Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Not saying he was awful but he was outscored, xGF% below 50, most possession metrics too. Guy was saying Henrique could put us over the top when he wasn't even doing that when he was playing.
I don’t remember when he got hurt but I recall the scoring chances being lopsided when he was on the ice for at least the first 4 games. Maybe I’m wrong.

Plus he drives the crease and can be physical. He also has an accurate shot which would be great to have against Silov who I think has great pad work. Not saying he would be the difference but the Oilers could really use a healthy Henrique. It has been a series of inches in my opinion. A healthy Henrique for let’s say Perry could be that inch.

Last edited:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That last goal was quite the display. Very sleepy play by Bouchard, and McDavid leaves Miller all alone. Also gave up the zone in record time with a bad change from Ekholm

The positive is that our top guys couldn't possibly be worse than this. Our bottom six and goaltending showed up. If we can keep that, and our top guys play like they should, we can win two more
Yeah just rolled it back a few times. Not the kind of play a playoff team makes in the final minute of a game. Very passive from all counts.

Weak clear from Hyman that essentially allowed them to regroup with speed through a neutral zone with no resistance. Bad change by Ekholm doesn't allow Nurse to get his gap on Lindholm. There's no urgency for 97 to tie up Miller's stick or to beat him to the rebound. That initial shot got through Pickard, too.

This game was a poor approach wholesale. Vancouver walked all over us and we just let it continue to happen.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This team has zero grit or intensity. If the bottom six can't score at least build a bottom six that wears the other team down. All our bottom six does is exist and try not to get scored on.

Hopefully the new GM can find a way to fix all or most of our problems for next season.

How many years in a row now can we lose to the backup or third string goalie? We're playing a 21 year old rookie and just giving him easy saves.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well if we're looking at history Wayne Gretzky had a lower PPG in the playoffs and he did fine.

It's poor measure, especially when we're talking about moving from 1.52 to 1.57. Still an improvement and still one of the best of all time.
Wrong. I provided the article and graph. Wayne production is elevated in playoffs. Of course Connor is one of the best players of all time. The story and article shows which players have elevated the most all time, and complete with what coefficients of elevation. Everybody we think of as big game hunters, playoff legends like Mess, they elevate. So did wayne, so did Kurri, so did Glenn Anderson, they all see greater production in playoffs vs regular season. does it matter? Yeah, in the most important time in seasons where margins are slim it can be the difference maker.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Lol what a f***in joke. If this is how checked out Holland was, then why the f*** was he even allowed to handle the TDL. Not a good look.

Also, CBJ are idiots if they hire Holland. I can’t see them being that dumb. I bet they rescind any offer when they hear Holland interview and realize he’s a senile moron.

They’ve shown to be one of the dumbest franchises in league history, so don’t be surprised by anything they do

Reactions: TB12 and Ibanez

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
This team has zero grit or intensity. If the bottom six can't score at least build a bottom six that wears the other team down. All our bottom six does is exist and try not to get scored on.

Hopefully the new GM can find a way to fix all or most of our problems for next season.

How many years in a row now can we lose to the backup or third string goalie? We're playing a 21 year old rookie and just giving him easy saves.
our bottom 6 scored last night

the top line was atrocious

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Our 4th line was the best by a mile last night. It was the top 6 that didn’t do their jobs.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They’ve shown to be one of the dumbest franchises in league history, so don’t be surprised by anything they do
True. But I’d love to see Holland answer this question “Tyler Wright was trash here in CBJ, so why did your hire him in Detroit then rehire him in Edmonton?”

f***in try to explain that one Holland.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The effort in a pivotal game 5 was the most embarrassing part of yesterday. How many free slot chances untouched have we had all series like we gave to Miller, let alone with 30 seconds left? Contending teams don’t make unfocused mistakes like that, let alone playing an entire game asleep.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
True. But I’d love to see Holland answer this question “Tyler Wright was trash here in CBJ, so why did your hire him in Detroit then rehire him in Edmonton?”

"Why did you make an excuse every single year in Edmonton on why you couldn't go all in for the Oilers?"

Holland doesn't GM to win. Just collects paychecks and rides the coattails of Detroit's Hakan Andersson. Biggest f***ing fraud in the league.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Doubt they even ask that. As much as this team is a management and coaching graveyard, CBJ will take what they can get. I think there’s a reason they kept Kekalainen around for so long, and it wasn’t because of his success (I think he was solid but made some critical mistakes)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Doubt they even ask that. As much as this team is a management and coaching graveyard, CBJ will take what they can get. I think there’s a reason they kept Kekalainen around for so long, and it wasn’t because of his success (I think he was solid but made some critical mistakes)
Guess we’ll see. If they want Holland, by all means take him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah Mcdavid maintaining his level of production from the regular season in my eyes is pretty impressive considering how much of his game is based around his speed and shiftiness. He gets mauled 10x more in the playoffs with a fraction of the calls because “that’s playoff hockey”, so seeing him not slow down at all, especially when his regular season production is consistently at the top of the league is impressive.

Draisaitl meanwhile is much more suited for playoff hockey. The regular season is insanely long and his play style can be incredibly taxing, so when each series is as short as it is, he can afford to go all out every single night and leave it all on the ice.

Both are amazing in different ways, but I definitely think mcdavid has the most potential for seeing a drop off when the refs put away the whistles or aren’t making consistent calls on the hooks and holds.
This is a good response. But for years I've been saying I would want to see far less out of McD in regular season and more in playoffs. Even the contemporaries like Mackinnon, Rantanen, and Landeskog are doing it, and for them being far better in playoffs meant a cup win. Now obviously more variables at work and such but man I was so frustrated with McD in game 4 and 5 where any drop of something from him could have made such a difference. Particularly last night. He has 1 single PP assist in last 3GP. Not getting it done.

Gonna disagree a bit. Connor McDavid is a world class speed skater. One of the fastest player to have put on skates. Not just that but when on his best possible game he can make plays with the puck with speed. McD has more size, height, faster stride to evade defenders than Gretz did. he should be harder to shutdown. He should be getting open ice. He should still be able to do that. McD is also strong. He's stronger than a lot of the forwards he's facing but somehow being controlled. Sure holding. They can't hold you if your speed prevents them from touching you.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Wrong. I provided the article and graph. Wayne production is elevated in playoffs. Of course Connor is one of the best players of all time. The story and article shows which players have elevated the most all time, and complete with what coefficients of elevation. Everybody we think of as big game hunters, playoff legends like Mess, they elevate. So did wayne, so did Kurri, so did Glenn Anderson, they all see greater production in playoffs vs regular season. does it matter? Yeah, in the most important time in seasons where margins are slim it can be the difference maker.

Wrong, and it's pretty simple math, don't know what your chart is saying and don't really care because it isn't accurate if its pointing you in the direction of Gretzky scoring more in the playoffs.

Playoffs - 382/208 = 1.84

Regular Season - 2857/1487 = 1.92

And that's with a lot of his lower regular season production years later in his career included. Not near as many playoff games post prime. Picking the cup years for simplicity.

Even in his prime, his PPG in the playoffs was lower.

1984 - 2.72 regular season; 1.84 post season.

1985 - 2.60 regular season; 2.61 post

1987 - 2.32 regular season; 1.62 post

1988 - 2.33 regular season; 2.26 post

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wrong, and it's pretty simple math, don't know what your chart is saying and don't really care because it isn't accurate if its pointing you in the direction of Gretzky scoring more in the playoffs.

Playoffs - 382/208 = 1.84

Regular Season - 2857/1487 = 1.92

And that's with a lot of his lower regular season production years later in his career included. Not near as many playoff games post prime. Picking the cup years for simplicity.

Even in his prime, his PPG in the playoffs was lower.

1984 - 2.72 regular season; 1.84 post season.

1985 - 2.60 regular season; 2.61 post

1987 - 2.32 regular season; 1.62 post

1988 - 2.33 regular season; 2.26 post
Its an adjusted coefficient. and I think it adjusts as well for players who have spent too much time playing. In anycase the study I cited had Gretz above the line so I'll look more into how they had it that.

In anycase you are right, sorry, I was trusting the article stats on that which I shouldn't have done.

I do apologize.

Last edited:
Reactions: K1984

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah, I did f*** all to go all in for my team, but here I am going to CBJ quietly. Fire this piece of shit.

What a f***ing asshole.

I don't give a shit if his contract is up. Wait until the end of the f***ing year, not when your current team is fighting for their lives in the second round.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Evenly matched game, tonight? No way...Agreed that Pickard was excellent.

Both teams are similarly constructed and played pretty evenly, and neither in top form. Both goalies played well.

The score was tied 2-2 with under a minute left.

I'm not saying Vancouver didn't play better, but if that's not evenly matched to you I don't know what to tell ya.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
What a f***ing asshole.

I don't give a shit if his contract is up. Wait until the end of the f***ing year, not when your current team is fighting for their lives in the second round.
Right???? Have the decency to at least be there in person for your current team to watch them whether they win or lose. The jack ass did f*** all for the TDL and he's mainly at fault for the oilers problems. Yet he quietly boards a plane to CBJ with his 25M from the Oilers. Draisaitl and McDavid deserved a whole lot more than Ken useless f***ing Holland.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Our team is pretty good. Henrique may have been all we needed to get over the top

And how good would we be if Buch or Guentzel got hurt for the playoff run. Right where we are now!
And, looks like Guentzel didn't help the Canes noe did he.
No our team is not "pretty good" our 3rd line is a complete joke with a 40 year old a perimeter player and who else they're rotating.

We've had to break up our "top defense pair" because they're both awful together.

Our goaltending is a joke like last year and the season hinges on Calvin pickard winning 2 games.

Much much better players than Henrique were moved in the year.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The effort in a pivotal game 5 was the most embarrassing part of yesterday. How many free slot chances untouched have we had all series like we gave to Miller, let alone with 30 seconds left? Contending teams don’t make unfocused mistakes like that, let alone playing an entire game asleep.

Lots actually, But the players want to be cute and pass the puck in.

Example Drai and Ceci 2 on 1. You have a 50 Goal scorer uncontested on his off wing... He passes to a dman (Keep watching the play it ends ugly)

Oilers players refuse to shoot from prime locations. They want to pass the puck into the net, and if they decide to shoot they A: Miss the net completely B: Take so long to decide to shoot the opening has closed C: Shoot it at the goalies crest because they took to long and the goalie had time to set up

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
I think they’ll go with skinner just to wake the team up. Might as well go with your best guy if your seasons on the line and hope he figures it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad