Now that the Leafs have settled on their lines and pairings, what do you think?

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Seems like we're running the following lines and pairings (the exact order of lines is still up for debate):

Van Riemsdyk-Kadri-Komarov
Matthias-Bozak-Parenteau
Winnik-Spaling-Lupul
Grabner-Froese-Holland

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Harrington-Polak

Besides wishing that we'd use Lupul in a more offensive role, I'm pretty happy with the way things have worked out. The talent isn't great, but we're making the most of it.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I like the defensive pairings.

I think that Parenteau, Grabner, and Froese aren't very good. Spaling would be a good 4th line C... but I don't think he has enough offensive skill to be a 3rd line C.

I'm not really sold on our forward lines. I just think that things could be better. For the time being, I would at least switch Holland and Parenteau. If we swapped out Parenteau, Grabner, and Froese for Leivo, Panik, and Nylander... now we could have some good forward lines.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
With our current roster, I'd probably do something like this:

Winnik - Kadri - Lupul
JVR - Matthias - Holland
Komorov - Bozak - Boyes
Grabner - Spaling - Parenteau

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I like the defence pairings.

Up front, I like the JVR Kadri Komarov line. They don't always produce but they are playing well. If I were to make a change it would be to change the right wingers around on the other 3 lines. Something like this

JVR Kadri Komarov
Mathias Bozak Lupul
Winnik Spaling Holland
Grabner Froese Parenteau

I think Holland would look good playing wing on the checking line. I'd also like to see Lupul get more of a offensive role.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I'd rather have Boyes in the lineup than Grabner. Rather have Marincin/Corrado over Polak as well. Other than that, I'm happy with the lines and pairings though.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'd rather have Boyes in the lineup than Grabner. Rather have Marincin/Corrado over Polak as well. Other than that, I'm happy with the lines and pairings though.

Oh man, I totally forgot about Boyes. I'd like to see him in the lineup over a bunch of guys, definitely anyone on the bottom line (and he will get back in soon I think, the healthy scratch is rotating). He's got great production, in fact he's leading the team in ESP/60 despite poor linemates, and he's no slouch defensively either.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Seems like we're running the following lines and pairings (the exact order of lines is still up for debate):

Van Riemsdyk-Kadri-Komarov
Matthias-Bozak-Parenteau
Winnik-Spaling-Lupul
Grabner-Froese-Holland

Rielly-Hunwick
Gardiner-Phaneuf
Harrington-Polak

Besides wishing that we'd use Lupul in a more offensive role, I'm pretty happy with the way things have worked out. The talent isn't great, but we're making the most of it.

I like Lups where he is. He looks comfortable and is playing like a boss. Perhaps he likes being THE most skilled player on his line? Makes him feel responsible for his lines performance?
All in all I feel babs has balanced the line like he was an elite coach that knows hockey and people. Lol

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
actually tonight we saw spaling demoted in favor of Froese - which is nice because Spaling has been our worst forward and has been way overplayed. He's been dragging down Winnik even.

Personally I would try a Holland-Froese-Lupul scoring line and then a Winnik-Spaling-Grabner 4th line checking line and see what happens. based on ice time though it doesn't seem like babcock is ready to promote holland yet.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
God we have an awful line up with not much skill to show :laugh:

We have a long way to go and there are some good pieces there that we can move with.

We do have a long way to go. But crazy thing is, we've been winning of late. Even before that, we were competing, and keeping the games tight for the most part, against teams with a lot more firepower.

Our offense currently = facepalm.

But we all know once players/forwards like Nylander/Marner/Brown, as well as players with an outside chance like Leivo make it to the big team, we're going to have one hell of a punch. I can't wait. :)

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm liking the lines as is personally.

Maybe swap PA and Lupul but I am fine with the rest.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
While these lines are generally playing very well, it's hard to not imagine how they'd look with a couple of skilled forwards sprinkled into the mix. Outside of the top line, they lose a lot of offensive zone control after they get in due to guys who just don't have the skill to control the puck.

Replace Spaling, Grabner and Matthias with players who can handle the puck and this team is pretty dangerous. Oh, look, there's three such players on the Marlies: Nylander, Lievo and Soshnikov.

Note to self: patience, grasshopper.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
There are a few offseason pickups that I think we could keep past this season. Obviously Hunwick is on a 2 year deal but he'd be a good 4/5/6th defenceman for us next year. I like Spaling, think he's a great 4th line centre. This team has played great the last 2-3 weeks. Theyre playing with my heart but I'm okay with that.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

Marincin over Polak? Don't understand the Polak hate, he's been solid. Marincin is absolutely terrible.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think that Corrado might set a record for longest time on a roster during the season before playing his 1st game with said team.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think Lupul and Komarov should swith spots. Otherwise, I'm ok with the combinations.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
PAP and Grabner aren't doing so hot at all.

All the other lines are fine, and working.
Bozak and Matthias are finally getting it together, a bit.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I think Lupul and Komarov should swith spots. Otherwise, I'm ok with the combinations.

Leo is on that line to do exactly what Leo does; take the body and get retrievals for JVR and Kadri. Lupul is also benefiting from playing with two grinding type players, and giving that line a scoring threat which is by design.

As far as overall changes to the lines, I'm quite fine with the lines, but the I'd like to see a change to the 2nd PP unit. I like Winnik as much as thhe next guy, but he can't be on the PP. So I'd like to see Leivo or Panik brought up to possibly replace him there.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Leo is on that line to do exactly what Leo does; take the body and get retrievals for JVR and Kadri. Lupul is also benefiting from playing with two grinding type players, and giving that line a scoring threat which is by design.

Ya, no need to move Komar down and Lupul up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad