WC: North American Italians

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
I've always wondered why North American Italians aren't repping Italy at world championships? I see lots of Italian names in OHL and even some guys playing for Canada. But why not hold out for the National team of Italy?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've always wondered why North American Italians aren't repping Italy at world championships? I see lots of Italian names in OHL and even some guys playing for Canada. But why not hold out for the National team of Italy?

You'd have to live (and therefore play in that country for a few years to do so).

See Michael Swift and a few others for South Korea and Kazakhstan's entire first line.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

Having an Italian passport or being of Italian ancestry is not enough.

I believe you need to play at least two years in Italy in order to be eligible.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010

Why the hell would you play for Italy if you were good enough to play for Canada?

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I thought it was one of your parents had to be from there?
The rules for iihf are more strict than fifa (if that's what you're referring to). I believe the poster above that said you have to play 2 years in a country to be eligible is right (on top of citizenship I believe). A current example of that is Callan Foote right now

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
the same reason french-canadians are not playing for team france.

imagine what a team france would have if many french-canadians would play for them....it would be a top team even in olympics/world cup.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Because Italy wants to develop talent on their own instead. There was a time when Team Italy was full of North American imports, now there are only two, one of them being the backup goalie.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Because Italy wants to develop talent on their own instead. There was a time when Team Italy was full of North American imports, now there are only two, one of them being the backup goalie.

This, Italy USED a ****ton of Canadian-Italians in the past, but their hockey program wasn't going anywhere. Then they see/saw France who are entirely homegrown players and have sustained much better results like staying in the main division consistently and even beating Russia.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Idk about the duel citizenship play for 2 years thing but for iihf once you choose a team you're that team for life. So if most kids make team canada/ usa in juniors they do because they want to win. They all may consider themselves canadian or American too.

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
Why the hell would you play for Italy if you were good enough to play for Canada?

I understand it very well. If I had the choice between Macedonia and Canada I probably wouldn't think twice to go for the homeland. No offence to Canada but I have a huge love the the culture and lifestyle over there.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
The Italian team should be for Italians, not Americans.

Some Canadian player with an Italian great-great-great-great-grandfather is not Italian.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
and a more expansive 2020 World Cup that could feature North American players with German, English, Irish, Italian or French heritage playing for those countries to grow the game in those nations.
[/url] (Jan 2015)

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wow, didn't think it could be worse than Team NA and Team Europe, I was wrong :help:

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Idk about the duel citizenship play for 2 years thing but for iihf once you choose a team you're that team for life. So if most kids make team canada/ usa in juniors they do because they want to win. They all may consider themselves canadian or American too.

As noted, that's not totally true. It takes 4 years in the new country though, not just 2. See someone like Nigel Dawes as an example; he played for Canada at the World Juniors, and just represented Kazakhstan this year.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
As noted, that's not totally true. It takes 4 years in the new country though, not just 2. See someone like Nigel Dawes as an example; he played for Canada at the World Juniors, and just represented Kazakhstan this year.

For a player who hasn't played for his original nationality, it's two years.

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto

This definitely isn't true. Look at Nigel Dawes, gold medal with Canada at the World Jr's and now a first liner on the Kazakhstan squad (Dustin Boyd for that matter too).

IDiO

May 6, 2017
Having an Italian passport or being of Italian ancestry is not enough.

I believe you need to play at least two years in Italy in order to be eligible.

Isn't that only the case if you already represented another nation and want to change your hockey nationality? The first team you represent can be whichever one you choose, IIRC.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
IIHF eligibility rules go like this:

A player with only one citizenship is eligible to represent said country's national team.

A player with two (or more) citizenships is eligible to represent any country he has played in club team hockey for two consecutive years - if he has not represented another NT before that.
-This rule is a bit weird, since it also applies to say, the offspring of NHLers who are born in the States and thus have automatically both the US and their parents' citizenships. However, if these players only play hockey in the US junior system, they're unable to represent their parents' home country - unless granted a special clearance by the IIHF. Recently, William Nylander was subject to this to be eligible to represent Sweden.

Finally, dual citizens who have already represented one national team may switch to another if they play club team hockey for four consecutive years in the country they wish to represent.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
IIHF eligibility rules go like this:

A player with only one citizenship is eligible to represent said country's national team.

A player with two (or more) citizenships is eligible to represent any country he has played in club team hockey for two consecutive years - if he has not represented another NT before that.
-This rule is a bit weird, since it also applies to say, the offspring of NHLers who are born in the States and thus have automatically both the US and their parents' citizenships. However, if these players only play hockey in the US junior system, they're unable to represent their parents' home country - unless granted a special clearance by the IIHF. Recently, William Nylander was subject to this to be eligible to represent Sweden.

Finally, dual citizens who have already represented one national team may switch to another if they play club team hockey for four consecutive years in the country they wish to represent.

From what I understand, Nylander was granted an exception because he was not eligible to play for anyone. He is not a US citizen, but instead SWE/CAN. Because he had not played for the requisite amount of time in Sweden or Canada, he was granted an exception.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
From what I understand, Nylander was granted an exception because he was not eligible to play for anyone. He is not a US citizen, but instead SWE/CAN. Because he had not played for the requisite amount of time in Sweden or Canada, he was granted an exception.

Similar deal with Rod Stewart's son playing for GB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad