Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Face offs are only one part of the game.

They played like they were afraid of their own shadows. Never seen them so timid before. Even in the Colorado series when the Avs were up 3-0 they didn’t play like this.
Yep. the oilers beat themselves. Only time this hasn't been the case is against Colorado. its really the only time we've been beat by a team that should be beating us. This team either has mojo against fairlly weak teams in playoffs or loses their shit against teams that are either good or seeing good goaltending. Theres a point with this club where it seems a stiff wind will blow us over. That was the feeling with Winnipeg, Chicago, Even Vegas, and now this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Drafting. Developing. Not signing boat anchor free agent deals.

Something we aren’t very good at and haven’t been for several decades now.
Totally agree. But those are 3-5 year deliverables. Especially with draft picks leaned out running through this window. Absolutely can't afford bad free agent signings and will still need to flush Campbell's bad money. Brown's bonus is also on the books.

Tight window to try to move this team forward to a next level for Cup contention.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Never forget that the Oilers GM search was essentially down to Bill Zito and Kelly McCrimmon. Then when Holland was fired, without doing any further interviews and going off the word of Steve Yzerman (a rival GM who fleeced Holland in two trades shortly after), Bob Nicholson truncated the ongoing interview process to hire Holland without doing any further due diligence.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He was hot garbage at drafting in Detroit too. But hey, gotta hire muh friendsssss despite knowing their track record is garbage.
Wright was a p***y and a yes man too. Saw it at the draft, Holland suggested picking a goalie in the later rounds, Wright looked confused but just said yes anyways. Then pressed his scouts to pick a goalie any goalie. We ended up picking like a 7th goalie drafted that day, on a stupid off the cuff suggestion by Holland. No f***in way that goalie turns out. Our ONE scout in Finland kinda like the guy.

Reactions: McAsuno

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Good catch. That puck did hit the linesman skate. But does it matter if it comes off Drais stick or a Canuck? Maybe that’s why?

I’d want to relook at that play for a missed room many men too. The Nuck that went off the ice definately affected the play.

No, it is specifically in reference to the defensive team propelling the puck. If an attacking player propels the puck it's always offside.

I looked at the too many men too. By my count the change was clean, if anything they didn't have enough men on the ice for most of that exchange.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Never forget that the Oilers GM search was essentially down to Bill Zito and Kelly McCrimmon. Then when Holland was fired, without doing any further interview process and going off the word of Steve Yzerman (a rival GM who fleeced Holland in two trades shortly after), Bob Nicholson truncated the interview process to hire Holland without doing any further due diligence.
Is that what happened?

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Never forget that the Oilers GM search was essentially down to Bill Zito and Kelly McCrimmon. Then when Holland was fired, without doing any further interview process and going off the word of Steve Yzerman (a rival GM who fleeced Holland in two trades shortly after), Bob Nicholson truncated the interview process to hire Holland without doing any further due diligence.
Red Wings fans were extremely happy to get rid of Holland I remember

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Team would've won a cup or two with either of them as GM here and that's something I will stand by to this day. Holland only got hired because of his hockey canada bitch ass hush money shit burger overlord in Bob Nicholson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Him not taking a timeout when the nucks were starting to come back from a 3 goal deficit in G1 was the start of my dislike for him. I'm not saying a timeout would've changed the outcome in tonight's loss, but at least it shows that he's engaging.

If the message from him after the 2nd period in the room didn't pan out, then you use your timeout in the 3rd to try again. Not just stand there and continue to watch your team play like the most passive sons of bitches out there.
Quotable.

Yep. Quite a few moments in this series where a TO was required to readjust, recalibrate. tonight we could have used a lecture every period. Would like to know whats being stated between periods.

I hate to even think about this but why did the Oilers play their worst game of 2024 with Pickard in net? So strange. Seen it before this season as they played like shit at times with Campbell in net too.

Seems they play their best when they are scared Skinner will let beachbals and softballs in.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No, it is specifically in reference to the defensive team propelling the puck. If an attacking player propels the puck it's always offside.

I looked at the too many men too. By my count the change was clean, if anything they didn't have enough men on the ice for most of that exchange.
Ahh okay. Well that’s something that needs to be looked at. Could be an epic coaching / video coaching fail there.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
This team isn’t winning game 6. Coach and players treating it like regular season. Holland’s era will end with nothing accomplished.
I suspect you are going to be correct here ! Me thinks the Oilers have just sealed their fate ! :(

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Over the moon. Holland soon repaid some of their grievances by coughing up two 2nds for 13 games of Andreas Athanasiou.
Another shitty Holland move. And at the time I was under the impression Holland knew the player and could negotiate with the player. To keep him on if he was any good. Then AA just leaves after doing f*** all for us.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Quotable.

Yep. Quite a few moments in this series where a TO was required to readjust, recalibrate. tonight we could have used a lecture every period. Would like to know whats being stated between periods.

I hate to even think about this but why did the Oilers play their worst game of 2024 with Pickard in net? So strange. Seen it before this season as they played like shit at times with Campbell in net too.

Seems they play their best when they are scared Skinner will let beachbals and softballs in.

I don't know what goes on in the room so I can't comment on that part either. But holy f***, if your team is still playing awful in the 3rd after a 2nd, then use your timeout to get their heads straighten the f*** out. Tocchet's a good coach. I cannot say the same for Knoblauch.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Team would've won a cup or two with either of them as GM here and that's something I will stand by to this day. Holland only got hired because of his hockey canada bitch ass hush money shit burger overlord in Bob Nicholson.
Bill Zito constructed the Florida Panthers as we know them. Some notable adds are Reinhart, Verhaghe, Forsling, Tkachuk, Montour, Bennett.

Reactions: McAsuno

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Over the moon. Holland soon repaid some of their grievances by coughing up two 2nds for 13 games of Andreas Athanasiou.
Let's not forget this isn't the first trade deadline where dummy traded for a guy who couldn't even play due to injury. He's done these Mike greens, Derek Brassard type moves before where we got zero value.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Tulsky didn't get to build his team around two generational players.

Imagine canes with mcdavid and drai.

They at least tried to go all in with moves like Guentzel and Kuznetsov.
Us? Carrick, Henrique, and Stecher. Most passive f***ing of deadline moves a GM could make. Especially in his final year as GM with two of the best players in the world, that's his 'going out with a bang' type of trades.

Reactions: Keggatron

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Since we’re in shit on Holland mode. How could we forget his greatest hit. Signing Jack f***in Campbell without the assistance of a goalie scout. Which we hired a year f***in later.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Ahh okay. Well that’s something that needs to be looked at. Could be an epic coaching / video coaching fail there.

Yeah, the only excuse I could see would be that they weren't 100% sure how the league would interpret the rule. The league doesn't talk about this situation at all in their video rulebook. If it's my job to make recommendations to the coach on whether or not to challenge plays I'm making sure I know exactly how the league interpretes the rulebook.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Another shitty Holland move. And at the time I was under the impression Holland knew the player and could negotiate with the player. To keep him on if he was any good. Then AA just leaves after doing f*** all for us.
To further rub salt in the wound, Colorado traded two 2nds for Devon Toews the offseason shortly after Holland's AA blunder.

Reactions: Keggatron

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Bill Zito constructed the Florida Panthers as we know them. Some notable adds are Reinhart, Verhaghe, Forsling, Tkachuk, Montour, Bennett.
He also has an actual analytics wiz kid identifying these players in Sunny Mehta. Who I should add didn't need his dad to get him a job.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad