Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVIII

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Soul crushing loss, I don't know if this group is ever going to win one...Wilks ain't it, OL blows, Shanahan galaxy brains too much in big moments, and some of the core guys (Deebo and Kittle mostly) just fade in big games. Yikes
Felt that not getting more than the 10 points on their 5 first half drives was going to bite them, with KC running just 7 plays on their first 2 drives and a fumble on their 3rd drive in the red zone.

CMC fumble, then Trent with 2 penalties for 15 yards killed the 2nd drive. Long FG for 3rd drive. Punt on 4th drive after getting a 1st down from the horse collar penalty. Then get the TD.

Not capitalizing on the pick hurt. But, no rushing attempts from CMC on their first 3 drives of the 2nd half. Like, what was that? Continue to wear down the Chief's D.

Blocked XP. Per ex k Feeley, says that the push from KC was not the issue. Moody just didn't get enough height on the kick. Left it too low. Butker managed to get his low 57 yard kick through the line.

Came down to that 3rd and 5 with 2 minutes to go. Secure that and KC gets the ball back with 30 seconds max with no TO.

Not able to cash in a TD on their OT possession vs a tired D. Jones was huge in the key moments for KC.

Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Like... You can't miss a PAT in the super bowl

CMON MAN
Would have changed how KC played their drive to make it 16 all. If they are down 17-13, I think Reid leaves the O on the field and/or they try a different play knowing that they are going for it on 4th down vs their pass play on 3rd down. Personally not a fan of cutting it down to 1 at that point in time. Best to go for it.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Obviously this is lame, but I'm not totally sure how to feel about this. Not nearly as frustrating as 5 years ago with Jimmy. They battled, and the Chiefs D is legit. Niners just missed way too many opportunities. One thing I was disappointed in was Deebo and Aiyuk and to a lesser extent Kittle. How are those guys not making more plays? Deebo 6 touches for 41 yards, Aiyuk 3 for 49 and Kittle 2 for 4. Oh well.

Reactions: DG93 and slocal

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Obviously this is lame, but I'm not totally sure how to feel about this. Not nearly as frustrating as 5 years ago with Jimmy. They battled, and the Chiefs D is legit. Niners just missed way too many opportunities. One thing I was disappointed in was Deebo and Aiyuk and to a lesser extent Kittle. How are those guys not making more plays? Deebo 6 touches for 41 yards, Aiyuk 3 for 49 and Kittle 2 for 4. Oh well.
KC secondary is very good. McDuffie was a great pass defence vs Deebo in the end zone before the long FG by Moody in the first half. Found some matchup with Jennings/Conley. But, agreed, that SF can't be down to their 4/5 passing options. One of the big 3 needs to make an impact. Should have keep running CMC.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
i just gotta say that this superbowl loss doesnt bother me that much

i stopped watching when the chiefs took the lead in the third and i just feel no pain ir emotion now that im sitting here at 10pmnot having watched the fourth or ot.

but i also think about the meme about how old kyle shanahan got between getting hired then the losing once and then today and how much he grayed in that time and i just feel sad for him. that is too much stress for a man, man.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I will never understand why Shanahan gives up on a run game that’s working. I hold him responsible for this one….

Man that was a bummer!
The Chiefs stacked the box and none of the receivers were winning their man to man matchups. He was trying to use PA passes to help give them an advantage but they weren’t getting separation.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The Chiefs stacked the box and none of the receivers were winning their man to man matchups. He was trying to use PA passes to help give them an advantage but they weren’t getting separation.
It’s not difficult to lock down receivers when you don’t have a QB that can throw with anticipation.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
When Feliciano went down, Chris Jones started to really feast. The Chiefs CBs were also locking down the receivers and Kittle was stuck on blocking duty. Unfortunately, you can never really count Mahomes out.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I hate everything. Die hard sharks fan my entire life, massive 49er fan. Couldn't care less about the Giants/A's/Warriors.

Giants win 3 titles in my life time
Warriors win 4 titles in my life time

Sharks make the finals once
Niners lose 3 super bowls (94 doesn't count since I was 4 years old)

That's before you add in the repeated conference finals/championship heartbreak for both teams over the years.

I am dead inside

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I will never understand why Shanahan gives up on a run game that’s working. I hold him responsible for this one….

Man that was a bummer!
CMC for the night ended with 22 rushes for 80 yards. 3.6 average.

19 yards on 3 rushes on drive 1 that ended in the fumble.
No attempts on 2nd drive which was killed by Trent's 2 penalties.
3rd drive for the FG - 3 rush attempts, 3 net yards
Drive 4 - 1 rush for no gain.
Final drive for the TD in first half, 1 rush for 5 yards.

First half, 8 rushes for 27 yards. So, he had 14 rushes for 51 yards in the second half.

Another 8 catches for 80 yards as well. So 30 touches for the game. But, still seems like he didn't get the ball enough. Maybe it was the receiving yards that made us think he was doing better than he was on the ground because he had the ball in his hands.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake

They ran down most of the field on the first series (until CMC was stripped). They started the second half with 3 "three and outs" totally on pass plays (if my memory serves me correctly). He should have at least mixed in more runs to keep them honest.

Losing Dre was a major factor as well. I feel sorry for that guy....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They ran down most of the field on the first series (until CMC was stripped). They started the second half with 3 "three and outs" totally on pass plays (if my memory serves me correctly). He should have at least mixed in more runs to keep them honest.

Losing Dre was a major factor as well. I feel sorry for that guy....
One run play on the third drive out of the second half that was a 3 and out. How they didn't run the ball or take a deep shot after that pick is beyond me and a big difference in the game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If SF doesn't win on Purdy's rookie deal, that's it for this core. They've restructured contracts to push some dead cap down the line, but if they pay Purdy, things come to a head.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
SF finally has a full compliment of draft picks. Have to nail this upcoming draft. Going to need to make some tough decisions and move off guys.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Honestly, what else could they possibly need that they didn't have last night?
OL (at a minimum a starting RT, and ideally another good OL that can sub in for injuries or if RG is a hole as well) and another corner. It's honestly mind blowing how they have completely failed to address OL issues year in and year out while adding Hargrave to a stacked DL and drafting RBs/TE in the 2nd-3rd rounds. Huge blunder in terms of roster construction.

Reactions: OffSydes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad