Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope something happens in baseball soon. I’m a little tired of the Otani talks. Someone sign Stanton so the floodgates can open and the winter meetings can be exciting.

Warriors won again so what else is new. Honestly it’s hard to follow the NBA these days even though for some reason I’m liking Detroit. Maybe it’s the uniforms.

I wish the 49ers and Raiders were better. This week we get to see Jimmy G. That should be exciting.

Sucks that Stanford lost. Have a feeling thats not the last game they play at Levi’s this year. I could see an invite to the foster farms bowl.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

I mean I figured that's what we've been hearing the past few days, but the front office flat out saying they've agreed to something and now it's all on Stanton now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Ohtani signs with Angels, Stanton doesn't seem to want to come to the Giants. The Giants are f***ed. Forced rebuild.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ohtani signs with Angels, Stanton doesn't seem to want to come to the Giants. The Giants are ****ed. Forced rebuild.

I still think they'll get J.D. Martinez. Pence's contract comes off the books after 2018. Their farm system is one of (if not) the worst in baseball, but they'll spend some money.

The last I read, Scott Boras wants 7 for $210M for Martinez. Keep dreaming, Scott...

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
If they're not getting Stanton, I'd rather the Giants start rebuilding again. That farm system is bad.

Also, I don't even know what to believe anymore. STANTON STOP TEASING. Or better yet, the media really should shut up until actual news shows up because this is hell.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I still think they'll get J.D. Martinez. Pence's contract comes off the books after 2018. Their farm system is one of (if not) the worst in baseball, but they'll spend some money.

The last I read, Scott Boras wants 7 for $210M for Martinez. Keep dreaming, Scott...
The thing about the Giants is, they have so many holes. It’s not just one thing. Their outfield is awful, the bullpen is awful and their hitting in general is weak. If they got Stanton or Martinez that would help, but they still a CF, a 3b, a better bullpen, and the hope that belt, panik, Span, pence and Crawford all hit better and stay healthy. I just don’t think there’s enough available to them to fix most of those issues, especially if they don’t get Stanton or Martinez.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The thing about the Giants is, they have so many holes. It’s not just one thing. Their outfield is awful, the bullpen is awful and their hitting in general is weak. If they got Stanton or Martinez that would help, but they still a CF, a 3b, a better bullpen, and the hope that belt, panik, Span, pence and Crawford all hit better and stay healthy. I just don’t think there’s enough available to them to fix most of those issues, especially if they don’t get Stanton or Martinez.

Yeah but if you get someone of Stanton's caliber and have no farm system to really speak of, you kind of have to use the money you have and fill the holes the best you can. I just hope the Giants are smart enough on Span's mutual option to decline.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yeah but if you get someone of Stanton's caliber and have no farm system to really speak of, you kind of have to use the money you have and fill the holes the best you can. I just hope the Giants are smart enough on Span's mutual option to decline.
I agree, that if they get Stanton then you go all out. Really the giants should just go all out and hope that Stanton wants to come after the fact. Since they clearly don’t think they need to rebuild, then just follow your plan to fix the roster and if you get Stanton then awesome.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Rumor is that Stanton only wants to go to Houston, the Yankees, Dodgers or Cubs.
He really wants to win. If I were the Marlins, I wouldn't trade him this offseason then. Cut salary in other ways and hold on to him and see if you can get an even better deal next year. They can trade Ozuna or Yelich to stimulate their rebuild. If they do that, maybe Stanton decides he can't stay. Stanton also has an opt in his contract coming up, so it's not like he's married to whatever team eventually acquires him.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He really wants to win. If I were the Marlins, I wouldn't trade him this offseason then. Cut salary in other ways and hold on to him and see if you can get an even better deal next year. They can trade Ozuna or Yelich to stimulate their rebuild. If they do that, maybe Stanton decides he can't stay. Stanton also has an opt in his contract coming up, so it's not like he's married to whatever team eventually acquires him.

They kinda have to, though. They're $300M or so in debt. Moving Stanton will probably bring that number to the $30M-$45M range. They already moved Gordon, and I'm guessing that Yelich and Ozuna are next. Stanton would be foolish to opt out of that ridiculous contract.

Back to the Giants, if they stay healthy (Bumgarner, Cueto, Melancon, Belt, etc.), I think they could contend for a play-in game spot. I don't think they can compete with the Dodgers though. I think Arizona and Colorado will regress a lot.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Ohtani signs with a team that can only use half his talents. Good job.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They kinda have to, though. They're $300M or so in debt. Moving Stanton will probably bring that number to the $30M-$45M range. They already moved Gordon, and I'm guessing that Yelich and Ozuna are next. Stanton would be foolish to opt out of that ridiculous contract.

Back to the Giants, if they stay healthy (Bumgarner, Cueto, Melancon, Belt, etc.), I think they could contend for a play-in game spot. I don't think they can compete with the Dodgers though. I think Arizona and Colorado will regress a lot.

Health is definitely a big thing for the Giants and one that was kind of important that gets forgotten is Will Smith. If he can come back healthy and pitch well, that's a huge plus for the bullpen that needs all the help it can get. Even with a healthy Will Smith they need a reliable lefty because Osich and Okert are flaming hot garbage.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's what happens when dealing with a guy with a ntc. Sucks for Giants fans, but the ball is in his court.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know they played different positions in different eras, but it's absolutely ridiculous that Jack Morris got into the HOF before Barry Bonds, drugs or not. Morris is probably one of the five worst HOFers now.

Also, Bryce Love finished second in the Heisman. A Stanford player has finished second in the Heisman five times in the last nine seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad