Nolan Injury Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
I'm not in Toronto, but my understanding of the situation is this:

The Leafs filed Nolan's buyout papers (meaning he was to be boughtout at 2/3 his salary for the 05-06 season) during the buyout period week during the summer.

However, Nolan immediately filed a grievance for the full amount of the last year of his contract under the provision that injured players could not be bought out at 2/3 salary according to the new CBA (however, they can be bought out for the full amount if injured -- someone correct me if this last statement is incorrect)due to what he is calling a "hockey related injury" and clearance to play when he claims he should not have been cleared to play.

The Leafs countered that Nolan injured himself in a "non-hockey related injury" whereby this case must now be decided by an independant arbitrator as to whether or not Nolan gets the full amount of his contract or the 2/3 buyout amount.

Either way, Nolan is now an UFA and his contract will not be on the Leafs books and not count against their salary cap this season.

As for another team wanting to sign Nolan, be my guest. However, even with rehab, if his knee is still injured after not playing for almost 16 months, my guess is that he will be a shell of his former self.

I wonder if Lou Lamarillo is interested? After all, he signed Mogilny with a bad hip for $4 mil. I wonder what Nolan could get with a bad knee? :biglaugh:

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
mooseOAK said:
And we all know what your interpretation is based on.

Nah, Salzy is good people when he decided to join a conversation instead of trolling in one.

And in this conversation I see him adding some good points.

The Nolan's contract has a few parts to it. He was hurt during the last game of the 2003-04 season and unable to play in the playoffs. During the lockout he was deemed to be healthy and therefore could not be paid during it. After it ended it was learned that Nolan's injury had not healed and in his agents and lawyers opinion should have been paid during the locked out season.

So the Leafs are ready to buy Nolan out BUT wait, he is hurt and you can not buyout a player who is hurt. So the Leafs are screwed. In the Leafs opinion this is a new injury and therefore has nothing to do with the 2003-04 injury and he should not be paid for the locked out season.

Thats where it is in a nutshell, the NHL has given the Leafs special clearence for Nolan anyways the grievence turns out (these things can take years)

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Kenadyan said:
I'm not in Toronto, but my understanding of the situation is this:

The Leafs filed Nolan's buyout papers (meaning he was to be boughtout at 2/3 his salary for the 05-06 season) during the buyout period week during the summer.

However, Nolan immediately filed a grievance for the full amount of the last year of his contract under the provision that injured players could not be bought out at 2/3 salary according to the new CBA (however, they can be bought out for the full amount if injured -- someone correct me if this last statement is incorrect)due to what he is calling a "hockey related injury" and clearance to play when he claims he should not have been cleared to play.

The Leafs countered that Nolan injured himself in a "non-hockey related injury" whereby this case must now be decided by an independant arbitrator as to whether or not Nolan gets the full amount of his contract or the 2/3 buyout amount.

Either way, Nolan is now an UFA and his contract will not be on the Leafs books and not count against their salary cap this season.

This is the part I dont understand... I agree that you cant buy a player out if they are injured for 2/3 of their salary... but if the LEAFS lose their case ... how can they buy him out? even if it is for his full salary... I thought you could not buy out players that are on injured reserve? .... and if thats the case why does his salary not count against their cap?

CupDrought67

Aug 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
www.freewebs.com
dakota said:
This is the part I dont understand... I agree that you cant buy a player out if they are injured for 2/3 of their salary... but if the LEAFS lose their case ... how can they buy him out? even if it is for his full salary... I thought you could not buy out players that are on injured reserve? .... and if thats the case why does his salary not count against their cap?
It's a special case because nolan didn't even report the injury until after the lock out ended and his name started appearing in buyout rumours (obviously). So then he announced he was injured, but then the league obviously didn't think it was fair and now there is a dispute to whether they will end up paying him more or less. Either way it doesn't count against the cap.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
CupDrought67 said:
It's a special case because nolan didn't even report the injury until after the lock out ended and his name started appearing in buyout rumours (obviously). So then he announced he was injured, but then the league obviously didn't think it was fair and now there is a dispute to whether they will end up paying him more or less. Either way it doesn't count against the cap.

Ok now I am really confused as I just heard Bob Mackenzie stat that if Nolan wins then the Leafs have cap problems??? What the hell? Did anyone else hear this on the Leaf broadcast last week?

Dar

Jan 22, 2003
Visit site
dakota said:
Ok now I am really confused as I just heard Bob Mackenzie stat that if Nolan wins then the Leafs have cap problems??? What the hell? Did anyone else hear this on the Leaf broadcast last week?
Pretty sure, Bob's wrong on this one (must have been an off day :D ), because both Bettmen and Daly have themselves said on record that no matter what happens, the outcome will have no impact whatsoever on the Leafs cap numbers.

dakota

May 18, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Dar said:
Pretty sure, Bob's wrong on this one (must have been an off day :D ), because both Bettmen and Daly have themselves said on record that no matter what happens, the outcome will have no impact whatsoever on the Leafs cap numbers.

is there a link to this or was this just in an interview? when is this all going to clear up? I think Calgary is interested in Nolan... could the Leafs not trade him to Calgary?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
dakota said:
is there a link to this or was this just in an interview? when is this all going to clear up? I think Calgary is interested in Nolan... could the Leafs not trade him to Calgary?

Nope - no need to. He is either waived/released at full salary or bought out at 2/3's - either way he will be a UFA, free to sign anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad