Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I value the attempt. I need a bit more time to feel different about this. McD has 1 PP assist in 3 games while really being next to awful in those games. That sort of thing doesn't happen to Generational Captains of SC contending teams. You can't just go to sleep for 2-3 games and be easily beat on pucks. Miller is owning the matchup. Needs to be said.

yeah we're not eliminated but it sure doesn't look good. We got our bushel of PP's tonight and totally wasted them. I don't see that happening again either. 2 sog goal in first 4 PP's for this club is pissing it away. The team choked.
Take your time then. I believe McDrai will respond. They arent torching playoffs scoring for no reason. Even the great ones don’t dominate every single game of the playoffs. Crosby didn’t, Ovie didn’t. In 1991, on way to his first Cup Lemieux put up 0 points in game 5 against the Devils, the loss put the Pens down 3-2. They came back and won that series on way to a Cup. Gretzky put up 0s in 2 losses on way to his first Cup. Adversity always comes with the journey. We are seeing adversity now and it’s up to McDrai to respond. They are great enough where we know they can.

Reactions: Keggatron

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The new GM has an impossible task because Holland swung and missed at everything substantial.

Nurse, Campbell contracts are anchors. Brown and Perry’s bonuses are a whole elite 3c. We don’t have a starting goalie and we need a whole 2nd dpair.

Broberg and Holloway are our only assets that might get us something but 2 assets don’t get you anywhere.

The amount of work the next GM will have to do will take years to actually pull off and we don’t have years.

Trade draft picks. We aren’t any good at drafting anyways.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If Henrique is healthy for game 6 he has to play.

Who comes out?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't think it was nerves. Couldn't match the Canucks intensity which I feared their response to Tocchet's callout on effort. McDavid and Bouchard were horrible on the PP, lots of confusion between the two of them near the blue line several times. Neither responded well to aggressive, fast PK that forced mistakes and turnovers. They never got on track for any dangerous opportunities. Losing face-offs and the Oilers were always starting 200 feet from their net. Worst game for Hyman. Looked slow. But if no-one can put pucks to the net (or choose not too), this team leaves its 50 goal net front beast in the bullpen.

Pickard saved this team from an even worse result. Agree about the players you named. Will add Line 4 which actually created offensive chances and a goal while were great support PK guys.
Lil Petey callout didn't even work though. The fans even chanting his name and really he got nothing done even with the linemates he specifically wanted. most of the time on the bench the guy looks like he's in severe need of antidepressants.

This isn't about what the Canucks are doing as much as about the Oilers being luled by LA Kings and not adjusting to this series. Like they figured it would be easier. When one looks at how ordinary pettersson and Hughes have been in this series one would think that only result in a series loss. But then McD plays 4 of the worst playoff games of his life being essentially nothing. First line was awful tonight and more awful considering the D pair is Ekholm Booch with them. What a waste of resources. They were all off tonight. All -2 as well.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
I think the Oilers have to talk to Drai this summer and get him resigned or move him in the offseason to clear some cap room and try and fix this mess. Rather than have another losing season and losing him for nothing.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The new GM has an impossible task because Holland swung and missed at everything substantial.

Nurse, Campbell contracts are anchors. Brown and Perry’s bonuses are a whole elite 3c. We don’t have a starting goalie and we need a whole 2nd dpair.

Broberg and Holloway are our only assets that might get us something but 2 assets don’t get you anywhere.

The amount of work the next GM will have to do will take years to actually pull off and we don’t have years.
We can fix it all by shipping out your boy Bouchard.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I value the attempt. I need a bit more time to feel different about this. McD has 1 PP assist in 3 games while really being next to awful in those games. That sort of thing doesn't happen to Generational Captains of SC contending teams. You can't just go to sleep for 2-3 games and be easily beat on pucks. Miller is owning the matchup. Needs to be said.

yeah we're not eliminated but it sure doesn't look good. We got our bushel of PP's tonight and totally wasted them. I don't see that happening again either. 2 sog goal in first 4 PP's for this club is pissing it away. The team choked.

Miller has outplayed McDavid this series.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I hope we can sign Drai this summer. Series is not over but there’s a chance we’ve only got one more game with him. If he flat out refuses to sign who knows what might happen

But still, that’s worst case scenario. If we win at home all the sudden things are looking different

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Even when the Oilers did set up the Canucks were on them. Not afraid to double up on McDavid either.
I thought that they played on their toes and picked their spots really well.
Couldnt execute the PK much better than that.
Down a man there’s no excuse not to control and move that puck if need be. Our execution and poise was all off tonight. It’s not how our PP vs their PK will look moving forward. It can easily flip back with some execution and poise when we get back to our top level game imo.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
when knob starts McD DraiHyman Bouch Ek on Sat,. and rolls them 30 mins....
8qcnfq.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the Oilers have to talk to Drai this summer and get him resigned or move him in the offseason to clear some cap room and try and fix this mess.
I expect that Drai and McDavid are going to have some conversations this summer.
One of those chats will likely be about whether or not they think that this team (with this Management group) can actually win a cup.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Henrique would’ve played the same way 90% of our team did tonight. Passive and timid.

They needed very specific things at the deadline and Holland struck out on most of them.
This team has been one goal away in each of its losses in this series. I understand the playstyle we prefer to see in the playoffs. But the margins between a loss and a win aren't as significant as many believe they are.

Give me Henrique because he improves our looks in the top six.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Foegele and McLeod played their best with Draisaitl. McLeod is not a good center and is playing on the third line. Put them back with Draisaitl and run a mix of Kane/Nuge/Brown/Janmark/Gagner/Ryan as the. Bottom 6
Then Kane and Nuge do nothing as they're both complimentary guys. RNH is not a play-driver. Kane, at least post wrist slash Kane, isn't either.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Miller has outplayed McDavid this series.
Yep. If that happens you lose. Flat out.

If a guy like Steve Kasper for the Bruins had outplayed Gretz in a series we wouldn't have those cups either. The greatest player on Earth has been shutdown by mortals, and even bested by them. Zero boxcars again tonight and -2.

This stuff goes down in history the wrong way. As the best player in a sport in the world these are your moments. You don't ever get them back.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Holland needed to add speed and motor. Deadline was a total failure and the chickens are coming home to roost right now.

Bruh, this is the Canucks. Who would they have added to get past these absolute juggernaut greatest team of all time??

Seriously, they had the depth to beat them without any adds

Skinner farted away two winnable games in the first 4. Maybe Holland should have gotten a goalie (all due respect to Pickard as he's played great but he shouldn't be starting). McDavid has been absolutely pedestrian, same with Hyman.

Walker, Duclair or whatever wouldn't be the difference

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Yep. If that happens you lose. Flat out.

If a guy like Steve Kasper for the Bruins had outplayed Gretz in a series we wouldn't have those cups either. The greatest player on Earth has been shutdown by mortals, and even bested by them. Zero boxcars again tonight and -2.

This stuff goes down in history the wrong way. As the best player in a sport in the world these are your moments. You don't ever get them back.
This series has also put the gretz mcdavid debate to rest.

There is no ways Wayne would have only 1 goal Vs the f***ing Vancouver Canucks.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Lil Petey callout didn't even work though. The fans even chanting his name and really he got nothing done even with the linemates he specifically wanted. most of the time on the bench the guy looks like he's in severe need of antidepressants.

This isn't about what the Canucks are doing as much as about the Oilers being luled by LA Kings and not adjusting to this series. Like they figured it would be easier. When one looks at how ordinary pettersson and Hughes have been in this series one would think that only result in a series loss. But then McD plays 4 of the worst playoff games of his life being essentially nothing. First line was awful tonight and more awful considering the D pair is Ekholm Booch with them. What a waste of resources. They were all off tonight. All -2 as well.

Petterson is a fraud.

Reactions: TB12

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Holland needed to add speed and motor. Deadline was a total failure and the chickens are coming home to roost right now.
Well it doesn't help that Henrique got injured. But it seemed like a soft focus in terms of team priority. I think they needed a hard 3C and felt they should have paid the price for Laughton, a guy with some term and younger, more bite. The biggest need was top 4 RD but that was a limited market with Tanev not being dealt to Edmonton.

This team misses Kostin and big, functional toughnesss in the bottom six. There's been no response to a way more physically aggressive opponent.

Reactions: Keggatron

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If Henrique is healthy for game 6 he has to play.

Who comes out?
He better be 100%. I didn’t like his lack’s seam coverage on the PK, so it’s a risk there to mess with something that’s working.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad