Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Exactly... Peyton Manning threw duck passes to one of the most prolific careers in history.

And laughing at Teddy for going down with a non-contact injury... you realize 99% of all ACL tears etc, are ALL non-contact injuries right? That's a pretty damn common thing in football, Peterson's knee gave out without contact.

What's your point?

Not laughing at Teddy - I was rooting for him to make it. Liked his shiftiness but not so much the arm. Just laughing about the apparent argument that drafting Teddy somehow makes Spielman even somewhat ok at rating QBs. I politely disagree.

He was pretty small for being a QB and it wasn't a normal ACL, I thought that it was every ligament in the knee AND dislocated knee. Personally, I have never heard of that happening on a drop back.

I was rooting for Teddy to make it, but, maybe pro football just wasn't in the cards for him? Tough to scout it I guess, but, you can't give Spielman the benefit of the doubt when he has no track record with QBs.

There was talk of Teddy being a top 5, maybe top 10 pick iirc. He could have fallen for a reason, we don't know what other (more competent) scouts may have seen in him.

Anyway, I have no issues with Teddy or most of this team, just Spielman trotting out ANOTHER journeyman QB with a team that could be elite....its just typical. He actually thought Sage Rosefels was good and signed him twice (and for different teams). This is why we have garbage behind Bradford and stability at the position for the past.... is it over a decade now?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not laughing at Teddy - I was rooting for him to make it. Liked his shiftiness but not so much the arm. Just laughing about the apparent argument that drafting Teddy somehow makes Spielman even somewhat ok at rating QBs. I politely disagree.

He was pretty small for being a QB and it wasn't a normal ACL, I thought that it was every ligament in the knee AND dislocated knee. Personally, I have never heard of that happening on a drop back.

I was rooting for Teddy to make it, but, maybe pro football just wasn't in the cards for him? Tough to scout it I guess, but, you can't give Spielman the benefit of the doubt when he has no track record with QBs.

There was talk of Teddy being a top 5, maybe top 10 pick iirc. He could have fallen for a reason, we don't know what other (more competent) scouts may have seen in him.

Anyway, I have no issues with Teddy or most of this team, just Spielman trotting out ANOTHER journeyman QB with a team that could be elite....its just typical. He actually thought Sage Rosefels was good and signed him twice (and for different teams). This is why we have garbage behind Bradford and stability at the position for the past.... is it over a decade now?

No it wasn't every ligament in his knee... he tore the ACL, and had some secondary damage due to knee dislocation. His PCL and MCL did not tear, only his ACL.

I think it's hilarious that you talk about Rogers falling in the draft in hind sight, and credit the Packers for it... yet when Teddy was actually called the consensus #1 entering that college season, and many still believing it after that college season, but "pro day" performances causing Blake Bortles of all people to jump ahead of Teddy, when Teddy had actual game performances to show he was good and Bortles didn't... Teddy fell for just as stupid reasons as Rogers did... just like Dan Marino back in the 80's... brilliant scouts didn't like how low Marino held the ball, and even though he had one of the fastest releases ever, where he held the ball was supposedly going to be s problem, he'd never get the pass of because he'd have to bring it up so far first...

Scouts drop players for dumb reasons all the time. Teddy was dropped because he threw on his pro day without gloves, yet he plays all the time with them. His balls tis fluttered a bit more than normal, and his accuracy suffered a bit.

THAT is why he dropped to us. It was well documented at the time.

Yet he stepped on the field, and his head for the game and his very high accuracy were immediately apparent, and everyone felt we had the best QB in the draft and was expected to have a huge breakout last year like Carr broke out at that same time.

He was taking AHEAD of Carr at the time of injury...

Your criticisms are therefore, irrational IMO.

Last edited:

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
https://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2006/06/recounting-rick-spielmans-legacy.html
Aj Feeley
Brian Griese
Sage Rosefels (twice two different teams)
Gus Ferrote (twice two different teams)
Jay Fieldler
Brad Johnson when he was 40ish
Tjack
John Booty
Brooks Bollinger
Christian Ponder
Joe Webb
Donavon McNabb
Josh Freeman
Teddy (might never play again)
Bradford (see Teddy, still hopeful to move to the list of joy)

Rick Spielmans QB of joy
Favre

Spielman just doesn't get fired because he is good at filling every other position. The only way one of his teams could ever win a super bowl (IMHO) is if they had a historically good defense like the Ravens/Bucs, or, another Favre type situation. (sorry for my phone)

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So Comcast does the pregame show for Leicester/Liverpool, but doesn't show the game? Bogus!

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
So Comcast does the pregame show for Leicester/Liverpool, but doesn't show the game? Bogus!

Yep - I called and complained and they said to talk to NBC.

I ended up streaming to my chromecast, their nbcscn page streamed it for free once you authenticate your xfinity account with them.

Still, utterly ridiculous and the quality was not as good. NBC is trying to botch what used to be a really good thing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yep - I called and complained and they said to talk to NBC.

I ended up streaming to my chromecast, their nbcscn page streamed it for free once you authenticate your xfinity account with them.

Still, utterly ridiculous and the quality was not as good. NBC is trying to botch what used to be a really good thing.

Sounded like a good game, too.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The Loons game tonight was INSANE.

4 goals for the good guys, two posts, a disallowed goal, a saved penalty, a red card. Not much more you can ask from a soccer game. Super fun game to be at! :yo:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Keenum looks amazing so far. Diggs is having a huge day and could have an even bigger one without those two drops. Fantastic first half.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Maybe it's just me but...the new stadium seems QUIET compared to the old Dome. It seems so quiet there. Maybe it's a different crowd or something or they're less liquored up or something or whatever - maybe it's just me - but it seems so quiet there (at least on TV).

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Maybe it's just me but...the new stadium seems QUIET compared to the old Dome. It seems so quiet there. Maybe it's a different crowd or something or they're less liquored up or something or whatever - maybe it's just me - but it seems so quiet there (at least on TV).

I went to the Arizona game last season and it was LOUD. Like scream at the top of my lungs but not be able to hear myself loud. Ears were ringing and throat was absolutely gone after that game.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Cook is such a solid, well-rounded RB.

I didn't realize how bad Peterson was at blocking until seeing Cook.

I don't even think Cook is regarded as an elite blocker either, he just squares up and gets in the way. Even if the block fails its hard to run over someone that you pushed to the ground.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is the first game I've watched Romo as the announcer. I like him so far. He sees the game really well and can articulate what he's seeing in ways that make sense.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This is the first game I've watched Romo as the announcer. I like him so far. He sees the game really well and can articulate what he's seeing in ways that make sense.

The way he called out the rush coming was awesome.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

THAT'S who it is!

Damn, I've been trying to figure that out for too long :laugh:

But yes, he is very good.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

No way in hell! The new stadium is LOUDER than the dome!

I've been at every home game since 2003, trust me on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad