Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4) II

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
PP units are trash.

First unit has two shooting threats I guess. But you’ve got Jumbo there to kill the play.

Second one has a decent amount of shooting threats, but you’ve got Rielly there to make sure nothing gets done.

It’s really pathetic how they haven’t been able to figure this out.

Outside of that, I like the look of the lines. Hopefully we just stay off the special teams and keep it 5v5.

2nd PP is probably better than the 1st PP. You have three guys who can shoot and make plays; you have a Rielly who is finally free from Marner; and you have a physical net front guy in Simmonds.

1st PP pretty much dies if Montreal can contain Matthews and they don't give up too many rebounds from distance shots for Hyman to put in. It's the same dynamic, with less talented players. Even if Sandin doesn't constantly pass it to Marner, Montreal is likely going to shut down as many alternatives as possible so the puck is on Marner's stick as much as possible.

Reactions: stickty111

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Their play under Julien was excellent. It's sort of like how the Islanders turned into an elite defensive team under Trotz, but the reverse

to bad they got rid of their best chance at beating us months ago. i know DD was an assistant for a few years with Montreal, but the NHL is vastly different than the CHL It will be interesting to see how he handles line matches and mid game adjustments

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Still not understanding where this notion of the Habs as a good defensive team comes from...

When I was reading an article talking about Justin Robidas possibly getting moved to Sherbrooke in the offseason, they had a snippet where they said Habs in 6 because the Leafs lacked mobility on the blueline (among other things).

If there is anything the Leafs have on the blueline, it is mobility. Meanwhile, the Habs may have one of the least mobile defenses in the league.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
When I was reading an article talking about Justin Robidas possibly getting moved to Sherbrooke in the offseason, they had a snippet where they said Habs in 6 because the Leafs lacked mobility on the blueline (among other things).

If there is anything the Leafs have on the blueline, it is mobility. Meanwhile, the Habs may have one of the least mobile defenses in the league.

Reality is the exact opposite of that.

Reactions: stickty111

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good to see Mitch off PK he is just not good enough, big enough and strong enough to be effective at it ..

Good to see Sandin in for Rielly on PP#1 he will make Keefer look good on that decision too ..

Sucks for Dermy but he is gone to Seattle in draft this summer to play in their top 4..

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
2nd PP is probably better than the 1st PP. You have three guys who can shoot and make plays; you have a Rielly who is finally free from Marner; and you have a physical net front guy in Simmonds.

1st PP pretty much dies if Montreal can contain Matthews and they don't give up too many rebounds from distance shots for Hyman to put in. It's the same dynamic, with less talented players. Even if Sandin doesn't constantly pass it to Marner, Montreal is likely going to shut down as many alternatives as possible so the puck is on Marner's stick as much as possible.

Your theory about Marner causing problems on the powerplay stinks to high heaven. To be clear, whatever powerplay Marner was on was the best powerplay. His best year was without Matthews.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep. Weber is a fridge with skates attached at this point lol

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Good to see Mitch off PK he is just not good enough, big enough and strong enough to be effective at it ..

Good to see Sandin in for Rielly on PP#1 he will make Keefer look good on that decision too ..

Sucks for Dermy but he is gone to Seattle in draft this summer to play in their top 4..

Hasn't Marner been a pretty effective PKer? I'm fine to see him off it to better use his talents and not wear him out, but he was pretty good at it I thought.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Still not understanding where this notion of the Habs as a good defensive team comes from...

Montreal's 168 goals against ranks them 15th among 16 playoff teams with only ST. Louis Blues 170 GA giving up more.

Montreal has a negative 9 goal differential and give up more goals then they score and are barely a .500 hockey team on the season.

The entire notion of them being classified as "good" in any category fails the definition test.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Looks like Bogo might be in, Dermott out. I love how Dermott has played but I support Sandin getting a shot, he’s just so dynamic.
After watching most of this years playoff games so far, the Leafs need at least one defenseman that can think the game on offense, other than Sandin we don't have that so by default he needs to play!

Reactions: DarkKnight

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Hasn't Marner been a pretty effective PKer? I'm fine to see him off it to better use his talents and not wear him out, but he was pretty good at it I thought.
He's great at anticipating plays and is great on his edges to get in the lane, but for the playoffs you need to block shots, and I don't want him out there doing that, Hyman is already banged up let Foligno and Nash do that cause they are pretty good at it and well they are..uhhh...ummm.. are more expendable:(

Reactions: leaffaninvancouver

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He's great at anticipating plays and is great on his edges to get in the lane, but for the playoffs you need to block shots, and I don't want him out there doing that, Hyman is already banged up let Foligno and Nash do that cause they are pretty good at it and well they are..uhhh...ummm.. are more expendable:(
Ahhh dont bash Marner :sarcasm:

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Montreal is touted as being good defensively because of Shea Weber of old and Carey Price of past.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Their defense reminds me of the 2013 Leafs, they're big and that's about it.
Except Petry. That guy is really good.

I hope we put up 5 game 1. That team is one blowout away from tilting off the planet.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Your theory about Marner causing problems on the powerplay stinks to high heaven. To be clear, whatever powerplay Marner was on was the best powerplay. His best year was without Matthews.
Marner is just in the wrong spot on the PP. All the teams are giving mitch and rielly all the space and covering matthews. Marner and rielly arent scoring threats from that far out. I would have mitch be where willy is behind the net feeding matthews/nylander/tavares. Nylander can take his spot and be a shooting threat and you can also have JT get more shots from the slot.

This will also force teams to not cheat so much to matthews.

Reactions: LeafsGuy16

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nash Foligno unit #1
Kerfoot Mik unit #2
for start of playoffs as per Keefer
clearly he does not see Mitch in his top 4
to me i don't either but would like to see Zach on line 2 with Kerfoot

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Sandin over Dermott, I like it. Sandin has been an instant impact player. I love our pairings going into the post-season

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He’s been great, it’s just minute management. I mean he starts all PK’s so that tells you what the coach thinks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
5V5 lines with their Special Teams duties:

PP1 - PP1 - PP1
PK1 - PP2 - PP2
PK2 - PK1 - PK2
PP1 - PP2 - PP2

PP2 - PK2
PK1 - PK1
PP1 - PK2

Looks like kind of a perfect distribution of Special Teams duties with one spot each for each skater.

With the caveat that Hyman-Marner is likely PK3, which usually gets regular PK shifts as PK forwards change the most frequently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad