Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

Ledge And Dairy

There's almost zero chance he goes to free agency. He's either getting traded and extended or if there's no viable option to trade, they will extend him.
I don't agree with that, his agent is someone who very strongly encourages his players to test free agency because he believes they've earned it. If he doesn't make it to FA then oh well there are other players of Marner's caliber

Ledge And Dairy

huh? I see your premise is playoff teams. I disagree with it but adding seattle?
I mean you listed a bunch of teams that are either within the division, or are no where near contending. Teams like Chicago and Anaheim are not going to spend premium assets to acquire a rental. I should have clarified that he might waive to a team like Detroit but there's no chance Toronto would trade him there. A team like Buffalo either can't afford him or Toronto will ask for non-starters like Cozens.

As for Seattle, I explained that in an earlier post. It's a relatively desirable location due to weather, team potential, no state tax, new arena, etc

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You guys have been trying the “no name garbage goalie” for like 6 years now and you end up blaming the loss on them every single year.

The answer? More no name bad goalies, obviously!

A mediocre goalie without severe mental issues under pressure would be good enough, I would venture to suggest that scoring 2 goals a game is bigger problem. It’s ok if the goalie gets beat on good shots, all of Andsersen, Campbell, and Samsonov get beat on the first shot of the game or random floaters because the pressure gets to them.

Either way doesn’t change the point that the good goalies that win the cup tend to not be on a post-Vezina expensive retirement contract, they tend to win on their last RFA deal under 6 mil. Top 15 goalie at 3-6mil with more money spent on D tends to beat top 5 goalie at 9+.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
And Utah?

8x$12M is one thing for a UFA. I'd pay that too in Nashville. But I wouldn't trade much for 1 year of him at $10.9M and then no guarantees on what happens after that. He's a fine player, but he's not going to make any real difference to us for 1 year. Saros makes a ton more difference.
With a deal like this and the player having an NMC, I'm sure there will be contract discussions and he will go to a location he's willing to sign

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't see L'Heureux, or Molendyk being available. One is exactly the type of player Trotz wants, the other dang near made the team last season. I think just about anyone else would be available outside of Askarov and Evangelista.
I keep hearing this a lot. I must say I’m baffled Preds fans would be more willing to move on from Wood or Kemell than they would L’Heureux or Molendyk…
Really??

L’Heureux has caused so much trouble I didn’t think he had so much value and Molendyk isn’t exactly a Quinn Hughes type of prospect… he’s good but not great.
Kemell and wood are potentially elite prospects I feel…. I figured those two along with askarov would be our most valuable prospects…. Am I wrong?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
With a deal like this and the player having an NMC, I'm sure there will be contract discussions and he will go to a location he's willing to sign
Maybe, but not guaranteed. You could easily have situation like this with Saros and Marner where both players need to be signed but are just traded as is and its up to each team to sign them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I keep hearing this a lot. I must say I’m baffled Preds fans would be more willing to move on from Wood or Kemell than they would L’Heureux or Molendyk…
Really??

L’Heureux has caused so much trouble I didn’t think he had so much value and Molendyk isn’t exactly a Quinn Hughes type of prospect… he’s good but not great.
Kemell and wood are potentially elite prospects I feel…. I figured those two along with askarov would be our most valuable prospects…. Am I wrong?
Yes. You apparently haven't been paying attention. L'Heuruex has gotten his stuff together in the last 2/3's of the season and is currently #2 in the AHL playoffs in points. He also plays the style of game that Brunette wants to play. Molendyk was almost on the team last season, the only reason he wasn't was Trotz basically told Brunette no.

Kemell and Wood had okish seasons in the AHL and College but nothing to write home about.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I don't see L'Heureux, or Molendyk being available. One is exactly the type of player Trotz wants, the other dang near made the team last season. I think just about anyone else would be available outside of Askarov and Evangelista.

so basically 4 prospects are not available for a 90pt winger, got it

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
How soon could a marner trade happen?
Like could it happen tomorrow? When playoffs are over? After June 1st?
What is most likely?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
so basically 4 prospects are not available for a 90pt winger, got it
That has 1 year left on his contract, is not built for the playoffs, and is going to cost $11-12 mil to re-sign?

It's not that unreasonable. especially when you consider Guentzel didn't return a 1st or blue chip prospect.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Nashville doesn't have the assets just from my perspective as a Toronto fan.

Saros is nice but he's 29 and you'll need to pay him at 30 years old for probably not his best years...and that costs what? 6.75-8.5M for 6-8 years? The last sub 6 foot goalie to win a cup was Tim Thomas.

Keep in mind the goaltending prospect portion of the pool looks fantastic - Woll needs to stay healthy, Hildeby is knocking on the door for NHL minutes and Akyamatov just won VHL playoff MVP & also looked good in his KHL call up.

The secondary pieces to fill the gap like a 1st, Wood etc all aren't that appealing.

I have to imagine another team could offer more.

Age 30-35 are most goalies best years

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Saros for Marner is the kind of move TOR needs to do if they want to win in the PO. I wouldn't do it from NSH POV, Marner is a great talent but doesn't make you win comes PO time

Reactions: Sundinisagod

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do

Tkachuk had a year remaining, it came with an extension which got Calgary the value that it did.

People have 20/20 hindsight all of a sudden but Tkachul returned a 115 pt winger and a top pair RD

I expect Marner will do better than most would think

Before anyone brings up Tkachuk/Marner playoffs...Marner's PT/game in the playoffs is better than Tkachuk's was in Calgary.

Marner will bring back a good return but at the time Tkachuk was 24y and getting better.
+ He signed a 9.5x8 deal with Florida, Marner is already making about 11M and needs a new contract

Right now the reputation is set for Marner that he is who he is, elite regular season player but you don’t build anything around him, looking for a massive UFA deal

So you bringing up Tkachuk like that is useless, there were too many major differences to use him as any kind of comp

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Trading Marner for a goalie would be so stupid.

This years runaway Vezina winner (Hellebuyck) couldn't stop a beach ball in the playoffs. Last years Vezina winner isn't even the starter on his team anymore. Vasilevskiy was complete ass. Meanwhile, the cup winners last year were led by a random 3rd stringer and we have Silovs vs Pickard (who?) battling it out in the 2nd round. Sorokin looked like a world beater now he sucks.

Goaltending position is a total crap shoot these days. Gone are the days of stable, rock solid #1's like Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Hasek, Joseph, etc.

We risk losing a 100 point winger who is good defensively just to potentially end up with yet another keeper with a .901 sv% and 3.08 gaa.

Anderson looked good for Toronto, then trash, now good again for Carolina. I have no faith in this position to be giving up a premium asset for it.

I'd have no more faith in Askarov or Sarros than I do in Woll next year.

You should probably ask Boston& Tampa what it does for your team& confidence when you are getting consistent elite goaltending.
Tampa just went to 3 Cup finals and Boston has been able to stay consistent high end team for the past 10+ years but sure those days are gone

Or Florida the last couple of years

I bet they are regretting having the goalies they have and have had..

Marner sure as heck hasn’t done anything to help the Leafs win in the playoffs, elite goaltender would be a massive confidence boost to that team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad