lost within the first 10 minutes. It is just that he wasn't able to lift the team out of their rut, and that is what a star player has to do, especially in this tournament.

I'm not going to rate Nuge or anything, but I think the majority of his rating would have to be based on the elimination game, just because that is when things really start to count. I feel bad for him though because his teammates did little to give him a chance of success in that game, one of the worst showings by a Canadian team in a long time sadly. I wouldn't give him a 9 or anything though, even though the US loss wasn't his fault, but he didn't do much to change things either. You know you're going to lose when guys like Gaudreau or McCabe are bigger difference makers than RNH or Dougie Hamilton.

This isn't basketball where one player can carry a team on his back. It's very tough for one player outside of a goalie to lift a whole team when the rest of the team is stinking it up, there are only so many shifts that Nuge can go out on the ice and make a difference. He still played fairly well in that game, hit a post and had some other chances. It's pretty unfair to call him out for not carrying the team on his back.
He did about as well as expected although he really needs to work on his faceoffs, i don't see how anybody can nitpick his play in this tournament. The D and goaltending completely let Canada down plus there wasn't much scoring outside of the top 2 lines, hardly Nuge's fault.

Yakupov is the one who needed to be a bigger difference maker. I was glad that he played a lot better in the last 2 games but he really struggled with the pressure of being captain prior to that and he couldn't put away chances that he usually puts away because he was playing tight trying to do too much. He still was the leading scorer on his team so it bodes well for us that he was able to put up points despite struggling.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
RNH - 8 - he is not a captain material but leads by example.

Yakupov - 7 - It wasn't just him trying to win games by himself on the Russian team, although very noticeable when on the ice.

Rieder - 6.5 - played decent with the line-mates he had.

Zharkov - 6.5 - bumped up to the 1st line at one time trying to prove himself.

I didn't watch as much David Musil as I would have liked to.

Free*

This is a time when +/- is a good stat. RNH at +6 wasn't responsible for a lot of goals against. If he had played more the outcome may have been different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad