Nordic Elite League?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
One could say I’m a conservative when it comes to hockey, and particularly Swedish hockey. I’m very skeptical when it comes to ideas that would radically try to transform hockey here, or make it more commercialized than it already is. It might come with the territory of being a fan of a smaller market team, but I know we’re a lot of hockey fans that are highly negative of what we deem “plastic” hockey. Many seem to suggest closed leagues and/or automatic qualification, I would hate that.

If I was to entertain a proposal of a Nordic league that I think I might regard palatable, it would probably concern expanding the SHL qualifiers. Basically, reinstate the old “Kvalserien”, but now enter teams from Norway, Denmark and, if there’s interest for it, Finland.

Kvalserien were the SHL qualification playoffs, and is fondly remembered with a lot of people still regarding it as having used to be the best hockey of the season due to the intense emotion, desperation, high stakes, crazy drama and whatnot. I think it fostered a lot more upsets than the SHL championship playoffs tended to do as well. I fortunately never had to see Luleå finish their season fighting for their SHL berth, so I’ve never really tuned in to see what the fuzz was about when people were fawning over Kvalserien, but at any rate there’s now another format in-place where the bottom SHL teams only face each other rather than HA teams in a playoff to avoid relegation.

As I said, if there was interest for it outside of Sweden, I could entertain the idea of expanding the SHL qualifiers and enter the leaders/champions of GET, Metal and Mestis into the mix with the top Hockeyallsvenskan teams that year, and have a playoffs for two SHL berths (maybe expand the SHL to have 16 teams when we’re at it).

What do you think, could something like this work out, what would be some of the implications?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
As I said, if there was interest for it outside of Sweden, I could entertain the idea of expanding the SHL qualifiers and enter the leaders/champions of GET, Metal and Mestis into the mix with the top Hockeyallsvenskan teams that year, and have a playoffs for two SHL berths (maybe expand the SHL to have 16 teams when we’re at it).

The main thing I like with this idea is that no one is guaranteed a spot in the “Scandinavian HL” without deserving it. I also don’t necessarily think it would be bad news for the Hockeyallsvenskan teams. I don’t know what the difference in quality between top HA and top Danish and Norwegian teams are, but if there’s fear a Norwegian team will go in and steal a Swedish team’s “surefire SHL berth”, most of that fear should be offset by expanding the league to effectively increase each team’s chances.

And conversely, if top Norwegian and Danish teams realize they are a full step behind top HA competition, at least they’ll get valuable experience to improve their chances for the next year.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Must be better to have the teams from Get and Danish series together, about 35 teams?

Is so boring when i did see my local team Nidaros only play about 40 games that to little.

thats too many teams. there is not enough danish and norweigan teams good enough to play in the shl

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
At the moment there is not nearly enough money in Danish hockey to make a team for the SHL. The average budget for a Metalligaen team is around 1 million EUR, to make a competitive team for the SHL you will probably need 3-4 times more than that. The same is true for most of the Norwegian teams as well.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
At the moment there is not nearly enough money in Danish hockey to make a team for the SHL. The average budget for a Metalligaen team is around 1 million EUR, to make a competitive team for the SHL you will probably need 3-4 times more than that. The same is true for most of the Norwegian teams as well.

I searched in google for this.
Norwegian teams the top-7 teams have budgets in the span from 1,3 million euro (Storhamar), Stavanger Oilers have 2,7 million euro budget. And many norwegian teams have budgets close to 2 million euro. The three bottom teams have around 500.000 euro in budget.
https://www.h-a.no/2020/sport/oiler...storhamar-med-billigere-a-lag-denne-sesongen/

Stjernen about 1,7 million euro
(+) Stjernen skal runde 17 millioner kommende sesong

Hv71 the best team in HA have a budget around 2 million euro
Den allsvenska klubben uppges ha en spelarbudget på cirka 20 miljoner…
Björklöven nr.3 in HA have a budget around 1,4 million euro
Det allsvenska topplagets spelarbudget: 13,9 miljoner kronor

So the best norwegian FKL teams have bigger budgets than the best HA teams.

SHL clubs have budgets from 5-10 million euro.
Så mycket betalade SHL-lagen ut i löner

They have a very lucratice tv deal in Sweden with C-more that account for 47% of the clubs total income.

So if norwegian or danish club had entered the SHL they would have gotten access to that TV money, and increased their budgets by a lot.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
How can it be to many? SHL 14 teams + Fjordkraftligaen 10 teams and Metal ligaen 9 teams; 33 teams is a good balance.

becuse there is not enough shl quality teams in the norway and denmark leauge

shl is the 3rd strongest league in the world, i would say denmark and norway league is between 11-15 best, its big gap

im aware the budget would be bigger for the teams from denmark and norway, but if you look at shl teams, many players are young from their junior league. there is lack of that in denmark and norway teams. first 2 lines would be good imports becuse of the money, but lines 3 and 4 would not be shl quality

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Interesting topic to stumble across, as I enjoy the business side of sports. Reading through a permanent league doesn't seem like a great idea due to the budget differences of clubs. It would make most teams from Norway and Denmark uncompetitive or even worse, left behind in a less relevant league. It reminds me of when the English Premier League invited the top Scottish football clubs to join.

I would be curious if there are companies that span the Nordic countries that would sponsor a tournament instead. I know there is already the European CHL, but if there was a Nordic Cup with group stage and playoffs that would pull in teams from the top league or two from each Country?

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
Interesting topic to stumble across, as I enjoy the business side of sports. Reading through a permanent league doesn't seem like a great idea due to the budget differences of clubs. It would make most teams from Norway and Denmark uncompetitive or even worse, left behind in a less relevant league. It reminds me of when the English Premier League invited the top Scottish football clubs to join.

I would be curious if there are companies that span the Nordic countries that would sponsor a tournament instead. I know there is already the European CHL, but if there was a Nordic Cup with group stage and playoffs that would pull in teams from the top league or two from each Country?

I dont think a nordic cup will happen because the gap in quality between SHL, norway FKL and danish Metalligaen is to big. SHL teams will dominate a tournament like that.

The diffrence in budget is mostly because of the diffrence in TV money. If Norwegian or danish team entered SHL they would get access to that tv money, and they would have added about 6 million euro extra to their budget in TV money. With that extra tv money the diffrence would have been smaller since danish and norwegian teams could have recruited very good import players from e.g canada, finland, russia.
Swedish shl teams gets around 6 million euro in tv money each. Norwegian, danish and hockeyallsvenskan(sweden level 2 teams) gets from 100.000 euro to 300.000 euro in tv money each

Same thing with English PL and Scottish PL, their is a huge financial gap their because english PL tv money is huge. Premier league gets around 1,65 BN pund in TV money and Scottish PL only 30 million pund. If scotland had entered english PL they would have gained access to the english TV deal and increased their tv money from 3 millon pund(30 million pund divided on 10 teams) to around 100-150 million pund
DM-Sport-Table-Scottish-Premiership-TV-deal-1.jpg

Reactions: Flukeshot

Lackhalak

May 26, 2017
I posted this in a few other threads but i think this format could work.
-3 tiers
-still relegation
-travel would still be kept to a minimum
Tier 1
TeamsArenaPopulation (metro)
1StockholmDjurgardens13,8502,392,000
2GothenbergFrolunda12,0441,048,000
3MalmoRed Hawks12,600730,000
4UppsalaAlmtuna IS-10,000295,000
5Linkoping HC8,500207,000
6StockholmAIK8,0942,392,000
7KarlstadFarjestad BK8,646180,000
8HelsinkiJokerit13,3491,671,000
9TampereIlves13,455448,000
10TurkuTPS11,820362,000
11HelsinkiHIFK-10,0001,671,000
12RigaDinamo10,3001,100,000
13Copenhagen12,5002,057,000
14OsloGruner-12,0001,600,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tier 2
1GavleBrynas IF7,909184,000
2OrebroHK5,316208,000
3JonkopingHV717,000171,000
4VasterasIK4,902200,000
5VaxjoLakers5,700156,000
6AngelholmRogle BK5,150143,000
7TimraIK6,000117,000
8OuluKarpat6,768260,000
9JyvaskylaJYP-7,000185,000
10KuopioKalPa5,300168,000
11LahtiPelicans5,371191,000
12KaunasHockey13,762588,000
13AalborgPirates5,200217,000
14StravangerOilers4,500320,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tier 3
1UemaIF Bjorkloven5,400156,000
2LeksandIF7,65069,000
3OrnskoldsvikModo7,60056,000
4LuleaFH6,30078,000
5SkellefteaAIK6,00173,000
6SodertaljeSK6,20099,000
7PoriAssat6,300137,000
8EspooKeikko6,9821,671,000
9KouvolaKooKoo6,20061,000
10HameenlinnaHPK5,36067,000
11LapreenrantaSaiPa4,82073,000
12TallinHC Everest5,840455,000
13Aarhus5,001350,000
14BergenIK-8,320420,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sweden - 20 teams
Finland - 13 teams
Norway - 3 teams
Denmark - 3 teams
The Baltics - 3 teams
Total - 42 teams

13x4= 52 games in a season
top 8 teams play 3 rounds of best of 7
bottom 6 in tier 1 play the top 6 in tier 2 in a best of 7 for relegation
Bottom 8 in tier 2 play the top 8 in tier 3 in a best of 7 for relegation
bottom 6 in tier 3 season is over once the 52 games have been played
eg. the team who finishes 9th in tier 1 would play a best of 7 vs the team that finishes 6th in tier 2

What teams would you add and delete? I kinda just sorted the teams based on population and arena size. i bet this could be the second best league in the world.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
Well 42 teams would be too much and Norway/Denmark do not have the commercial base so they won’t really offer anything to Swedish hockey. I could see Danish and Norwegian teams joining the Swedish league system and through that work themselves up to SHL but I wouldn’t try merge the current Danish/Norwegian leagues with SHL. Norwegians and Danes don’t watch hockey. Sweden and Finland are the only countries in Europe really with real commercial interest. Not even the Swiss or Russian leagues are commercially viable but rely on low taxes and sugar daddies. So a Scandinavian Hockey League would primarily involve Swedish and Finnish teams. Even so I think SHL and Liiga still have a lot of organic growth ahead before its time for a league merger. At this point dropping CHL and create a cup between Swedish and Finnish teams makes the most sense commercially. Such a competition would generate far more income from a business perspective than CHL or a Nordic league with Norwegian and Danish teams. It’s all about TV money/team, and Sweden and Finland are really the only countries with big media rights. A Scandinavian league is more realistic in football (Sweden+Norway+Denmark but not Finland) and will probably happen if the Dutch and Belgian league merges (which seems to be happening). From a business perspective Norway and Denmark are just tiny markets on par with HA if even that.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
Well 42 teams would be too much and Norway/Denmark do not have the commercial base so they won’t really offer anything to Swedish hockey.

It’s all about TV money/team, and Sweden and Finland are really the only countries with big media rights.

From a business perspective Norway and Denmark are just tiny markets on par with HA if even that.
I was trying to explain this a few years ago: There's nothing in it for at least Sweden.

Why would the Swedish teams add small market Danish teams to SHL? Perhaps Aalborg or SønderjyskE might me interested financially since they could actually attract an audience of maybe some 2500 on average, but why would the Swedish clubs water down their product and share all the commercial interests with these small markets?

It would be like NHL adding a franchise in Arizona or something *lol* ;-)

No, but seriously, it just won't make sense. I COULD imagine the top-2 Norwegian teams be a little more interesting since there's a better environment for commercial ice hockey in Norway, but in Denmark the clubs just won't be very attractive in SHL to a Danish audience neither on TV or in the arenas and they definitely won't be attractive to the Swedish clubs or Union.

Malmö has been trying to attract a Copenhagen audience for several periods of time back in the 90's, 00's and perhaps also in the 10's, but there was such a small interest that it was clearly not worth the aim. They tried though.

Commercially it's just not interesting. Also, a Danish/Norwegian league would be completely irrelevant. The travelling expenses and the time line for the travelling is a no go. Still a bunch of players in the Danish league with a job or school/education along side playing hockey.

In order to have only professional players and much more travelling the expenses would go so far up only a couple or three clubs in Denmark could afford it. And what would happen to the rest of the Danish league, if you pluck out say SønderjyskE, Herning and Aalborg? You are right! It would drain the rest of the league to a Division 1 level which would make it a lose/lose/lose scenario for Denmark.

The only way I could see a Danish club be interested in going to SHL is if FC Midtjylland or FC København decided it would be an interesting business model for them to make an add on and they wouldn't have to ask the Danish Union. But still: I don't see why the Swedish clubs would give away that spot and if all they wanted was a bigger SHL they could easily expand with at least 4-6 Swedish teams before looking to the Danish market. I think people need to understand that SHL is not a KHL or NHL scenartio where business opportunities rule everything. It's a much more unionized scenario. They are definitely interested in growing the market, but the league is club owned. Not owned by a greedy group of business men. SHL works so well in its format now. No need to ruin that.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Arguably it would make more sense at a lower level such as the Allsvenskan, the Swedish teams would have somewhat more to gain and discrepancies in general would be smaller.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Malmö has been trying to attract a Copenhagen audience for several periods of time back in the 90's, 00's and perhaps also in the 10's, but there was such a small interest that it was clearly not worth the aim. They tried though.
What kind of a motive would a resident of Copenhagen have to cheer for a team from Malmö, other than a relatively convenient distance? A situation in which there's a team actually based in Copenhagen might have different results, though. Especially so if the hockey team would be affiliated with the established brand of FC Copenhagen.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
What kind of a motive would a resident of Copenhagen have to cheer for a team from Malmö, other than a relatively convenient distance?
The "motive" was to have a lot of Danish players and thereby try to attract Danes from Copenhagen and they even hired a Danish PR guy at one point to try to work their way into the Copenhagen market.

I cheer FC Liverpool and Detroit Red Wings eventhough I don't live there and I'm not neither English or American so I don't understand your objection.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The "motive" was to have a lot of Danish players and thereby try to attract Danes from Copenhagen and they even hired a Danish PR guy at one point to try to work their way into the Copenhagen market.

I cheer FC Liverpool and Detroit Red Wings eventhough I don't live there and I'm not neither English or American so I don't understand your objection.
You don't understand my "objection"? You mentioning FC Liverpool and Detroit Red Wings perfectly exemplifies it as they are just teams that you have ended up rooting for by chance. It would be a rather similar dynamic between Danes and a team based in Malmö, there's no particular reason to expect that they would amass a lot of Danish fans, just like there is no particular reason to expect that someone in let's say Sweden ends up rooting for FC Liverpool or Detroit Red Wings although even then they play in leagues which are far more marketable than the SHL.

Vandalay Industries

Feb 13, 2008
You don't understand my "objection"? You mentioning FC Liverpool and Detroit Red Wings perfectly exemplifies it as they are just teams that you have ended up rooting for by chance. It would be a rather similar dynamic between Danes and a team based in Malmö, there's no particular reason to expect that they would amass a lot of Danish fans, just like there is no particular reason to expect that someone in let's say Sweden ends up rooting for FC Liverpool or Detroit Red Wings although even then they play in leagues which are far more marketable than the SHL.
I don't understand your point at all. You seem to have your own agenda for whatever. So let me just state my point in a single bullet point: There's not enough people in Copenhagen interested in ice hockey to have a team in a Nordic League here. That's the simple point.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I don't understand your point at all. You seem to have your own agenda for whatever. So let me just state my point in a single bullet point: There's not enough people in Copenhagen interested in ice hockey to have a team in a Nordic League here. That's the simple point.
Then that is a regrettable limitation of your reading comprehension. There not being enough people in Copenhagen interested in following an SHL team based in Malmö would be an accurate statement but we don't know what kind of a traction would a Copenhagen-based team have in a Nordic League. My guess is that it would be much more.

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Norweigan teams in NEL:

Frisk Asker
Stavanger
Storhamar
Vålerenga

Danish teams in NEL:

Aalborg
Esbjerg
Herning
SönderjyskE

Finnish teams in NEL:

Illves
Tappara
TPS
KalPa
HIFK
Pelicans

Swedish teams in NEL:

Frölunda
Malmö
Skellefteå
Färjestad
Djurgården
Luleå

However Nordic hockey is not as big as the national team.

And not so much interest from Nordic club's to start this even if the first idea were there.

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
A hypothetical Nordic hockey league would have mostly Swedish teams, a couple of Finnish teams and a few Norwegian teams, at least if you go by attendance stats. One could argue that Norway is too far behind Sweden and Finland toc compete but there are actually some Norwegian teams (Stavanger, Storhamar and Vålerenga) that would be competitive. Storhamar eliminated Djurgården in the CHL group stage and nearly got passed Skellefteå AIK in the play offs, so there's some good hockey in Norway. Commercially I'd say Stavanger and Vålerenga are two possible top teams in a future Nordic hockey league.

SHL: Swedish Hockey Liga
SML: SM-Liiga (Finland)
HA: HockeyAllsvenskan (Swedish second division)
GL: GET-ligaen (Norway)
ML: Metal Ligaen (Denmark)

If we look at social media then there's no Danish team in the top 50. The most popular non-Swedish/non-Finnish team is Stavanger Oilers, closely followed by Vålerenga. Storhamar is also doing better than some Swedish and Finnish top division teams.

#TeamFacebookTwitterInstagramTotalLand
1Frölunda123,8985464,9242,798Sweden
2Jokerit9239,562,5194Finland
3Djurgården118,13625,742,3186,136Sweden
4HIFK84,64145,7171,3Finland
5Kärpät103,319,746,2169,2Finland
6Färjestad78,36016,140,7135,16Sweden
7Brynäs72,92213,534,9121,322Sweden
8HV7162,83115,838,8117,431Sweden
9Tappara63,317,635115,9Finland
10Leksand73,41011,430,5115,31Sweden
11Luleå46,25111,126,483,751Sweden
12TPS41,315,72279Finland
13Ilves39,915,121,776,7Finland
14KalPa44,610,918,373,8Finland
15JYP44,36,32272,6Finland
16Skellefteå31,8936,27030,368,463Sweden
17Ässät30,712,51659,2Finland
18SaiPa31,413,41357,8Finland
19Växjö21,1519,57622,553,227Sweden
20Modo22,4959,67920,552,674Sweden
21Pelicans25,812,313,651,7Finland
22Malmö27,0125,3791749,391Sweden
23Stavanger Oilers27,97,113,748,7Norway
24Örebro22,7955,37916,844,974Sweden
25Vålerenga19,06,818,844,6Norway
26AIK12,48851119,442,8885Sweden
27Sport20,98,51342,4Finland
28Lukko18,211,212,341,7Finland
29HPK19,99,911,441,2Finland
30Linköping16,2697,76017,141,129Sweden
31Storhamar195,615,940,5Norway
32Rögle19,3582,28115,236,839Sweden
33KooKoo14,35,910,831Finland
34Jukurit14,24,68,527,3Finland
35Timrå13,4744,4359,25927,168Sweden
36Björklöven13,7162,9469,16425,826Sweden
37Västerås15,1693,8936,49325,555Sweden
38Södertälje14,9693,4756,04724,491Sweden
39Karlskrona8,5954,2615,94518,801Sweden
40Karlskoga10,0413,0855,50518,631Sweden
41Mora9,1272,3924,95316,472Sweden
42Lillehammer8,02,75,015,7Norway
43Vita hästen11,3082,3381,62815,274Sweden
44Frisk Asker8,22,44,314,9Norway
45Sparta Warriors7,71,14,613,4Norway
46Stjernen6,81,62,811,2Norway
47Västervik3,1731,4275,2059,805Sweden
48Oskarshamn3,5492,3123,9329,793Sweden
49Almtuna4,7331,4623,4459,64Sweden
50Tingsryd4,1931,7922,3888,373Sweden
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

A common hockey league wouldn't work. :D

Social media is interesting.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Pretty confident to say if 2 teams from Denmark joined the SHL or Nordic elite league, the rest of the danish league would degrade into a full amateur league., but you can always play with the idea

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
Pretty confident to say if 2 teams from Denmark joined the SHL or Nordic elite league, the rest of the danish league would degrade into a full amateur league., but you can always play with the idea

Nordic elite league not so likely rumor.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad