Non-Minnesota NHL News XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I think that a team that has had as many top draft picks as the Oilers have recently had and still continue to be the pathetic team they are, should not be allowed another first overall.

They have chronic issues that need to be fixed like poor management and leadership. Bringing in another amazing player isn't going to affect that at all. More likely, it will just damage the career of yet another young player - ****ing joke.

I use to not like Yak at all - because he's kind of a dick, now I just feel bad for him. Is it ever really possible to retrain some of these players that develop bad habits and practices because of how poorly they are mismanaged?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Some of you really think McDavid's career will be ruined playing with Taylor Hall on his wing for what should certainly be an offensive-minded team going forward?

He may not win championships there, but I think he'll be fine. That is, until he inevitably leaves, since he was obviously not happy about it.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
He may not win championships there, but I think he'll be fine. That is, until he inevitably leaves, since he was obviously not happy about it.

Well he doesn´t need to go there but it would take some persistance from his part.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
There should be a rule that after you pick first overall, you're not allowed back in the top 5 for at least 5 years.

Deadmonton. What a ****ing joke.

McDavid, please, for the love of what should be a great hockey career, pull a Lindros. Don't let yourself waste away in that poorly managed hellhole.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I think that a team that has had as many top draft picks as the Oilers have recently had and still continue to be the pathetic team they are, should not be allowed another first overall.

They have chronic issues that need to be fixed like poor management and leadership. Bringing in another amazing player isn't going to affect that at all. More likely, it will just damage the career of yet another young player - ****ing joke.

I use to not like Yak at all - because he's kind of a dick, now I just feel bad for him. Is it ever really possible to retrain some of these players that develop bad habits and practices because of how poorly they are mismanaged?

I think you're putting too much into "Mismanagement ruining a career". Plenty of players get drafted to bad teams and go on to have great careers. Also, idk why you think Yak's is a "dick" but thats a rather immature and rude comment considering the type of person he is...

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I've seen "pull a Lindros" a lot lately. Who did Lindros stiff, and why didn't he want to go there?

The Quebec Nordiques, because he absolutely did not want to play in Quebec city. Forced the trade with Philly that more or less set the team up for the great success it had when it moved to Colorado.

I bet QC NHL fans are even more bitter about the loss of their team than we are about losing the North Stars.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
The Quebec Nordiques, because he absolutely did not want to play in Quebec city. Forced the trade with Philly that more or less set the team up for the great success it had when it moved to Colorado.

I bet QC NHL fans are even more bitter about the loss of their team than we are about losing the North Stars.

Of course they are. Unlike us, they:

- Still haven't gotten their team back
- Saw their team win their first cup THE YEAR after moving (rather than 6 years after)
- Were funneled into cheering for their most hated rivals (Habs)

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I think you're putting too much into "Mismanagement ruining a career". Plenty of players get drafted to bad teams and go on to have great careers. Also, idk why you think Yak's is a "dick" but thats a rather immature and rude comment considering the type of person he is...

I've met him and he's a jerk.

I've also met many other sports players who are actually very nice. He was not one of these. He was full of himself, entitled, and too self-important.

I think this entitles me to have an opinion about him.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I hope,, unlike many people, that he succeeds in EDM..

...This kid could be the next Crosby and that is very exciting and EDM has been crap long enough.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

I've also met many other sports players who are actually very nice. He was not one of these. He was full of himself, entitled, and too self-important.

So you had a brief experience with a professional athlete. If you were my mother I wouldn't trust your initial impression, no offense.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

sure your opinion counts but what were the circumstances and are you being completely fair & objective? i was treated poorly by jessie the body when he was a popular wrestler so i get it.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Can anyone figure out how to view regular season stats at nhl.com? I don't see a dropdown or anything to let me control it.. it just gives me playoff stats.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Ah, there it is. Right next to the print button. Seems like pretty crappy design. Thanks.

I was looking for the Wild stats only during the season and had to search for the filter function some time. ;)

Hopefully the design will become better in the 2nd season.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Looks like the Oilers have finally realized they should probably attempt to take advantage of the fact that they were gifted a generational talent. Bob Nicholson in as CEO and Peter Chiarelli seemingly in (at least it seems to be, for all intents and purposes, done at this point) as president of hockey ops, and now them talking to McLellan for their head coaching vacancy. Pretty much means Lowe and MacTavish will have zero control at this point.

Took those ****ers long enough. It's a shame that a generational talent was what was needed to wake that team the **** up.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
At least some of the more arrogant Jets fans will shut up now. Reading that thread on playoff board before the games started was cringeworthy, so many fans actually thought Anaheim would be the underdog there. I don't have any special sympathies for Winnipeg.

Billy Mays Here*

At least some of the more arrogant Jets fans will shut up now. Reading that thread on playoff board before the games started was cringeworthy, so many fans actually thought Anaheim would be the underdog there. I don't have any special sympathies for Winnipeg.

Just like a number of Wild fans that were in the main board thread after game 3 proclaiming the series was over or that the Wild had the Blues on the ropes. Yeah, bet they got a nice awakening tonight. How someone could ever be so smug or arrogant to count out the Blues already at that point is beyond me. I like the Winnipeg fan's passion, but I'm not sure I could be cheering wholeheartedly for my team after they just got swept.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Just like a number of Wild fans that were in the main board thread after game 3 proclaiming the series was over or that the Wild had the Blues on the ropes. Yeah, bet they got a nice awakening tonight. How someone could ever be so smug or arrogant to count out the Blues already at that point is beyond me. I like the Winnipeg fan's passion, but I'm not sure I could be cheering wholeheartedly for my team after they just got swept.

They did get swept, but not in convincing fashion. They threw away a couple of those games, and the Ducks may be "comeback experts" and "1 goal game savants" or whatever, but the Jets certainly let them comeback in those games.

But you gotta applaud their effort, they didn't get easily swept.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
As much fun as it has been to rag on the Oilers, I'm glad they're finally looking like they're making management changes that will be good for the team.

Minny Lakes

Apr 4, 2013
If Edmonton gets a few rock solid dmen this offseason, a good coach who get's players to buy into a system, along with McDavid, they could be in a playoff hunt next year with the talent they have on that team. As long as no other teams regress big time in the West, their will only be one crap team in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad