Confirmed Trade: [NSH/STL] Anthony Angello for future considerations

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I thought players can still join the team but just not eligible to play in the plaplayoffs.
Yeah, the trade deadline is solely for players being eligible for the playoffs and for 8 year contracts.

So, if a player isn't on your roster by the trade deadline you can't sign them to an 8 year deal if you acquire the player after the deadline.

You can still sign free agents and whatnot, too to play for your team is you're short, but again, can't play in the playoffs.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Yeah, the trade deadline is solely for players being eligible for the playoffs and for 8 year contracts.

So, if a player isn't on your roster by the trade deadline you can't sign them to an 8 year deal if you acquire the player after the deadline.

You can still sign free agents and whatnot, too to play for your team is you're short, but again, can't play in the playoffs.

Trades after the deadline are different than signings after the deadline.

Traded players can’t play in the NHL for the rest of the regular season or playoffs.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That's new.

Only heard they can't play in the playoffs

The rule is very old, 30+ years probably more.

Any player transferred from the Reserve List of a team to another team after the Trade Deadline is ineligible to play the rest of the NHL Regular Season and Playoffs.

Angelo is able to play the remainder of the AHL season for his new team.

Edit: fixed AHL playoff comment.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The rule is very old, 30+ years probably more.

Any player transferred from the Reserve List of a team to another team after the Trade Deadline is ineligible to play the rest of the NHL Regular Season and Playoffs.

Angelo is able to play the remainder of the AHL regular season for his new team, but not in the AHL playoffs.
AHL trade deadline hasn't happened yet. It's on Friday

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Traded players can’t play in the NHL for the rest of the regular season or playoffs.

it’s my understanding an nhl team can acquire another teams player and have them play the rest of the regular season. They can’t play in the playoffs

thus week AHL teams still can make traDes.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016

I could be wrong but my understanding of the rules were players traded after the deadline were ineligible for the playoffs but could play in the regular season only as an emergency recall if no other minor league players under contract are available.

So my understanding would be that Nashville would have to exhaust their entire AHL/ECHL roster of skaters (excluding goalies) before recalling Angello as the final recall option before dipping into their Junior or European emergency recall options.

Any way it’s looked at, Angello’s chance of even being recalled are minuscule at best. This trade is mainly for AHL purposes as the AHL trade deadline is approaching on March 10th.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
it’s my understanding an nhl team can acquire another teams player and have them play the rest of the regular season. They can’t play in the playoffs

thus week AHL teams still can make traDes.

This is incorrect. Players traded after the deadline are ineligible to play in the NHL for the rest of the regular season as well as the playoffs,

Reactions: Blueston

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
My brain thought this was Tony DeAngelo for a second

That would be absolutely hilarious. Torts so fed up with his bullshit play that he has him traded after the deadline, so he can only play in the AHL the rest of the year. That'd be a fun story. :laugh:

But obviously it can't be that, as that DeAngelo contract is basically untradeable.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
That would be absolutely hilarious. Torts so fed up with his bullshit play that he has him traded after the deadline, so he can only play in the AHL the rest of the year. That'd be a fun story. :laugh:

But obviously it can't be that, as that DeAngelo contract is basically untradeable.

What? I get that you might hate the guy but his contract is one of the best in the league. 5m(so 2.5 after retention) expiring next year for an excellent OFD is anything but untradeable.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
are there any other teams that might need to dump salary to activate someone? Hawks are in postion to take on a bad contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad