Speculation: NSH interested in Marner

shootpucktouchdown

May 16, 2024
No leafs fan said anything about buying out marner. You literally just made that up

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville and Carolina should be the only teams on that list. He's certainly not waiving to any of the others.
You can probably safely add Seattle, Dallas, and Vegas.
And Utah?

Friedman on Kyper and Bourne a week ago said the following:
- Marner wants 11.5-12 x 8
- 20+ teams will be willing to pay that if he hits UFA
- Teams have already begun calling about Marner

I'm inclined to believe Friedman regarding the point of teams calling. It doesn't have to mean there are advanced discussions, it's teams checking in to see what's going on as they are potentially interested
8x$12M is one thing for a UFA. I'd pay that too in Nashville. But I wouldn't trade much for 1 year of him at $10.9M and then no guarantees on what happens after that. He's a fine player, but he's not going to make any real difference to us for 1 year. Saros makes a ton more difference.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Because that NTC is the difference of you getting a good goalie or not. Marner could say F it and stay in Toronto and Saros never comes to Toronto.
Sure. What trades has Marner rejected? Toronto can also refuse to trade Marner even if he wants to go. He only has a year left, and it not as if Toronto is stuck with the contract. Teams sometimes take a step back so they can take three steps forward.

Last edited:

Ledge And Dairy

Seattle is a team I can see having a bounce back season. They aren't a bad team
This too, they made the playoffs last year and also have a brand new arena. While Smith is a great new owner for the Utah Hockey Club they still don't have an arena yet and the attraction to the city just isn't as high as Seattle. I think the Kraken are much more appealing at this point in time

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
This too, they made the playoffs last year and also have a brand new arena. While Smith is a great new owner for the Utah Hockey Club they still don't have an arena yet and the attraction to the city just isn't as high as Seattle. I think the Kraken are much more appealing at this point in time
It's just a matter of what Seattle would be willing to give up, cause despite what everyone is saying in this thread, I don't see the leafs giving away marner for anything less than a substantial package

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Nashville doesn't have the assets just from my perspective as a Toronto fan.

Saros is nice but he's 29 and you'll need to pay him at 30 years old for probably not his best years...and that costs what? 6.75-8.5M for 6-8 years? The last sub 6 foot goalie to win a cup was Tim Thomas.

Keep in mind the goaltending prospect portion of the pool looks fantastic - Woll needs to stay healthy, Hildeby is knocking on the door for NHL minutes and Akyamatov just won VHL playoff MVP & also looked good in his KHL call up.

The secondary pieces to fill the gap like a 1st, Wood etc all aren't that appealing.

I have to imagine another team could offer more.
It's basically the prime yrs of a goaltender. Late 20s to like 34. And Toronto is win now so it'd be a great fit I think.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I’m open to getting Marner but I’m not open to trading top prospects for him. Saros tomasino and a pick is all I would want to do and that might even be to much. Does Marner and his 12 million potential contract make us a true contender? Maybe but I’m not sure. That’s a lot of cap for a team that has almost 12 million in dead cap. If I’m Marner and I don’t want to be in Toronto I would play this year out and choose my next destination. The ball is in marners court and if he only wants to waive to a few teams then that lowers the ask in my opinion. Toronto wanting a kings ransom isn’t gonna happen in my opinion.

Reactions: Armourboy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Bob’s the only one paid like an elite forward in the cap era other than Vasi’s second cup where they had a 9.5mil LTIR boost to cancel out his raise and then some. There’s a lot more cap era examples of no name goalies making no name money going to the finals than there are of top of the pay scale guys.
You guys have been trying the “no name garbage goalie” for like 6 years now and you end up blaming the loss on them every single year.

The answer? More no name bad goalies, obviously!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And Utah?

8x$12M is one thing for a UFA. I'd pay that too in Nashville. But I wouldn't trade much for 1 year of him at $10.9M and then no guarantees on what happens after that. He's a fine player, but he's not going to make any real difference to us for 1 year. Saros makes a ton more difference.
Can’t go 8 years for a UFA. Limited to 7. Leafs have this extra year as their only leverage over Marner.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Something around Marner and Nylander for jusi and saros?

Make this a blockbuster for the ages

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Nashville and Carolina should be the only teams on that list. He's certainly not waiving to any of the others.
You can probably safely add Seattle, Dallas, and Vegas.

huh? I see your premise is playoff teams. I disagree with it but adding seattle?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
We're not trading Josi. :laugh: And if we were moving BOTH we wouldn't be looking for wingers over 25.

Would be a hell of trade though, right?

Nashville needs offensive firepower and the leafs need defense and goaltending

Sounds like a match made in heaven, to me. Go hard or go home!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Juuse Saros - Extended at 9M per for 8 years
Logan L'Heureux
The highest of their 2024 2nd rd. picks

for

Mitch Marner - Extended at 11.5M per for 8 years
Dennis Hildeby

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Would be a hell of trade though, right?

Nashville needs offensive firepower and the leafs need defense and goaltending

Sounds like a match made in heaven, to me. Go hard or go home!
Trading an 80-95 point Norris winning defenseman when we need defensemen and offense doesn't make sense for us. I'd move Josi in a Ray Bouquien deal when he's 38-40, if he hasn't won a cup by then, otherwise he probably stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad