Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sure, thats fair. Take me back from over reactions in the moment, I actually appreciate that.

But. This is where I'm going with this. McD is the same player in regular season vs playoffs he doesn't elevate. His stars are barely better in playoffs..Most superstars in playoffs have been able to find an extra gear. Not McD generally.

Heres all time McD regular season (all in P/G. ) 1.52 He also has .519 G/G in regular season.

In playoffs McD is almost identical. 1.57 and .525 respectively. Numbers so close as to be virtually identical.

Now contrast with the current king of playoffs production, Leon Draisaitl

Leon is a superstar, but a relatively ordinary one in regular season. Not gonna break many alltime records.

Compared to McD he gets much less done in regular season 1.18PPG. Still great, but not close to McD. In goals Leon is surprisingly .408 G/G in regular season.

But somehow Drai, unlike McD elevates his game incredibly in playoffs and exceeds all McD numbers.

Playoffs Drai ramps up to an amazing 1.66PPG and .661G/G So that Drai career in playoffs is incredibly better than his regular season /game numbers. Almost 50% better.

A wish that McD would elevate more in the only time in seasons that is ultimately important.

I'll take the player that elevates his game and production totals in playoffs every time over the one that doesn't.

To be fair, it is quite difficult to raise your PPG above 1.52 to begin with.

I have some problems with how McDavid played last night and this series in general, but I don't think it's fair whatsoever to allege that he isn't a playoff performer.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'd think about this for Game 6 (assuming Henrique is good):

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Leon - Kane
McLeod - Henrique - Gagner
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

Foegele and Perry scratches. Would love to scratch McLeod too, but there isn't a logical replacement. Would probably actually deploy the 4th line with more minutes than the third.
I think McLeod has had box cars for the last 10 games but like you say, who draws in?

And yes, Perry looks to be stuck on the interstate without a gas can. Foegele is a friend of Mc-D's but has 2 points in the playoffs.

I don't think these 2 guys will be returning to the Oilers next season so perhaps its time to just accept it and move on.

Sam has fresher legs and playoff experience. I'm not sure if Henrique is ready to return but in do or die situations you just have to suck it up.

Apr 29, 2017
People talking like we’re done.. game 6 is in Edmonton and anything can happen in a game 7 when you have mcdrai on your side.
1 PPG would have changed things, but there was no energy and they got dominated. They looked spent and/or hungover.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't think it was nerves. Couldn't match the Canucks intensity which I feared their response to Tocchet's callout on effort. McDavid and Bouchard were horrible on the PP, lots of confusion between the two of them near the blue line several times. Neither responded well to aggressive, fast PK that forced mistakes and turnovers. They never got on track for any dangerous opportunities. Losing face-offs and the Oilers were always starting 200 feet from their net. Worst game for Hyman. Looked slow. But if no-one can put pucks to the net (or choose not too), this team leaves its 50 goal net front beast in the bullpen.

Pickard saved this team from an even worse result. Agree about the players you named. Will add Line 4 which actually created offensive chances and a goal while were great support PK guys.
I thought they looked gassed from the 2nd period on. Not many guys had wheels going.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
C85EEA49-CFAA-4AC5-9D0C-E123AC8AD94E.jpeg
Couldn’t put my finger on who Knob reminded me of but it’s Lloyd Braun of Seinfeld fame

Serenity now, insanity later

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I have some problems with how McDavid played last night and this series in general, but I don't think it's fair whatsoever to allege that he isn't a playoff performer.
Except thats not my assertion or what I stated. I stated that McD produces the same in regular season vs playoffs. He doesn't elevate his production. Not being able to elevate appreciably in playoffs, it matters. Some of the greatest players do.

One needs to consider the context that McD is by miles the greatest player on Earth. He's above peers any 82 game season, almost always. But in playoffs somehow he's not. He's more reeled in.

Trust me too, history won't be kind to this. A player that gets shutdown, and only scores 2 goals in a playoffs, and shutdown even by the likes of JT Miller. That don't go down well. It will be that kind of thing mentioned as to why, if he never gets a cup. And increasingly its looking like never happening here.

Of course with the disappointment being right now in the moment it probably skews my view on this presently.

This is further to what I'm saying as well in relation to Drai vs Leon in playoffs/regular season.

Drai is established, already, as one of the legend outperformers in playoffs of all time. McD is hugging the line. Same production as regular season. Theres a graph in the article thats really interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: gretzkyoilers

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think he would actually be ok if he played with literally any other players. If he had a C that was allergic to pushing the puck anywhere near the slot or net front and another winger that wasn't an incompetent fool, he could probably play along and clean up some garbage down low.

With McPussy at C, the puck never gets low. Perry has to be the guy pushing puck net front, but he's the trailer and he can't skate so it doesn't work. He needs to come out, but I almost feel like it isn't his fault. He's just playing with the complete wrong players.
So we are calling McDavid McPussy now.
I must have missed that memo.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

McDavid is completely worn down. First by LA and now by a much deeper Canucks team.

The Oilers depth isn't nearly good enough.

haha one of the laughing bros just tagged me with a smiley emoji over Bouchard shitting the bed.

Reactions: vcanuck

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Yeah Mcdavid maintaining his level of production from the regular season in my eyes is pretty impressive considering how much of his game is based around his speed and shiftiness. He gets mauled 10x more in the playoffs with a fraction of the calls because “that’s playoff hockey”, so seeing him not slow down at all, especially when his regular season production is consistently at the top of the league is impressive.

Draisaitl meanwhile is much more suited for playoff hockey. The regular season is insanely long and his play style can be incredibly taxing, so when each series is as short as it is, he can afford to go all out every single night and leave it all on the ice.

Both are amazing in different ways, but I definitely think mcdavid has the most potential for seeing a drop off when the refs put away the whistles or aren’t making consistent calls on the hooks and holds.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So we are calling McDavid McPussy now.
I must have missed that memo.
Mc-D will bounce back in game #6. He's played a lot of hockey this season and looks spent but he'll reach deeper for this game. Miller won't get to play rodeo calf with him as much for this tilt either.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Except thats not my assertion or what I stated. I stated that McD produces the same in regular season vs playoffs. He doesn't elevate his production. Not being able to elevate appreciably in playoffs, it matters. Some of the greatest players do.

One needs to consider the context that McD is by miles the greatest player on Earth. He's above peers any 82 game season, almost always. But in playoffs somehow he's not. He's more reeled in.

Trust me too, history won't be kind to this. A player that gets shutdown, and only scores 2 goals in a playoffs, and shutdown even by the likes of JT Miller. That don't go down well. It will be that kind of thing mentioned as to why, if he never gets a cup. And increasingly its looking like never happening here.

Of course with the disappointment being right now in the moment it probably skews my view on this presently.

Well if we're looking at history Wayne Gretzky had a lower PPG in the playoffs and he did fine.

It's poor measure, especially when we're talking about moving from 1.52 to 1.57. Still an improvement and still one of the best of all time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Yeah, I did f*** all to go all in for my team, but here I am going to CBJ quietly. Fire this piece of shit.

Lol what a f***in joke. If this is how checked out Holland was, then why the f*** was he even allowed to handle the TDL. Not a good look.

Also, CBJ are idiots if they hire Holland. I can’t see them being that dumb. I bet they rescind any offer when they hear Holland interview and realize he’s a senile moron.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Mc-D will bounce back in game #6. He's played a lot of hockey this season and looks spent but he'll reach deeper for this game. Miller won't get to play rodeo calf with him as much for this tilt either.
I agree with you...I have no doubt that McDavid will bounce back.

Reactions: D0ctorCool

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

Yeah, I did f*** all to go all in for my team, but here I am going to CBJ quietly. Fire this piece of shit.

He's on the exit ramp now so let him interview with whomever he likes.

Its time for a younger person to take over, even if the Oilers come back to win the series.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Mclellan not a good coach, Tippett not a good coach, Woodcroft not a good coach, Knoblauch not a good coach.
When do you guys ever tire of scapegoating the coach? It's always been a GM issue with poor roster construction and a player issue with poor mentality when the going gets tough. Yeah the Oilers always seem to hire passive coaches that make poor adjustments but they've also gotten dealt shitty hands with shallow rosters, poor defense and poor goaltending. Only so much you can do with like 5-6 legit players and a bunch of replacement level guys.
Look at the depth of the rosters of Dallas, Colorado, NYR, Carolina, Florida, Vegas etc. and look at the Oilers. It's not really that close when you go man to man down the line.

The roster is flawed and it’s costing them agreed. But how many passive coaches that make costly mistakes in the playoffs win the Cup?

Still some story to be written for three of those coaches but McLellan has actively cost his teams Cups, especially the Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad