Rumor: [NSH] Predators to Sign Tolvanen

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
When I took a quick glance at the Nashville team especially the forward group - I believe that Tolvanen could be huge for them, but he has played so many games this year including Olympic so probably best to rest him until next training camp.

Reactions: Opado

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
When I took a quick glance at the Nashville team especially the forward group - I believe that Tolvanen could be huge for them, but he has played so many games this year including Olympic so probably best to rest him until next training camp.

We have a ton of depth right now with the Hartman trade and Fisher ready to play. We can pick and choose spots for Tolvanen and give him some breaks if we need to.

Reactions: Ori

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
If the signing happens, would this be in any way connected to why they cut loose on Aberg? Someone with Preds contract situation knowledge chime in.

Not really. I think we were planning to bring over Tolvanen regardless.

However, I do think the trade we did for Hartman is connected to cutting Aberg. I think Poile and management were hoping for Aberg to figure it out and become a serviceable middle-6 kind of guy who would be a part of the team going forwards. When he never really panned out, we brought in Hartman instead.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
He's one of the bigger KHL guys.

Huge for the Preds if he can settle in quickly. That team is really looking like the favorites to stop the Penguins from threepeating. Forsberg, RyJo, Tolvanen, Fiala, Turris, etc.; with that blueline? If the goaltending holds up that is just scary.
Ryjo the guy who cant score? Tolvanen the guy who hasn't played a game in the NHL. At least beat the Jets/Golden Knights before you think you're going to just walk to the cup final bud, ask Chicago fans the feeling getting brought back to earth after a cup final series. It aint easy, and the Pens aren't even a sure thing to make it back.

But we have Crosby Malkin Kessel Brassard Hornqvist and plenty of young guys stepping yet again for another year of good rookies. Never a sure thing, even Gretz never 3peated.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Eeli Tolvanen has confirmed that he is signing with Preds once Jokerit is eliminated from playoffs.

According to Aivis Kalinin Twitter. Finnish Reporter. Can’t do it properly on this device.
Finns are great (and crazy) people but that reporter is Latvian AF

PS
Saw Tolvanen yesterday live. He certainly got skill and he seemed to get better as the game went on, was moving his fet constantly. I was expecting more but oh well, he`s only 18

Reactions: Opado

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
"Stanley" will sought after in '20 as well. This is a very good reason to not play him. Its **** like this that get teams into trouble. Being entirely shortsighted.

The future won't always go like you expect. If you have a great chance to win the cup today with what you got, you go for it.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
f***

Adding McDonagh makes us the best team in the east IMO but no way we get through that juggernaut Nashville team

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ryjo the guy who cant score? Tolvanen the guy who hasn't played a game in the NHL. At least beat the Jets/Golden Knights before you think you're going to just walk to the cup final bud, ask Chicago fans the feeling getting brought back to earth after a cup final series. It aint easy, and the Pens aren't even a sure thing to make it back.

But we have Crosby Malkin Kessel Brassard Hornqvist and plenty of young guys stepping yet again for another year of good rookies. Never a sure thing, even Gretz never 3peated.

...I'm an avs fan, thus the Zadorov avatar...

And playing in the KHL didn't prevent Radulov's or Panarin's class from shining through, even though people on HF kept telling me that that they couldn't be as good as I said they were. So why should I start listening to y'all about the KHL now? :dunno:

Reactions: FierceFalcon

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
...I'm an avs fan, thus the Zadorov avatar...

And playing in the KHL didn't prevent Radulov's or Panarin's class from shining through, even though people on HF kept telling me that that they couldn't be as good as I said they were. So why should I start listening to y'all about the KHL now? :dunno:
it's just the arrogance of some pens fans around here. ignore that ;)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Please stop thinking like this. Nothing is more important than Stanley. If he helps your chances, you play him. You do not leave championships to chance. Ask Dan Marino if you ever meet him if he was worried about not making it back.
You can give him the tryout - any number below 10 games - and if he lights the lamp and is a catalyst for the team, yeah play him and ride him to the Cup.

Reality is much more likely though that he'll require a little seasoning, acclimatizing, and maturing - he's 18 and had one season of pro, coming into an already established roster and system.
Give him the experience and the cup of coffee, but don't force him into the lineup and waste a year of protection.

Preds have a Cup shot as is. Tolvanen likely won't come in and change that too much.
Preds will also likely have a Cup shot down the road, especially if they can protect as much of their roster as possible. Making a hot commodity like Tolvanen exempt will simplify the process and allow them to protect more pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tex76

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The depth chart for the forwards look like this:

Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidson
Fiala-Turris-Smith
Hartnell-Bonino-Jarnkrok

Sissons, Watson, Salomaki, Fisher, Hartman, Tolvanen,

Yeah.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You can give him the tryout - any number below 10 games - and if he lights the lamp and is a catalyst for the team, yeah play him and ride him to the Cup.

Reality is much more likely though that he'll require a little seasoning, acclimatizing, and maturing - he's 18 and had one season of pro, coming into an already established roster and system.
Give him the experience and the cup of coffee, but don't force him into the lineup and waste a year of protection.

Preds have a Cup shot as is. Tolvanen likely won't come in and change that too much.
Preds will also likely have a Cup shot down the road, especially if they can protect as much of their roster as possible. Making a hot commodity like Tolvanen exempt will simplify the process and allow them to protect more pieces.

He’ll be a difference maker for them as soon as he gets comfortable with the small ice...and coming from Finland he grew up playing on smaller ice than do most other euros...at the very least on the PP. So even though they have a shot at the cup without him, and even though he could take more than 10 games to really start firing; you don’t want to leave any weapon behind when you’re riding off to do battle over the cup. You never know what injuries will hit or what stars will go ice cold at the worst possible time.

If he’s struggling badly then obviously don’t shatter his confidence, but that’s a bridge you worry about if you end up having to cross it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Nashville winning the Cup would be so awesome for the NHL.

Makes you wonder why the refs screwed them multiple times in the Finals last year just to help the reviled Penguins win.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I see him being eased in (watching from the press box to start and 4th-line minutes when he does dress), but that may well change as the playoffs go on. First of all, if the Preds are struggling in a series, he may get in and get more minutes. Imagine the boost that that could bring or the "what if"s if the Preds are eliminated and they never played him. Second, if the Preds are still playing into May or even June, he'll be more acclimated by then, have more of Laviolette's trust and players ahead of him will have gotten injured, all of which will probably increase his ice time. Though it would be nice to see him be an instant impact player, just having him as part of the team for a run will help his development and acclimation to Nashville, so that he's already comfortable with the team, the fans and the general environment when training camp comes around.

You really over-reacted to a simple opinion that the Preds are the best chance to stop your Pens... from someone who not only isn't a Preds fan, but isn't even a fan of an Eastern team (so he's not just hating on the Pens). You probably also didn't even notice or appreciate the respect given to your team in the suggestion that the Pens may be unopposed on their own way to the Cup Final. You just reacted to the notion that the Pens could be stopped from three-peating... and then argued that very thing in rebuttal, yourself, as if you were educating him on that point.

Last edited:

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Let's get one thing straight...the Preds aren't going to not play Eeli if they think he can help just to not burn a year off his ELC. Look where Edmonton was a year ago. You never know that you'll have as good of a shot to win it all as you do right now. It's absolutely necessary to do everything you can to win now because things can change so quickly in this league.

Reactions: cgf

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He’ll be a difference maker for them as soon as he gets comfortable with the small ice...and coming from Finland he grew up playing on smaller ice than do most other euros...at the very least on the PP. So even though they have a shot at the cup without him, and even though he could take more than 10 games to really start firing; you don’t want to leave any weapon behind when you’re riding off to do battle over the cup. You never know what injuries will hit or what stars will go ice cold at the worst possible time.

If he’s struggling badly then obviously don’t shatter his confidence, but that’s a bridge you worry about if you end up having to cross it.
He played two years in the USHL so the small ice shouldn't be too difficult to get back into.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad