Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Alex Kirilloff, batting 3rd & playing 2nd game for Fort Myers, goes 4 for 6 w/ 5 RBIs. Miguel Sano, batting 4th & playing 3rd game for Ft. M, goes 0 for 4 w/ 2 Ks & 2 walks.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
More concerned about the 2 K’s against A ball pitching

Meh, good MLB hitters say it's harder to for them to pick up the ball in A ball (on rehab assignments).

Some of the places they play are a step down from nice high school practice diamonds. It's why the Twins dumped Beloit as their A team a few years ago. I go to a few Snappers games every summer and it's really bad lighting.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Since we're on the topic of baseball, let's talk about the state of the sport in general. There are a lot of radical ideas being thrown out on what to do about the game losing popularity. There's been "reduce it to 7 innings", "limit the number of pitchers per game", the pitch clock idea, etc..

I think this is a pretty good article talking about the issue, and I think there's one solution that stands out at this point: lower the pitching mound.
There's no ducking the numbers: MLB has a bad baseball problem that's only getting worse

This chart tells a lot of the story. There are fewer and fewer balls being put into play (no strikeouts, no home runs). The average time between balls put in play is 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Way too many K's and HRs combined.
(Link to image because it was too large):
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/2...18-mlb-offense-decline-hits-strikeouts-v2.png

It's also part of today's era where everything is about "star" players. There's a reason the NFL and NBA are way up on the MLB and NHL right now. Lebron. Curry. Brady. Rodgers. They impact every game in a huge way. Hockey and baseball are not like that, save for star pitchers probably.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Meh, good MLB hitters say it's harder to for them to pick up the ball in A ball (on rehab assignments).

Some of the places they play are a step down from nice high school practice diamonds. It's why the Twins dumped Beloit as their A team a few years ago. I go to a few Snappers games every summer and it's really bad lighting.
Go ahead and make excuses for Sano. He is there for a reason. He stinks right now. Again if he really was dedicated to his craft he would keep himself in better shape. Yes he’s a big man but let’s be honest here. He’s put on to many pounds since he broke in with the Twins. I’m hoping he gets the advice and help he needs at Ft Myers and takes it to heart. The talent is there but the heart isn’t.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Go ahead and make excuses for Sano. He is there for a reason. He stinks right now. Again if he really was dedicated to his craft he would keep himself in better shape. Yes he’s a big man but let’s be honest here. He’s put on to many pounds since he broke in with the Twins. I’m hoping he gets the advice and help he needs at Ft Myers and takes it to heart. The talent is there but the heart isn’t.

I could care less about Sano, not my team, not my problem.

I was just saying hitting in some of the "A" parks is a pita if you're used to nice clean baseballs and good lighting.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Since we're on the topic of baseball, let's talk about the state of the sport in general. There are a lot of radical ideas being thrown out on what to do about the game losing popularity. There's been "reduce it to 7 innings", "limit the number of pitchers per game", the pitch clock idea, etc..

I think this is a pretty good article talking about the issue, and I think there's one solution that stands out at this point: lower the pitching mound.
There's no ducking the numbers: MLB has a bad baseball problem that's only getting worse

This chart tells a lot of the story. There are fewer and fewer balls being put into play (no strikeouts, no home runs). The average time between balls put in play is 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Way too many K's and HRs combined.
(Link to image because it was too large):
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/2...18-mlb-offense-decline-hits-strikeouts-v2.png

It's also part of today's era where everything is about "star" players. There's a reason the NFL and NBA are way up on the MLB and NHL right now. Lebron. Curry. Brady. Rodgers. They impact every game in a huge way. Hockey and baseball are not like that, save for star pitchers probably.

I think it has more to do with the attention span people have today than anything else. I've been to games where people have their heads in their phones the entire game. Why spend money on admission, overpriced food/drink, and sit in unconfortable seats just to play around on your phone. I can sit at home in comfort for free, drink a 6 pack for the price of 1 baseball beer, eat a steak for the price of 2 hot dogs, and play on my pc and be just as entertained.

If I lived closer to a MLB stadium I would have gotten one of those $30/month pass and would be at almost every game. But I don't buy food/drink at the stadium, and I really enjoy baseball. I'm also a 80 yo living in a 40yo's body, so take it with a grain of salt. All the danged newfangled inventions: cell phones, smart houses, fuel injection..

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't play fantasy sports but I read some stuff on them from time to time. From MLB Dynasty mid year review on Sano:

You could take a glass-half-full approach with Miguel Sano, trusting that his recent demotion to the minors will be the kick in the butt he needs, but have you actually tried shopping him in a dynasty league? Few are assigning much value to an ex-prospect with health concerns, weight concerns, maturity concerns and off-the-field concerns, not to mention a persistent inability to put the bat on the ball. It's not over, of course, at age 25, but the boom-or-bust scale is tipping decidedly toward the latter.

Fantasy Baseball Dynasty Update: Players and prospects who've gained the most value at the halfway point

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Cool article on the 98 Vikes.
The Greatest Team Never to Make It: An Oral History of the 1998 Vikings

What do you guys think of the Hunter extension? I'm not sure I'm a huge fan for that money. Is it worth losing one of Diggs/Barr? It wouldn't be a given, but it will be tough to sign both.
I like it. Hunter has all the tools to be a beast, and he's still what, only 23? It could be another full season yet before he really gets into his prime. And he's shown it already, so it's not like we're paying solely on potential.

Ben Goessling was on with Barreiro the other day and said that he thinks Barr will get done. Barr has the same agent has Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, etc. Long relationship with the Vikings.

He was a little less confident on Diggs, though. Diggs' agent is apparently a little more apt to try and get the best deal possible, and doesn't really have much history working with the Vikings.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I like it. Hunter has all the tools to be a beast, and he's still what, only 23? It could be another full season yet before he really gets into his prime. And he's shown it already, so it's not like we're paying solely on potential.

Ben Goessling was on with Barreiro the other day and said that he thinks Barr will get done. Barr has the same agent has Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, etc. Long relationship with the Vikings.

He was a little less confident on Diggs, though. Diggs' agent is apparently a little more apt to try and get the best deal possible, and doesn't really have much history working with the Vikings.
I don't know, I've just never been sold that he's this amazing player. His best season came as a rotational player, where he doesn't have to play every down. I'd agree that I think Barr is more likely than Diggs, but there was some quote by Barr recently that made me a bit skeptical. I can't remember what it was anymore unfortunately.

I could be very wrong on Hunter, I just don't think he's shown enough to be given a top 10 DE contract in the entire league.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know, I've just never been sold that he's this amazing player. His best season came as a rotational player, where he doesn't have to play every down. I'd agree that I think Barr is more likely than Diggs, but there was some quote by Barr recently that made me a bit skeptical. I can't remember what it was anymore unfortunately.

I could be very wrong on Hunter, I just don't think he's shown enough to be given a top 10 DE contract in the entire league.
Yeah the Barr quote that was something like 'It's not about money, it's about respect' was kinda concerning. You hope he's not getting jaded sitting there watching all these other guys get big extensions.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Twins getting spanked once again by the Cubs 11-5. This is the Cubs 14th time to score 10 or more runs. The Twins have yet to reach double figures this season

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Twins getting spanked once again by the Cubs 11-5. This is the Cubs 14th time to score 10 or more runs. The Twins have yet to reach double figures this season
Wow. And they were a pretty explosive (at times) offense last year.

Just the way they drew it up, right?

It was a bit odd how they intentionally let him go back to 3rd. They got the out at second, and I wouldn't have expected the guy to go home shortly after he had fallen over. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad