Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

p_ink_y9

Oct 9, 2005
my dad is thinking of sending me there, im from australia and a huge hockey fan, i skate whereever i can, work on my skills all the time, what are youre thoughts on the school? ive seen the dvd, it looks awesome, but i want to know what the reputation is like there, and how there hockey program is
thanks

Alot of people either love it, or hate it, as far as sports go. It's a very well respected university with a large alumni network. EVERYONE knows Notre Dame. They have a BEAUTIFUL campus, but the town of South Bend is kinda dumpy. My friends who go there love it.

Their hockey team is a competitive NCAA program (CCHA), not near the top, but very good ice hockey nontheless. They play in the Joyce Center with the basketball teams. Not sure if they have a club team you'd be able to play for, since I don't attend there.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
No, he thought you were referring to Notre Dame University in Indiana.

The one in Wilcox has a fine reputation as well, though, and the hockey program is as good as they come. You'd almost certainly have a future NHLer or two as a classmate.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Yeah the one in Wilcox is pretty good. My brother was going to go there, but instead he wants to go to a prepschool in the States for lacrosse instead.

heatley15

didn't Vincent lecavalier go to the notre dame in the Sask school?...anyways i heard it was a great school....A lot of people come from around the world to that school though.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I live about 90 minutes from the Notre Dame School in Wilcox. It is, bar none, the best hockey school on the planet. They have a proud history and tradition there. Strong Bantam and Midget AA and AAA hockey programs, and a junior hockey team that is usually in the top 5 of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League. A lot of players who go to Notre Dame get NCAA college scholarships, and a handful of Notre Dame alums get drafted by the NHL this year. Notable graduates include Curtis Joseph, Rod Brind'Amour and Brad Richards from the junior program, and Vincent Lecavalier from the midget program. The Maple Leafs once iced The Hound Line - Gary Leeman, Russ Courtnall and Wendel Clark - who all played at ND.

The rink is international-sized, but ironically the highlight is the lobby. Pictures of all their prominent graduates hang proudly. You can spend an hour just looking at all the great players who went to school there.

If you can withstand the isolation (it's about 30-40 minutes from the nearest cities), I'd recommend it. Wilcox only has about 100-150 people, and the community only exists because of the school.

Incidentally, one of the former coaches at Notre Dame, Kelly Lovering, coached the Australian national team for about for years in the late 90s/early 2000s. You wouldn't happen to know him, would you?

There are a couple other impressive hockey schools in Saskatchewan: Caronport High School, which has great infrastructure and plays in a pretty strong midget league (I believe Ryan Smyth played there for a while), and College Mathieu, which is in Gravelbourgh and is rapidly rising among the ranks of Canadian hockey schools.

p_ink_y9

Oct 9, 2005
ive heard of lovering he played in the semi pro leagues here, i think for west sydney

p_ink_y9

Oct 9, 2005
surpsisingly popular, its quiet u dont hear much on tv about it but the attendance at games is always full and whenever u talk about it people are always interested, at the national tournaments the crowds are unbelievable

nic29+

May 5, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
p_ink_y9 said:
surpsisingly popular, its quiet u dont hear much on tv about it but the attendance at games is always full and whenever u talk about it people are always interested, at the national tournaments the crowds are unbelievable

I don't think the crowds are that great at home games for there though. They had a game here this winter because they don't have the people. But at any other rink it's amazing. Their Junior games I'm talking about.

p_ink_y9

Oct 9, 2005
nic29 said:
I don't think the crowds are that great at home games for there though. They had a game here this winter because they don't have the people. But at any other rink it's amazing. Their Junior games I'm talking about.

that was our national junior team, they were on their way to bulgaria or something, they go to osoyoos and all that every year, they play practice games against canadian teams to get prepared for the international tourney, i remember in 2003 i was playing in the peewee national tournament and they had the midget tournament at the same time, same rink, u could not hear urself think in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad