Olympics: Norway Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

ergi24

Feb 19, 2015
Slovakia
Lars Haugen (Färjestad), Henrik Haukeland (Timrå), Henrik Holm (Stavanger)

Aleksander Bonsaksen (Iserlohn), Stefan Espeland (Klagenfurt), Jonas Holøs (Fribourg), Johannes Johannesen (Stavanger), Erlend Lesund (Mora), Mattias Nørstebø (Frölunda), Daniel Sørvik (Litvinov), Henrik Ødegaard (Frisk Asker)

Anders Bastiansen (Frisk Asker), Kristian Forsberg (Stavanger), Ludvig Hoff (University of North Dakota), Tomm Kristiansen (Sparta), Ken André Olimb (Linköping), Mathis Olimb (Linköping), Mats Rosseli Olsen (Frölunda), Aleksander Reichenberg (Sparta Praha), Niklas Roest (Sparta), Martin Røymark (Modo), Eirik Salsten (Stavanger), Patrick Thoresen (SKA St. Petersburg), Steffen Thoresen (Storhamar), Mathias Trettenes (Krefeld)

Ludvig Hoff is biggest surprise of this team....I prefer Robin Dalhstrom or Sondre Olden.

spring29

Oct 8, 2016
I'd say Steffen Thoresen and Salsten over Sondre Olden and Thomas Valkvæ Olsen is a bigger surprise. Hoff is up-and-coming and plays in the NCAA

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'm glad. I knew they had too much pride to pick someone from our league. Though they got Espeland, but I assume that's the Liiga cred from this season carrying over.

Hoff is up and coming, to the ECHL, unless he improves unexpectedly. Leaving out Valkvae Olsen is also a surprise, but Norway in general hasn't been headed in the right direction since that fateful day in Sochi...

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Olden is absouletly destroying EBEL league point wise and overall with his play (responsible defensively). I am shocked that he isn't there.

Reactions: Ori

Matteo

Aug 20, 2017
There should be one spot still available among the Fs. They have only 13 of them.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Hmmm...I'm having a hard time believing some of the things written in the piece...but the effort is nice to see.

I think Sondre Olden is in a way the posterboy of that generation of Norwegian talent, maybe call it 92-00, which has just been one bust after another. I think that's why there was some consternation in including him, as many of the others from that era who didn't pan out also aren't on the team, for good or for ill. Some also are included, but more due to the lack of suitable alternatives than due to individual excellence.

I think he should be included, without a doubt, but I can see why they'd be hesitant to do so. His moving to the EBEL I think must have cemented his downward spiral in the eyes of the federation, he wasn't even included in the group that played in Innsbruck.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It will be exciting nonetheless. :)

It`s a huge advantage for Norway that NHL players can`t participate by the way, because the norwegian team is very experienced in international tournaments, and most have played together for years so they know their strength and weaknesses. Talent is one thing, but you need chemistry for countries like Canada & USA, Russia, Sweden. And all those nations have many high ranked talented players, but they are very young players and they need to hit with chemistry as well which is the big question mark for those nations - players like Rasmus Dahlin who has been ranked #1 recently in the upcoming 2018 NHL summer draft.

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Their performance (or lack thereof) against Sweden the other day was not good enough.

Honestly a country the exact same size as Minnesota (which could honestly easily field a legitimate NHL team) that doesn't produce many elite pros is sad to say the least. Same with Denmark. Sweden is bigger them (think MN plus WI), not to mention perennial contenders Finland but still, in that climate, with the money they invest in their athletes and infrastructure...they can do better.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Their performance (or lack thereof) against Sweden the other day was not good enough.

Honestly a country the exact same size as Minnesota (which could honestly easily field a legitimate NHL team) that doesn't produce many elite pros is sad to say the least. Same with Denmark. Sweden is bigger them (think MN plus WI), not to mention perennial contenders Finland but still, in that climate, with the money they invest in their athletes and infrastructure...they can do better.

Norway don't invest in hockey. Hockey has no money. It's an east-end inner-city labour class sport. We've got, like, 40 hockey-halls, most of them in the "garage-class" size. All scrying for talent goes to cross-country skiing and soccer, then other skiing, handball and other summer-sports, other winter-sports. Hockey is very small. Very very very small. It is not at all like it is in Sweden or Finland, where hockey is massively big. Then again, you might notice how much stronger Norway are than Finland in other sports in the Olympics, even stronger than Sweden, despite Sweden has twice the population. Many players in the GET -liga works part time.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Their performance in Winter Games over the years (in all sports) is second to none, per-capita. They are very impressive.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Their performance in Winter Games over the years (in all sports) is second to none, per-capita. They are very impressive.

Some might say Liecthenstein is strongest per capita.

But Norway, in the Winter Olympics, leads the tables overall. Not per capita. Overall.

Might be a connection to _not_ going for hockey, even if the HFBoards not is the place to boast of that.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
This team is got “Division 1A” written all over it. We are lucky to have Korea in our group in the upcoming WC in Denmark later this year. Come to think about it, if we play the way like we have done in this tournament in the upcoming WC then I think Korea will beat us.

This team and it's coaching staff got a lot to practice and work to do on the training camp before the WC.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad