Post-Game Talk: Not good enough.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
I mean you say that but every coach has done it and it leads to us losing. So they aren’t forced they just aren’t good at getting the most from their players.
Every coach does it because every iteration of the McDavid Oilers have had absolutely shit depth and defense aside from the 16-17 Oilers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Leafs fans in this situation would throw in the towel. Let’s not be Debbie downers and completely tank any chance we have. If we believe we can’t win, it will self manifest as it does for the Leaf’s every single year since 1967. Be better, be Oilers fans.

So like I said get your pissing and moaning out of the way tonight, I know I will, then realize that our team with the two best players in the League can and will Win this series.
Hey, the team threw in the towel on this series during the second intermission, I lasted a little longer. I’m done ragging on them for the season, not worth the time right now. I’ll see you guys for the post season shit talk session on Sunday.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What are you suggesting? This team without McDavid or Draisaitl is not making the playoffs. After the top five nothing has any value to get anything worthwhile in return…add to that we are bereft of picks due to our less than stellar TD booty.

We be fooked

I never said trade McDavid or Draisaitl.

I’m saying the game plan of shit drafting and developing and winning 1 signing or trade out of 5 doesn’t work. Holland built an old slow team with poor depth scoring, an incomplete defense and no reliable goaltending which is also cap strapped.

We have a competitive team that will make the playoffs but not get far / like the Leafs out east.

So tear up the game plan- rid the halls of anything Holland, move salaries to retool. It’s too late now to draft and develop as 29 and 97 are down to 1 and 2 years.

Vancouver - the team that is likely going to beat us this series - rebuilt their defence over 1 year and made astute trades while Holland spun his wheels.

Rebuild this summer with the key of moving salary and it will cost us draft picks but who cares. We are past prime drafting time.

Reactions: Skar

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yes and for some reason we haven't made Hughes Miller and Pettersson pay the price.

Our GM didn't build our team for that. Our D is mostly stick wavers, Nurse included.

Almost every Canucks D is cross checking and hitting guys at every opportunity.

Reactions: frag2

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
It seems that during down times like this amoungst the board, that a "pick me up" is sometimes needed. Kind of like finding a little sliver of blue in the dark clouds. I will try to help in that regard for those that care for it. There is nothing like looking at nature scenes and the wonders of our world. Look at the beautiful calm water, for instance, as well as the lush green grass.
View attachment 872101
On a good day I struggle to break 90. A 150 would definitely be in the cards with her as your partner.

BIeucheeseWithWings

Jul 9, 2022
The f*** is even the point of radio anymore? Anytime I check in on ched to hear callers, I hear shitty commercials. f***s sake. gotta stick with Speedy Turtle on YT for my therapy.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is why they were the most hated fanbase in 2011 and everyone was cheering for Boston to cream them.

Unfortunately there are a lot of jealous morons that would rather that shitbag team oust the Oilers.

You'll see a lot of tunes change if / when that Cinderella team advances
If they do oust the Oilers on Saturday then they had better get ready for a reality check when they meet the Stars/Avalanche (based on what I have watched of that other series).

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Tank is empty and win or lose on Saturday the team has to get a bit younger. The average age of the top 5 forwards next season is 29.
Agreed, and I think it will happen regardless of the results of this post season. I can seen Ceci, Perry, Foegele, Campbell, Ryan and Henrique all being gone, and possibly a couple others.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Every coach does it because every iteration of the McDavid Oilers have had absolutely shit depth and defense aside from the 16-17 Oilers.
Our depth this year for the most part played quite well, and part of that was having the lineup be 3 lines deep and not trying to load up. So in the playoffs things get a little tight so they load up the top 6, then the bottom 6 struggles a bit so they just massively overplay the top 3, bottom 6 gets rusty from not playing much and voila you get Ethan Bear remembering how to skate after not seeing the ice for like 3 periods.

It’s a constant mistake from coaches we bring in and now we have a coach who does the same thing who doesn’t seem to have any energy, passion or motivation to him at all.
He is the Stuart Skinner of coaching.

Lenny Levino

May 15, 2024
Not even close to good enough, from pretty much top to bottom. McDavid has been pretty bad lately. I'm guessing must be an injury. Nucks showed tons of heart and determination tonight. We lacked both.
McDavid has played like 30 minutes per game. Of course he's gassed. That goes for Drai, Ekholm and Bouchard as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Leafs fans in this situation would throw in the towel. Let’s not be Debbie downers and completely tank any chance we have. If we believe we can’t win, it will self manifest as it does for the Leaf’s every single year since 1967. Be better, be Oilers fans.

So like I said get your pissing and moaning out of the way tonight, I know I will, then realize that our team with the two best players in the League can and will Win this series.
I value the attempt. I need a bit more time to feel different about this. McD has 1 PP assist in 3 games while really being next to awful in those games. That sort of thing doesn't happen to Generational Captains of SC contending teams. You can't just go to sleep for 2-3 games and be easily beat on pucks. Miller is owning the matchup. Needs to be said.

yeah we're not eliminated but it sure doesn't look good. We got our bushel of PP's tonight and totally wasted them. I don't see that happening again either. 2 sog goal in first 4 PP's for this club is pissing it away. The team choked.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Hyman is really beat up. Taken some huge hits in the series. McDavid and Drai too.
I think that there is some truth to this.
Not enough hammers on this team...too many nails.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think that we need to give some credit to the Canucks PK.
They really took away time and space especially when it came to McDavid and Draisaitl.
I thought it was a brialliant adjustment on Tocchets (Van coaches) part.
I think they adjusted. But we could have easily still taken it to them IMO. We just played our PPs dumb, didn’t control and get set up. Just tried forcing things and making hope plays. With poise and control we will kill them like we have every other team.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
If they do oust the Oilers on Saturday then they had better get ready for a reality check when they meet the Stars/Avalanche (based on what I have watched of that other series).

I'm not just being salty (it is part of it), but even before tonight I felt that neither of these teams have what it takes to challenge either of those two teams.

They are the worst two teams left in the playoffs (even the recently eliminated Canes would have beaten them).

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
It seems that during down times like this amoungst the board, that a "pick me up" is sometimes needed. Kind of like finding a little sliver of blue in the dark clouds. I will try to help in that regard for those that care for it. There is nothing like looking at nature scenes and the wonders of our world. Look at the beautiful calm water, for instance, as well as the lush green grass.
View attachment 872101

and in worse news, the oilers are about to be playing golf with paige spiranac in about a week.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Not excusing it, but really the coach is put in this position by Holland. This team is incapable of winning games 1-0, 2-1 as they can't close out games and choke leads. The bottom 6 cannot score with consistency or regularity. Janmark, Brown (despite their game tonight), McLeod, Foegele, Ryan, Perry, Desharnais, Ceci, Nurse are all offensive black holes. RNH/Kane are complimentary players, and Hyman is hit and miss as to whether he can generate.

What is left is a team that is forced to run McDrai to death essentially whenever they are losing or the game is tied. Partner that with the aforementioned penchant to choke leads, and you're painted into a corner.

Exaclty this is 100% Ken Holland's fault. Let's revisit what happened.

Game 1 drai gets hurt. Skinner loses the game. Failure to address goaltending by Holland.

Game 2. Drai unable to Centre his own line because of injury. Play like horses and win. Good decision by Knob.

Game 3. Try to repeat game 2 lose. Bad decision by Knob. Poor goaltending again by skinner. Knob says he can't play them 30 minutes a night and won't ever do that again. Frustration on coaches part due to lack of depth players.

Game 4. Drai mcdavid own lines. Better game. Last minute victory.

Game 5. Team is tired and beat up. We don't have the depth and comprehensive loss even if score sheet doesn't show it.

Aside from running mcdrai in game three I don't see how he did anything wrong with their deployment.

McDavid straight up needs to be better Vs Miller.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think they'll employ the same strategy and try to run them out of the building. Miller is a very under-rated 2 way player and Lindholm is finding his niche. Saying that, not giving up on our guys, as I hope they at least have one more big push left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad