Speculation: Now that Dubas is gone rate the HF Aftermath (His drafting)

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Dubas will not be trading firsts any longer to deal with bad contracts.

Now that he's gone, let's take a look at who's left. Perhaps you can call this his Final Drafting Report Card.

Did he bolster this team for the future?

Who's our best prospects now?

Knies
Woll
Robertson

Who am I missing? How many draft picks do we have in the next 2 seasons?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
His drafting was better than Hunters, think he will be around Burke/Nonis for drafting

We got a lot of NHLers out of the 2011-2014 drafts

2011; Josh Leivo

2012: Rielly (top 5 pick), Brown (steal and great pick for round 6), Toninato (4th liner/AHLer)

2013: Gauthier (bust but played near 200 games) Verhaghe (stud pick that developed in his journey to the NHL), Andreas Johnsson (good pick for 7th rounder, had a disapointing year will see if he bounces back for cheap)

2014: Nylander (8th OA but good pick with Ritchie being a name that was right there), Engvall (good pick for a solid bottom 6 player), Dakota Joshua (good pick for a 5th, looking like he will be a good 4th liner)

Dubas
2018: Sandin, Durzi, and Holmberg NHLers

2019: Maybe Robertson if he can bounce back

2020: Niemela and potentially hirvonen

2021: Knies

2022: Moldenhauer and the KHL kid look good picks

Probably see those names be NHL players and some quite good ones in 3-4 years time for the entire group

Reactions: The Iceman

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Now that he's gone, let's take a look at who's left. Perhaps you can call this his Final Drafting Report Card.

Knies
Woll
Robertson

And Rodion Amirov...I hope the kid could live a normal life...though I'd really wanted Brayden Schneider...could have been the ideal Justin Holl replacement.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Dubas' real strength was his development. When he was made the GM of the Marlies he turned them into an NHL factory and leveraged the ECHL team to develop lower tier projects players.

Here's a list of players produced by the Marlies prior to Dubas taking over as AGM. I limited it to players who spent at least 1 season with Marlies and went onto and play 100+ NHL games.

We're going from 2005-2014: Korbnian Holzer, Jiri Tlusty, James Reimer, Matt Fratin, Nazem Kadri, Sam Carrick, Greg McKegg, Josh Leivo

Here's what they produced after Dubas:

Connor Brown, Andreas Johnsson, Frederik Gauthier, Pierre Engvall, William Nylander, Zach Hyman, Travis Dermott, Carl Grundstrum, Liljegren, Sandin, Trevor Moore, Mason Marchement, Justin Holl, Kasperi Kapanen.

What stood out about Dubas is he never let a prospect just flounder just because he didn't draft them. He always stuck to the prospects as long as he could. Sometimes it was a negative - Jeremy Bracco comes to mind, but we ended up producing multiple NHLers from out of nowhere because of Dubas.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Knies
Woll
Robertson

Woll wasn't him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
And Rodion Amirov...I hope the kid could live a normal life...though I'd really wanted Brayden Schneider...could have been the ideal Justin Holl replacement.

In that, he will slowly become hated by the fans because he is not good.

Schneider is not good.

Mercer was who I wanted, didn't know enough about Amirov, but after watching him after the draft, I think we took the best player.

Maybe this says it all...

Regardless, it is still too early to tell.

Reactions: vpasla1 and Lauro

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Dubas was good at drafting which makes the Tavares signing even worse. If he had read the blueprint and kept building the team through the draft. Once they got close enough they could fill holes through FA and trades.

$25-50 million mistake on his resume.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Regardless, it is still too early to tell.

I like Cushman a lot but that tweet is kind of weird. I get the point of only starting to track from 2018 to compare both GMs but to exclude 1st rounders because it fits a narrative is meh, but even then Dubas does a lot better I think.

I think Dubas is really good at what he does and definitely seems much better at finding talent in the cracks but that tweet is basically just Durzi being drafted as a overager and being NHL ready before much younger players.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
the Ceiling on Amirov was just too high to ignore. ...but, MRI of the brain isnt a routine part of the combine.
Though, I really hope, testing for Myocarditis will be a standard test in the combine going forward.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Do you even give credit for 2018 to Dubas?

Kinda ... he was GM at the time, but was named GM in May 2018, a month before the draft likely after everything was finalized.

Even the talking heads are saying the next draft (2023) isn't an issue even without a GM because they've likely already got the list. TSN hockey guy, not Button ... name escapes me ... said they'll just use their list that would already be created. Whatever few games are left to be played aren't going to change anything dramatically anyway.

So, 2018 ... is kind of where Dubas is in charge of the draft, kind of like 2023 is kind of where X is in charge.

So 2019 forward ... Amirov highest pick at 15.

Robertson ... sigh

Knies looks like a player.

A handful of maybe's.

Too soon to call.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kinda hard to do so when half his picks are not even professional players yet. This thread is 3 years too soon

Yep. Especially since the Leafs draft range for Dubas' tenure was the back half of each round, majority of picks too being mid to late round picks.

The Leafs 2018 class has seen like 6-7 guys play at least one NHL game so far, but are still at the development stages of getting their feet wet into being full time NHLers.

2-3 years from now we'll definitely have the final idea. I'd say it looks like it's been pretty good.

Probably would have been better if management had traded less picks too (but that's another issue entirely)

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I like Cushman a lot but that tweet is kind of weird. I get the point of only starting to track from 2018 to compare both GMs but to exclude 1st rounders because it fits a narrative is meh, but even then Dubas does a lot better I think.

I think Dubas is really good at what he does and definitely seems much better at finding talent in the cracks but that tweet is basically just Durzi being drafted as a overager and being NHL ready before much younger players.

Excluding first-rounders is good in my opinion... How are you supposed to compare a team like Buffalo who drafted in the top 10 every year and 1st twice with a team like Tampa or the Leafs who always draft fairly far back?

Dubas found the overage though... He'd be 6th for games played by 2nd rounders in 2017.

What does "much younger" mean to you? It looks like there is a year difference for Durzi, that doesn't seem much older.

I guess there should be some filter for teams who drafted large players who take less time to become NHL ready too.

The bottom line is it is too early to tell on most of these drafts, but Dubas has performed well by games played and by how the players are trending, a lot of them are rising.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Kinda ... he was GM at the time, but was named GM in May 2018, a month before the draft likely after everything was finalized.

Even the talking heads are saying the next draft (2023) isn't an issue even without a GM because they've likely already got the list. TSN hockey guy, not Button ... name escapes me ... said they'll just use their list that would already be created. Whatever few games are left to be played aren't going to change anything dramatically anyway.

So, 2018 ... is kind of where Dubas is in charge of the draft, kind of like 2023 is kind of where X is in charge.

Robertson ... sigh

A handful of maybe's.

Too soon to call.

Based on how the drafts before went... I'm assuming Dubas took control of the 2018 draft and it is his.

It's also a little different if he was not in the organization before, but he was AGM.

Reactions: Lauro and Menzinger

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022

Knies
Woll
Robertson

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Woll is the best leaf goalie draft pick since Felix. Felix went 31st overall and Woll went 62 overall.
Serious contribution by Hunter.
Picking a good goalie has got to be the toughest thing in hockey.
Long live Hunter!

Hunter did one good thing at the draft table, Woll does look like a great pick, I'll give him credit for that. He just fell short on pretty much everything outside of the 1st round and Woll.

I have hope for some of our goalie prospects now (mostly Peksa and Hildeby), but super happy we have Woll and Sammy as young goalies.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

Robertson ... sigh

A handful of maybe's.

Too soon to call.
I 2018, the scouting staff that hunter put in was still intact. I believe that many a
Hunter did one good thing at the draft table, Woll does look like a great pick, I'll give him credit for that. He just fell short on pretty much everything outside of the 1st round and Woll.

I have hope for some of our goalie prospects now (mostly Peksa and Hildeby), but super happy we have Woll and Sammy as young goalies.
I think Hunter gets a bad wrap. Looking at his picks, there wasn't any real misses from the alternatives that were ranked in those tiers.
He also didn't operate by himself. The scouting staff has a lot of input...a staff that he assembled and stayed into Dubas' tenure

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I 2018, the scouting staff that hunter put in was still intact. I believe that many a

I think Hunter gets a bad wrap. Looking at his picks, there wasn't any real misses from the alternatives that were ranked in those tiers.
He also didn't operate by himself. The scouting staff has a lot of input...a staff that he assembled and stayed into Dubas' tenure

I am sure there were philosophy changes and staff changes under Dubas.

My big gripe with Hunter is 2016 and 2015.

I've heard (unsure if true), Dubas wanted Debrincat, we took Korshkov.

In 2015, there was just so much talent and we seemed to miss on everything (Dermott is still a good second rounder, I guess)

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I am sure there were philosophy changes and staff changes under Dubas.

My big gripe with Hunter is 2016 and 2015.

I've heard (unsure if true), Dubas wanted Debrincat, we took Korshkov.

In 2015, there was just so much talent and we seemed to miss on everything (Dermott is still a good second rounder, I guess)
Debrincat is a small small player. He wasn't a slam dunk by any stretch

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad