Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
They traded a good player (Kuzmenko) with term for a rental in Lindholm (maybe he re-signs, but that's not a given). Podkolzin hasn't done much in his career yet, bottom 6 or otherwise. Not a great way to end up for such a high pick but better than the busts Wright has been drafting I guess. Most of their bottom 6 has regressed after their torrid starts, particularly after their team slipped back the last third of the season. They only kept 1st in the division because no one else wanted it. Their winning % dropped heavily. Demko is an elite goalie but this isn't the first time he's been missing significant time with injury, it could be a pattern. This team has been light on Silovs and the Preds are no offensive dynamos either. They would have Demko back next round but he could both be rusty and not 100%.

Again, there are no guarantees and with their regression in the last third of the season and being outplayed nearly every win they have in the playoffs, I don't really see a great team. I see an Oilers team that is beating themselves yet again. Poor management has exasperated their plight and some of the shine has worn off on KK with poor goalie management (Skinner should have been sat since game 1's giveaway by a coach with balls) and a refusal to sit other underperforming players. I think Tocchet is overrated but he's schooling KK right now. I think DeBoer would chew him up and spit him out, frankly

We both agree in some sense that a good portion is the Oilers losing this series, though likely disagree on how much the Canucks are winning it. They have had lots of quiet players as well including their vaunted face of the franchise in Petterson who has never done much in the playoffs. Their best players have been the ex Flames
Kuzmenko was a fortuitous cap dump. Not a fit for Tocchet who didn't like the player, didn't play the player, and wasn't thrilled at his choice to train in Bali. Addition by subtraction whether Lindholm resigns or not. If Canucks beat Edmonton and get three round playoffs, Lindholm is a good rental buy with secondary prospects given up. Podkolzin is a hopeful depth guy who can add size and physical fit to Tocchet's culture (or an add-on trade chip).

The Oilers had a chance to steal first in the division. Exact revenge against the Canucks. Then lost to their #2 organizational goaltender. It was there for the taking. Thus far the Oiler haven't extracted the revenge they earmarked after two lopsided early losses. Hard to diminish the fact they did hold first place.

There's excellent Stanley Cup pedigree management, a really good coach (way better than I ever imagined), and a solid core group to build around. Could they regress to a non-playoff team? Maybe? But this looks more to me as a team that is developing into a regular playoff team and maybe eventual contender .

This is the Oilers window. This was to be their breakthrough playoffs. This series was to be a quick and easy one before moving onto elite top contenders. It's a product of Oilers weaknesses - goaltending - and some bad decisions like Bouchard tonight, Foegele previous but also a nasty opponent that mirrors its coach and has been resilient, lucky but also creating luck with their work rate and high motor. Unfortunately results are results and it's 3-2 Canuckles. Oil can absolutely win two to take the series. But the season result is a harsh reality that this has been a very tough matchup.

Reactions: barry halls

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
They didn't trade any A prospects in their deadline work. Podkolzen who can fill a bottom six role. They've found support players like Dakota Joshua and others. Have an elite goaltender that hasn't played. Strong management that have won Cups and has been locked in their coaching hire and off-season work to build up quality of support players.

They're a developing team, not a great team. This is a leap season and now a playoff where they are learning to win. Finding ways through their adversity to do so. Regress? Maybe. But there's a solid foundation.

Oil have more than had their handsfull with an opponent that everyone was taking lightly. They've done self-damage (again) with sub-average goaltending until Pickard; costly mistakes; but Canuck top players are giving the Oilers top players a handful. Notably top line hasn't been good enough.
Nucks will struggle to be a wildcard team in future. They do not have the talent to explain their goals scored, team shooting % or anything like that. nor do they have elite D. They have an elite rover who can barely defend when pressured down low.

The Nucks were doing so well the head coach had to sent a riot message to team and scratch 3-4 of the players. Theres basically 3 good forwards on the whole team. Dakota isn't something I'd bank on either. Garland is decent but he's playing way over his head too. Like his life depends on it. maybe they're feedng him pills on the bench. ;)

its striking, totally that two of the best Nucks players are from the Flames. That in itself says what a house of cards the rest is. Boeser and Miller are legit forwards. Lindholm. After that who? struggling Petey who will never escape the weight now of a contract he can never earn? Canucks fans haven't turned on him yet but only a matter of time.

Petey buyout or buyback of some sort is inevitable for that team to have any hope of cap structure to build a competitive team. Petey is worse than Nyqvist for the preds once the playoffs start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Agreed. Nill is a top 3 GM, he's essentially been able to do two complete re-tools within the last decade. First go around was Seguin, Benn, Klingberg, Bishop. Now is Pavelski, Robertson, Hintz, Oettinger, Heiskanen, Johnston, Stankoven. I do think he benefits from the market he's in, as there's very little pressure in Dallas. The Cowboys are perennial chokers and no one gives a f*** about hockey in Texas, which affords him time and patience to effectively re-tool and build through the draft.

They know how to draft too. Even have pieces in their farm team that are progressing well. Us? Still waiting for the likes of Bourgault to even show a pulse offensively. Absolute shit of a pick.

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Meh, im not that mad. A lot if not most of us know that this team is not good enough to win a cup. That silly fanboy/girl just comes out and you get all giddy and you think ohhh anything can happen, but deep down you knew this would be the result.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
They know how to draft too. Even have pieces in their farm team that are progressing well. Us? Still waiting for the likes of Bourgault to even show a pulse offensively. Absolute shit of a pick.
Dallas was running Stankoven-Borque-Blumel as a line on their farm team. Meanwhile I'd check the Condors scores and they used a pp unit of Griffith-McKegg-Caggiula-Dineen-other AHL lifer for a non-trivial amount of time. Development on this team is shit. You can say they pick the wrong guys, which they likely do, but at some point you have to get at least one guy that pops. VD is a good story, but he'll never put up more than 10 pts a season in the NHL. How about the Oilers develop a guy that puts up 30 pts in the bottom 6? Other teams seem to have these guys sprout up all the time, hell some of them are undrafted players.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You should watch some Drop episodes and listen to how Wright would talk about prospects and team needs. “Do we want more jam in the bottom 6 or more skill”

It’s all very surface level assessments that could be done on HF Oil. No deep dives into analytics, no deep dives into the teams needs, just surface level pseudo scouting. How he landed on XB was particularly concerning, seemingly no analysis done on the Mavrick Borque factor, another actually good prospect the Stars landed on. So the stars probably KNEW that Borque drove results for that line, and Wright couldn’t see it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Dallas was running Stankoven-Borque-Blumel as a line on their farm team. Meanwhile I'd check the Condors scores and they used a pp unit of Griffith-McKegg-Caggiula-Dineen-other AHL lifer for a non-trivial amount of time. Development on this team is shit. You can say they pick the wrong guys, which they likely do, but at some point you have to get at least one guy that pops. VD is a good story, but he'll never put up more than 10 pts a season in the NHL. How about the Oilers develop a guy that puts up 30 pts in the bottom 6? Other teams seem to have these guys sprout up all the time, hell some of them are undrafted players.
Oh I know about our farm team players getting specific minutes. Colin Chaulk's a garbage coach too. No way should young prospects get lesser minutes compared to Greg fricken McKegg of all players.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Nucks will struggle to be a wildcard team in future. They do not have the talent to explain their goals scored, team shooting % or anything like that. nor do they have elite D. They have an elite rover who can barely defend when pressured down low.

The Nucks were doing so well the head coach had to sent a riot message to team and scratch 3-4 of the players. Theres basically 3 good forwards on the whole team. Dakota isn't something I'd bank on either. Garland is decent but he's playing way over his head too. Like his life depends on it. maybe they're feedng him pills on the bench. ;)
Hope you right. We'll see. Look like a solid developing team with excellent management. Think they fire Garland into the sun even with a good series he's had. Joshua's going to get paid and probably not deliver on an overpay (wherever that is). Johnson is a great GM and created in-season deals where everyone said it couldn't be done. Think that's a big asset.

I think alot of Tocchet's pressers have been for gamesmanship. He's hardcore iron in his belief system and that's been transferred onto his team.They wobbled to start tonight and Oiler misfiring PP gave them belief. Pretty dominant game for the subsequent two periods.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kuzmenko was a fortuitous cap dump. Not a fit for Tocchet who didn't like the player, didn't play the player, and wasn't thrilled at his choice to train in Bali. Addition by subtraction whether Lindholm resigns or not. If Canucks beat Edmonton and get three round playoffs, Lindholm is a good rental buy with secondary prospects given up. Podkolzin is a hopeful depth guy who can add size and physical fit to Tocchet's culture (or an add-on trade chip).

The Oilers had a chance to steal first in the division. Exact revenge against the Canucks. Then lost to their #2 organizational goaltender. It was there for the taking. Thus far the Oiler haven't extracted the revenge they earmarked after two lopsided early losses. Hard to diminish the fact they did hold first place.

There's excellent Stanley Cup pedigree management, a really good coach (way better than I ever imagined), and a solid core group to build around. Could they regress to a non-playoff team? Maybe? But this looks more to me as a team that is developing into a regular playoff team and maybe eventual contender .

This is the Oilers window. This was to be their breakthrough playoffs. This series was to be a quick and easy one before moving onto elite top contenders. It's a product of Oilers weaknesses - goaltending - and some bad decisions like Bouchard tonight, Foegele previous but also a nasty opponent that mirrors its coach and has been resilient, lucky but also creating luck with their work rate and high motor. Unfortunately results are results and it's 3-2 Canuckles. Oil can absolutely win two to take the series. But the season result is a harsh reality that this has been a very tough matchup.
Really you shouldn't even post something like this. But especially tonight. Seems as if you're falling for that org or have a crush. ;)

Solid core? Two of the most solid players have been Zadorov and Lindholm but both seem at least half inspired to beat us just this once because of their flames days. We've seen both be ineffectual junk as well in Calgary. Other than that Nucks have Hughes and Petey unlikely ever to be significant in playoff action. They got Boseor and Miller not getting along, Boesere before wanting out. Its not even a deep lineup and their D isn't great either. Goaltending file they got.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

There is a lot of subjective speculation on both ends here so agree to disagree on the first three paragraphs.

And the last part, I'll reiterate people were dreaming thinking that the team that shit the bed in the beginning of the season, and stumbled towards the end were real contenders. This was a total trap series with a coach that's overmatched and only a handful of players showing up to play (not including the vaunted appointed starter, unfortunately, and the best player in the world that has 1 entire goal this series). Again, Oilers are making this team look better than they are. Will be a harsh reality check for Canucks fans and boosters when they meet a team ready to play. Two more chances for the Oilers to be that team

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You should watch some Drop episodes and listen to how Wright would talk about prospects and team needs. “Do we want more jam in the bottom 6 or more skill”

It’s all very surface level assessments that could be done on HF Oil. No deep dives into analytics, no deep dives into the teams needs, just surface level pseudo scouting. How he landed on XB was particularly concerning, seemingly no analysis done on the Mavrick Borque factor, another actually good prospect the Stars landed on. So the stars probably KNEW that Borque drove results for that line, and Wright couldn’t see it.

Staios and Coffey advocated for Johnston. That should've been the play. Not trading down from Wallstedt for Bourgault. I would've been fine with Wallstedt too as he'd be the future #1 goalie in this team's pipeline. Just brain dead decision making from this management over and over again. I ripped apart the pick on the thread on this site back then. To this day, I still haven't changed my mind even though others got all mad that I didn't like the pick for Bustgault

Reactions: jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

its striking, totally that two of the best Nucks players are from the Flames. That in itself says what a house of cards the rest is. Boeser and Miller are legit forwards. Lindholm. After that who? struggling Petey who will never escape the weight now of a contract he can never earn? Canucks fans haven't turned on him yet but only a matter of time.

Petey buyout or buyback of some sort is inevitable for that team to have any hope of cap structure to build a competitive team. Petey is worse than Nyqvist for the preds once the playoffs start.

Canucks had "arrived" during the bubble as well, from what I recall. The roster is worse than the current one, but not by as much as some would say. They fell apart the next season as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hope you right. We'll see. Look like a solid developing team with excellent management. Think they fire Garland into the sun even with a good series he's had. Joshua's going to get paid and probably not deliver on an overpay (wherever that is). Johnson is a great GM and created in-season deals where everyone said it couldn't be done. Think that's a big asset.

I think alot of Tocchet's pressers have been for gamesmanship. He's hardcore iron in his belief system and that's been transferred onto his team.They wobbled to start tonight and Oiler misfiring PP gave them belief. Pretty dominant game for the subsequent two periods.
Wouldn't put too much stock in it. Was the first game in the series the Nucks outplayed us and basically because our top 5 unit stunk the joint out. They never got off the plane. This is a Nucks team that hasn't been particularly good. They were not even particularly good against the Preds and without amazing puck luck they lose that series too.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Listening to Knob post game now. He sounds like he has a sore throat just like Ekholm. Hope a bug isn’t going through the whole team.
With the exception of the 4th line, the team looked lethargic. I wouldn't be surprised if the team was dealing with a bug of some sort.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Staios and Coffey advocated for Johnston. That should've been the play. Not trading down from Wallstedt for Bourgault. I would've been fine with Wallstedt too as he'd be the future #1 goalie in this team's pipeline. Just brain dead decision making from this management over and over again. I ripped apart the pick on the thread on this site back then. To this day, I still haven't changed my mind even though others got all mad that I didn't like the pick for Bustgault
Yeh for sure. The fact that someone in the Organization had inside knowledge of the Wyatt and we completely ignored it to give Wright the reigns is a huge fail. I didn’t follow that draft closely but I’ve never liked XB since we got him. I especially didn’t like XB in the preseason. Actually to start this year I was pretty down on the teams prospects. The only two guys I liked in the entire preseason was Kesselring and Hamblin, and they were the only ones to graduate to the show somewhat.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Holy sh** !!

Wouldn't even need to look at analytics to know McDavid hasn't played at his best.
I already expect to see the "McDavid was playing with a ____ injury and will have surgery that will have him ready for G1 of next year's regular season" shortly. He just hasn't had that extra explosiveness in his game or looking to make an extra unnecessary pass rather than shoot the puck.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Really you shouldn't even post something like this. But especially tonight. Seems as if you're falling for that org or have a crush. ;)

Solid core? Two of the most solid players have been Zadorov and Lindholm but both seem at least half inspired to beat us just this once because of their flames days. We've seen both be ineffectual junk as well in Calgary. Other than that Nucks have Hughes and Petey unlikely ever to be significant in playoff action. They got Boseor and Miller not getting along, Boesere before wanting out. Its not even a deep lineup and their D isn't great either. Goaltending file they got.
Trust me I'd love to be wrong. Asked about it I'll answer. Their team was underrated by some all year. Underrated by most hockey people coming into this series. And here we are. I never saw Miller outplaying McDavid. Always viewed Boeser as soft, finesse. That we could easily beat a non-Demko team.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yeh for sure. The fact that someone in the Organization had inside knowledge of the Wyatt and we completely ignored it to give Wright the reigns is a huge fail. I didn’t follow that draft closely but I’ve never liked XB since we got him. I especially didn’t like XB in the preseason. Actually to start this year I was pretty down on the teams prospects. The only two guys I liked in the entire preseason was Kesselring and Hamblin, and they were the only ones to graduate to the show somewhat.

I never liked the pick to begin with. It was just as stupid moving down for him like it was trading picks for Griffin Reinhart. Moves like that just continue to set this team downwards.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
With the exception of the 4th line, the team looked lethargic. I wouldn't be surprised if the team was dealing with a bug of some sort.
Some sickly nucks fan maybe coughed in their breakfast burrito in games 1-2…. Wouldn’t be surprised with that classless fanbase.z

I never liked the pick to begin with. It was just as stupid moving down for him like it was trading picks for Griffin Reinhart. Moves like that just continue to set this team downwards.
The entire Wright era has been a disaster. Small positive though is that atleast the Oilers realized this and canned his incompetent ass.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Trust me I'd love to be wrong. Asked about it I'll answer. Their team was underrated by some all year. Underrated by most hockey people coming into this series. And here we are. I never saw Miller outplaying McDavid. Always viewed Boeser as soft, finesse. That we could easily beat a non-Demko team.

By who exactly? The entire league was drinking the KoolAid after the hot start. People here won't like to hear it, but the Oilers are actually the underdogs here. The Canucks have home ice and had the better regular season (overall) and swept the season series. Yes, none of these things "really" matter, until they do.

And it wouldn't be the first time some talking heads at ESPN made an embarrassing decision to push the "odds" favourite, just ask the 2022 Flames who were expected to easily handle the Oilers, and didn't.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Very frustrating game. I could tell late in the first when we started icing the puck which type of game this was going to be. We were doing the same in game 1 for the record and it was obvious then as well. It's just f***ing brutal to piss away an actual solid start and a 4th line goal in what feels like forever, for a losing effort.

I'm honestly torn about the upcoming game(s). I could definitely see us coming out and blowing the doors off of them, but I've just had this feeling this whole round that was similar to Vegas last year. Difference is we're a better team than they are and have shown that in most games this series. Game 1 I felt we shit it hard. But the other games until tonight we have completely controlled. If only Skinner shit his clothes in the LA series, f*** me.

As for the depth scoring. We've been through how many bottom six guys that have had success elsewhere and come here and just DF'd their way through their tenures here, it's pretty evident that it's a systemic issue. These guys aren't really put in positions to succeed. Which is the coaches job, put your guys into positions in which they can flourish. However every coach we've had in the McDrai era has fallen back on what? Putting McD and Drai together when the going gets tough and playing them 30 minutes. Which works in the short term, but it's extremely detrimental to development. I realize our PP the last couple of years has been absolutely incredible to put it lightly, but you're not really giving anyone an opportunity to step up and show what they can become when the top PP goes out for a minute 45 every time. I feel the best way to get a player's confidence going is to give them some soft minutes. Look at what's happening in Dallas, their younger guys are difference makers, instead of shoving Seguin and Benn down everyone's throats because they were the guys, the younger guys are expected to contribute. And I realize McD and Drai are still in their primes and it's not really the same situation, but like tonight, after two PPs that looked like garbage, maybe give the opposing team another look. And like what the actual f*** is Perry doing on the PP? Guy doesn't have a point in the playoffs and kills every play outside of the move he made tonight. But like run a McLeod Holloway Kane PP for a minute and let's see what they can do. I wonder if they even get practice time on it or if they're just an afterthought.

Anyway, I may just say f*** it and get f***ing drunk big time Bubs on Saturday, but we're still in this. Just gotta be the first team to win two games in a row in this series. Bummer it's the last two games in the series. We also need some smart deployments and lineup changes jesus. Ceci, Perry, maybe Foegs, although I don't really hate Foegs. He just has absolutely no finish and usually clears the zone for the other team when he shoots LOL. Either way I'm hoping this is my last season tied to the shackles of this team because of how f***ing bullshit this league is win or lose. Be sick to go out on a cup though. Having said that, I'm a huge mark and will probably be back next season unfortunately. All is not lost.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Wouldn't even need to look at analytics to know McDavid hasn't played at his best.
I already expect to see the "McDavid was playing with a ____ injury and will have surgery that will have him ready for G1 of next year's regular season" shortly. He just hasn't had that extra explosiveness in his game or looking to make an extra unnecessary pass rather than shoot the puck.
Yes, I was thinking the same. McD can hardly elevate the puck and he's hesitant to shoot. Injured right from the start of the season.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Some sickly nucks fan maybe coughed in their breakfast burrito in games 1-2…. Wouldn’t be surprised with that classless fanbase.z

The entire Wright era has been a disaster. Small positive though is that atleast the Oilers realized this and canned his incompetent ass.

Don't think there's really much positives left when this team has barely anything left in their cupboards or draft picks. Wright f***ed us in the good quality prospects department and Holland traded our draft picks for underwhelming players in the NHL where we barely have picks anymore to even draft properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad