Not Another Roster Building Thread..part II

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Wasn't expecting July 1 action but was sorta expecting a pick for a roster player or a Murphy trade by now. Guess we'll see how the rosters shake out over the next few weeks.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Wasn't expecting July 1 action but was sorta expecting a pick for a roster player or a Murphy trade by now. Guess we'll see how the rosters shake out over the next few weeks.

For Murphy, I really think it's more about making sure his D is healthy and ready to go at the start of the season and not have to sign another dman if not. If Faulk or Wiz still have issues, he would rather keep Murphy to fill a role. That trade may come later.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
As long as there are more good moves this offseason, I don't care when they are. I'd like the immediate gratification, and to avoid the angst that will come from a quiet beginning, but just get something done at some point. If not much more happens this off-season, then God help us. I'm hoping he's just planning on waiting to see what other teams he can take advantage of and what FAs he can take advantage of that miss the first wave.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I would have no problem with Murphy on the 3rd pair if he continues to play the way he did near the end of the season. He's at least no worse than Jordan.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
why? i'd rather have murphy as the #7 than have a prospect sit in the press box when they could be developing in the AHL.

Because I'd rather have either a prospect developing in the AHL or a roster forward than Murphy as a # 7. Murphy is still developing and as you suggest having a prospect in that position stalls their development, same as Murphy. Plus we have to protect him or risk losing him in the expansion draft although that risk seems slim at the moment.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The main difference between Kane and many young professional athletes who appear to be good citizens is that Kane got caught. They aren't role models. If Kane could be had for fairly cheap I'd be interested. He fits the mold of what the Canes were looking for in the Draft.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
The main difference between Kane and many young professional athletes who appear to be good citizens is that Kane got caught. They aren't role models. If Kane could be had for fairly cheap I'd be interested. He fits the mold of what the Canes were looking for in the Draft.

Rather go after Kreider for a similar style player.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not worth the hassle. Even if you disregard the legal issues, he hasn't played anything close to resembling a full season in 4 years. Not taking on a $6 million deal for a guy who struggles to crack 40 points yearly.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Only because the canes will get him on a bargain.

EDIT: That said something to his credit that I think gets lost is that he asked for a trade every offseason he was in Winnipeg. When he was denied, he went out onto the ice and did his part and never publicly complained until the end. He was all smiles until he was finally traded.

OTOH, given his track record, I would be pleasantly surprised-very surprised- if RF took a flier on him. 6 million bucks for the next two years.....if the plan is to compete in 2017-18, he's here for one year before leaving in FA. And the problem is, it doesn't seem as though Buffalo really wants to "dump" him for nothing at this point. But when it gets to that point, will RF even want to trade for him?

Last edited:

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I don't see E.Kane being someone RF goes after. He's got to many off ice issues. Doesn't seem like the type of 'character' guy RF would want.

With Tampa keeping Stamkos and I know there's talk that with the $8.5M cap hit, they can keep those good young players, especially once they trade Bishop. But can they really? I'd love to poach one of those guys.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
i think the canes should take a look at that hertl contract as a starting point for rask

rask had two more points than hertl this year (same amount of goals, two more assists)

i think id rather do a bridge with him than lock him up at this point

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
i think the canes should take a look at that hertl contract as a starting point for rask

rask had two more points than hertl this year (same amount of goals, two more assists)

i think id rather do a bridge with him than lock him up at this point

If we bridge, you read my mind.

Just say no to E. Kane.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

The yearly "everyone was too expensive" announcement

semi :sarcasm:

Given the way the Draft and the Wiz buyout went... I'm going to guess that Francis will announce the signings of Jason Demers and Kris Russel to big contracts. Ron Francis is a wily son of a gun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad