Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Thing is the powerplays were actually there for us for once. The Canucks were getting called on their bullshit, we just didn't take advantage.

As good as our PP is, it probably clicks at about 5% when we really need it (to tie the game, go up in a game, build a bigger lead, etc).

We almost never take the opportunity to actually bury a team with it. When we really need a goal, we often f*** it up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Gagner isn't good enough. We don't want to screw with the pk, so we don't want to take out any of Ryan, Janmark or Brown, so where does Gagner fit? Maybe in place of Perry? Foegele maybe, but he actually looked good last night and has been good on the pk. McLeod? Who comes out?
You take out Perry. He has been shit this whole time.
f***ing try something new. None of the bottom 6 sans Janmark has been good enough to not pull out.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As good as our PP is, it probably clicks at about 5% when we really need it (to tie the game, go up in a game, build a bigger lead, etc).

We almost never take the opportunity to actually bury a team with it. When we really need a goal, we often f*** it up.
I don't agree. We have been clicking on the pp all series this series when it needed to - to take a lead, etc. I don't think we can blame the pp just because the Canucks finally had a good pk for a game.

gretzkyoilers

Apr 17, 2012
If so, then they’ll never be more than a playoff team but not a contender.

I don’t think that’s it, it’s just Tochett has them playing a style of speed, tempo, and voracious forechecking. They had their chance to be up 3-0 in the series but shit goaltending (again) let them down.
THIS and is how the Penguins won their last cups. Edmonton CAN play this way, and they need this intensity next game.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
It’s always been bad timing with the Oilers and getting the coach they need. Hindsight thinking but the guy they needed is across the bench from them right now. No bullshit, he runs the team, not the stars. Holland not trading Ceci because “he’s a good dude and the guys didn’t want him traded” just shows who is really running the team and no balls letting the inmates run the asylum.

Yes, I know Tochett was available when Tippett was canned, and as Woodcroft had the Condors on a roll and took the Oilers to the WCF when he was brought up, was the quick hire replacement. If Woodcroft flopped as the interim, maybe they looked at other options instead but he didn’t.

I think Knoblauch will be a good coach as well but he’s got a lot to learn about playoff hockey at this level.
Rookie coaches don't win the Stanley Cup, I like Knob but it was a strange hire for a win now team

No doubt he did well in the regular season though

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You take out Perry. He has been shit this whole time.
f***ing try something new. None of the bottom 6 sans Janmark has been good enough to not pull out.
Ryan has been. He isn't scoring, but Derek Ryan on the PK has been key.

Perry maybe. He does look too slow out there. I just hope Henrique is ready next game. Henrique being back would help a lot.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ryan has been. He isn't scoring, but Derek Ryan on the PK has been key.

Perry maybe. He does look too slow out there. I just hope Henrique is ready next game. Henrique being back would help a lot.
If Henrique is healthy you pull out Brown and Perry.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Vancouver had the balls to sit Mikheyev and Lafferty last name and get some fresh legs in the lineup and it paid dividends. Knoblauch's turn.

Perhaps one of the misfit crew Kenny Holland dealt a first, a fourth, and a fifth for? Is Carrick dead?
We traded for 3 players at the deadline and none of them are playing. Stecher isn't even at practice like wtf lol

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Then Pull Foegele, or McLeod.
Change it up.

I'd think about this for Game 6 (assuming Henrique is good):

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Leon - Kane
McLeod - Henrique - Gagner
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

Foegele and Perry scratches. Would love to scratch McLeod too, but there isn't a logical replacement. Would probably actually deploy the 4th line with more minutes than the third.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd think about this for Game 6 (assuming Henrique is good):

Holloway - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Leon - Kane
McLeod - Henrique - Gagner
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

Foegele and Perry scratches. Would love to scratch McLeod too, but there isn't a logical replacement.
Most likely lineup will be

Drai - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Henrique - Kane
Holloway - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Foegele

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Who cares? Henrique is nothing compared to some of the other acquisitions in the year. Just look at what Vancouver has done in their first playoffs. They've gone all in.
Our team is pretty good. Henrique may have been all we needed to get over the top
Henrique was Plan C. Give up a tad more and we get Buch for two years or Guentzel.

Rico wasn't moving the needle that much
And how good would we be if Buch or Guentzel got hurt for the playoff run. Right where we are now!
And, looks like Guentzel didn't help the Canes noe did he.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Our team is pretty good. Henrique may have been all we needed to get over the top

And how good would we be if Buch or Guentzel got hurt for the playoff run. Right where we are now!
And, looks like Guentzel didn't help the Canes noe did he.
Before his injury every single one of Henriques metrics were in the negatives.

Apr 29, 2017
Perry has to come out. My concern was that he would be too slow for this series but that his sandpaper and smarts would overcome the skating deficit. He is a pylon out there and has shown no grit and no emotion.

Reactions: Yuke

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Perry has to come out. My concern was that he would be too slow for this series but that his sandpaper and smarts would overcome the skating deficit. He is a pylon out there and has shown no grit and no emotion.

I think he would actually be ok if he played with literally any other players. If he had a C that was allergic to pushing the puck anywhere near the slot or net front and another winger that wasn't an incompetent fool, he could probably play along and clean up some garbage down low.

With McPussy at C, the puck never gets low. Perry has to be the guy pushing puck net front, but he's the trailer and he can't skate so it doesn't work. He needs to come out, but I almost feel like it isn't his fault. He's just playing with the complete wrong players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ok this is a ridiculous post… 97 was a beast the last two playoffs…. This is the first year he has looked like this
Sure, thats fair. Take me back from over reactions in the moment, I actually appreciate that.

But. This is where I'm going with this. McD is the same player in regular season vs playoffs he doesn't elevate. His stats are barely better in playoffs..Most superstars in playoffs have been able to find an extra gear. Not McD generally.

Heres all time McD pts regular season (all in /G. ) 1.52 He also has .519 G/G in regular season.

In playoffs McD is almost identical. 1.57 and .525 respectively. Numbers so close as to be virtually identical.

Now contrast with the current king of playoffs production, Leon Draisaitl

Leon is a superstar, but a relatively ordinary one in regular season. Not gonna break many alltime records.

Compared to McD he gets much less done in regular season 1.18PPG. Still great, but not close to McD. In goals Leon is .408 G/G in regular season.

But somehow Drai, unlike McD elevates his game incredibly in playoffs and exceeds all McD numbers.

Playoffs Drai ramps up to an amazing 1.66PPG and .661G/G So that Drai career in playoffs is incredibly better than his regular season /game numbers. Almost 50% better.

A wish that McD would elevate more in the only time in seasons that is ultimately important.

I'll take the player that elevates his game and production totals in playoffs over the one that doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad