Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Trading Marner for a goalie would be so stupid.

This years runaway Vezina winner (Hellebuyck) couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs. Last years Vezina winner isn't even the starter on his team anymore. Vasilevskiy was complete ass. Meanwhile, the cup winners last year were led by a random 3rd stringer and we have Silovs vs Pickard (who?) battling it out in the 2nd round. Sorokin looked like a world beater now he sucks.

Goaltending position is a total crap shoot these days. Gone are the days of stable, rock solid #1's like Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Joseph, etc.

We risk losing a 100 point winger who is good defensively just to potentially end up with yet another keeper with a .901 sv% and 3.08 gaa.

Anderson looked good for Toronto, then trash, now good again for Carolina. I have no faith in this position to be giving up a premium asset for it.

I'd have no more faith in Askarov or Sarros than I do in Woll next year.
The way I look at it is, which player would give the Leafs a better chance to advance in a playoff series based on their track record?

To me, the answer is Saros.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Goalies always look good til they go to teams with poor defensive play like the Oilers or Leafs. No goalie from a good defensive team is gonna have amazing stats and not get pulled apart by the press in Toronto. Trading marner where the biggest value of the return is a goalie will not turn out for a Toronto.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Seattle makes little sense to me. If our goal is only to be more competitive so that we have a shot at the playoffs every year, sure, Marner would help. If our goal is to develop into a legitimate Cup contender on a regular basis, Marner only inhibits that possibility. I hope he goes elsewhere.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Seattle makes little sense to me. If our goal is only to be more competitive so that we have a shot at the playoffs every year, sure, Marner would help. If our goal is to develop into a legitimate Cup contender on a regular basis, Marner only inhibits that possibility. I hope he goes elsewhere.
No one in the media is even mentioning Seattle so he likely isn't going there

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Goalies always look good til they go to teams with poor defensive play like the Oilers or Leafs. No goalie from a good defensive team is gonna have amazing stats and not get pulled apart by the press in Toronto. Trading marner where the biggest value of the return is a goalie will not turn out for a Toronto.
Well I don't know which version of the Preds yall have been watching but we haven't been a good defensive team in several seasons. We bled high danger chances even under Hynes who wasn't playing a more offensive system like Brunette.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
The way I look at it is, which player would give the Leafs a better chance to advance in a playoff series based on their track record?

To me, the answer is Saros.
Saros had a .900 sv% in the first round. That's as disappointing for an elite goalie as Marner's production was for an elite forward.

There are less painful ways to get a goalie who can post a .900 sv% than to trade a 100 point winger for it.

We thought Reimer would be the solution, and Bernier, and Anderson, and Samsonov, etc. Until our defence improves goalies are going to keep posting bad numbers in Toronto. I don't want to lose Marner and have nothing to show for him when we realize goaltenders are largely just a product of the team they play behind.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Not that it’s relevant but they both went out in the first round.
Nashville lost in 6, Leafs in 7.

The answer to your question would be no.
When was the last time the Leafs made the Stanley Cup Finals as opposed to the Predators?

Edit: obviously they never played each other. I meant "vs" as in "as opposed to". Didn't think I needed to clarify that but here we are.

Last edited:

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
Marner for Saros, Fabbro, Tomasino is a win win imo

- Nashville is better off moving from Saros to Askarov instead of signing him to a 7/8 year deal through his 30s with where they are. If they didn't have Askarov maybe it would be more of a consideration but Askarov + being good goaltending factory tips the scales

- Fabbro and Tomasino are both seemingly not Brunette's favorites in Nashville and wouldn't be big losses for them at this point, but they provide the kind of depth Toronto could use cheaply

- Toronto gets a few mil in cap space even after adding those players

- Trotz has been very vocal about adding a young offensive star player and Marner could be a home run for them, he'd be fairly insulated physically while being the main puckhandler and play driver on his line and have defensive support from players like Josi and McDonagh

Toronto probably adds something small but that seems like a good enough trade base

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Marner for Saros sounds like another potential trainwreck deal that will go down in history alongside the Raycroft, Toskala, Kessel, Steen, Kadri etc. trades.

Reactions: broc

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
Marner for Saros sounds like another potential trainwreck deal that will go down in history alongside the Raycroft, Toskala, Kessel, Steen, Kadri etc. trades.
Its more like the Bruins trading Joe Thornton except Toronto gets one of the best at their position to plug a direct hole in their lineup instead of 3 jobbers.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

This... it's not a knock on Saros, but Toronto will immediately regret the Saros extension when they get knocked off in the playoffs by a team paying a goalie under $4m, who goes toe to to toe with Sarso.

Workhorse goaltenders (specifically those paid as workhorse goaltenders) are good for teams who need to get to the playoffs. They are bad for teams trying to win the cup.

Saros is getting really underrated in this thread. He's been one of the top goalies in the league the last few years.

Saros could be Vasilevsky or Shesterkin or Hellebuyck, it wouldn't really matter. The reality is, next year is a reset year for the Leafs, they're not winnign the cup. After that, Saros will be either gone, or a burden to trying to win.

I get why Nashville is interested in Marner, but Toronto has fairly specific needs and the Marner deal has to address at least one of those needs.

Marner for Saros, Fabbro, Tomasino is a win win imo

- Nashville is better off moving from Saros to Askarov instead of signing him to a 7/8 year deal through his 30s with where they are. If they didn't have Askarov maybe it would be more of a consideration but Askarov + being good goaltending factory tips the scales

- Fabbro and Tomasino are both seemingly not Brunette's favorites in Nashville and wouldn't be big losses for them at this point, but they provide the kind of depth Toronto could use cheaply

- Toronto gets a few mil in cap space even after adding those players

- Trotz has been very vocal about adding a young offensive star player and Marner could be a home run for them, he'd be fairly insulated physically while being the main puckhandler and play driver on his line and have defensive support from players like Josi and McDonagh

Toronto probably adds something small but that seems like a good enough trade base

Could not agree less.

Saros is not a good target for Toronto due to his contract situation, his resume, and the fact that they're likely pretenders next year. They need a goalie, but they shoudl not under any circumstances pursue one looking to be paid as a workhorse #1. It's just not the way you win these days.

Toronto has fairly specific needs outside of goaltending.

On D, they need a high quality, right shot defenceman with size, physicality, and solid defensive play. That's not Dante Fabbro... so Nashville cannot really address that need.

Up front, they need:

- A #2 centre to address the decline of Tavares. Tommy Novak might be a reasonable fit for that. Based on teh body of work from Phillip Tomasino so far, it does not appear that he would be that.

- An offensively inclined winger to offset the loss of Mitch Marner. I'd imagine the Leafs are looking longer term than Gus Nyquist, which basically leaves a guy like Luke Evangelista.

- Some size and functional toughness up front. Colton Sissons would semingly fit reasonably well here.

Overall, the challenge is, you look at the guys that might actually fill a need for the Leafs... and none of them fill it spectacularily well.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I don't want another overhyped goalie. I've been begging for the leafs to trade him for 4 years but not for a goalie

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
wtf is with this thread? lol if someone told me a few weeks ago we could trade Marner with 1 year left on deal for Saros I would of laughed at you. We’re realistically not gonna get much as most think for Marner. I’d take that deal and run though. Some people even adding more to the Saros deal is just fooling themselves and gonna be disappointed.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Love all these fans that think Nashville is going Toronto a favor taking Mitch as a cap dump.

He had 85 points in 69 games and you can whine about the playoffs but Mitch is still a better play performer than every single nobody on Nashville's roster.

Saros and and 1st and we'll listen.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
When was the last time the Leafs made the Stanley Cup Finals vs the Predators?
They haven't. Toronto last went to a Cup final in 1967. Long before Nashville had a team. Moreover, Toronto and Nashville have never played a playoff series as that can only happen in the finial under the current playoff structure.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Love all these fans that think Nashville is going Toronto a favor taking Mitch as a cap dump.

He had 85 points in 69 games and you can whine about the playoffs but Mitch is still a better play performer than every single nobody on Nashville's roster.

Saros and and 1st and we'll listen.
I wouldn’t call 94 point 2 time 40 goal scorer forsberg a nobody with basically half talented center marners been playing with his career or a defenseman that has almost as many points than Marner in Josi but yea ok you do you

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
wtf is with this thread? lol if someone told me a few weeks ago we could trade Marner with 1 year left on deal for Saros I would of laughed at you. We’re realistically not gonna get much as most think for Marner. I’d take that deal and run though. Some people even adding more to the Saros deal is just fooling themselves and gonna be disappointed.
I agree, people will be surprised if a deal happens. I think the biggest gain is cap space.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I agree, people will be surprised if a deal happens. I think the biggest gain is cap space.

Objectively... let'say the Leafs trade Marner for non-roster assets -- picks & prospects...

Who are they realistically going to sign with all that cap space. The UFA market for #2 Cs, top 6 wingers, and right shot defencemen isn't exactly spectacular.

While I am firmly against any substantial value being placed on Saros, the Leafs do need to find a way to get at least 1 top half of the lineup player back in the deal.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

There is zero precedent for any goalie to get a Marner caliber player

Saros isn’t Hasek.

I don’t think Nash has realistic pieces unless Toronto is much higher on a prospect we don’t know about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad