Norfolk to host 2023 ECHL All-Star Classic

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So it seems the League thinks Norfolk will remain a member for at least another season ...

You never know. I can remember an ECHL team that did a whole campaign for the all-star game the next year and then announced they were done in March.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Which team was that just for my own curiosity

It was either Pensacola in 2008 or Mississippi in 2009. I can't exactly remember which, and the press release has disappeared from the interwebs. But the organization in question made a big deal about announcing a bid for the All-Star Game only to fold a few months later.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It was either Pensacola in 2008 or Mississippi in 2009. I can't exactly remember which, and the press release has disappeared from the interwebs. But the organization in question made a big deal about announcing a bid for the All-Star Game only to fold a few months later.
"Performance anxiety" can be fatal.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
From what I have heard, for the first time, at least in recent memory, the ECHL is taking bids more than one year in advance. They supposedly have a city on lock for 2024 already as well as taking bids for 2025

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
From what I have heard, for the first time, at least in recent memory, the ECHL is taking bids more than one year in advance. They supposedly have a city on lock for 2024 already as well as taking bids for 2025
I wonder what has changed? There was a period when they were only having the game every other year because too few teams wanted to host it.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Part of it probably has to do with it now being televised annually on NHL Network
I thought it was on NHL network, even in those alternate years. I could be wrong. Either way, do you think the NHL network is paying the ECHL enough to make hosting the game worthwhile? Or paying them at all?

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Definitely wasn't Pensacola. It was known for a while that the team was dying and I have no recollection of the ASG being announced for Pensacola.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad