Player Discussion Noah Juulsen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
we are getting ahead of our selves with this guy

No kidding.

Brent Sopel was a 21-23 minute/game defender here who had a 42-point season.

Juulsen has been a nice story this year and progressed well after looking unplayable early, but he's progressed to the point where he's a solid 7th defender who you don't have to worry about on your 3rd pairing if someone gets hurt. He isn't some sort of top-4 guy and I'd prefer he isn't playing in the playoffs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
we are getting ahead of our selves with this guy
Actually I'm not sure we are.

Brent Sopel was a sixth round draft pick of the Canucks in 1995 and spent two more seasons with the Swift Current Broncos, before spending another three seasons with the Syracuse Crunch in the AHL.

By the time a d-man has been the AHL for three seasons, there's serious doubts about him ever making much impact in the NHL. And Sopel's breakout campaign with the Canucks didn't come until the 2001-2002 season.

Juulsen was a much higher pick than Sopel, but his career was totally derailed by injuries. In fact the last two seasons were the first time he played more than 50 plus games in his entire career of six pro seasons.

Juulsen may never match Sopel's offensive number, but the similarities in the career paths are more than co-incidental.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Brent Sopel was a sixth round draft pick of the Canucks in 1995 and spent two more seasons with the Swift Current Broncos, before spending another three seasons with the Syracuse Crunch in the AHL.

By the time a d-man has been the AHL for three seasons, there's serious doubts about him ever making much impact in the NHL. And Sopel's breakout campaign with the Canucks didn't come until the 2001-2002 season.

Juulsen was a much higher pick than Sopel, but his career was totally derailed by injuries. In fact the last two seasons were the first time he played more than 50 plus games in his entire career of six pro seasons.

Juulsen may never match Sopel's offensive number, but the similarities in the career paths are more than co-incidental.

Sopel was in his 3rd year as a top-4 defender - scoring 42 points - at the same age Juulsen is now.

Juulsen is comparable to Ryan Stanton or Aaron Rome or Kyle Burroughs - those sorts of guys who hung around for a long time and found a way to stick as a 6-7D in their mid-20s. He is never going to be on the same planet as Brent Sopel was as a player.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
No kidding.

Juulsen has been a nice story this year and progressed well after looking unplayable early, but he's progressed to the point where he's a solid 7th defender who you don't have to worry about on your 3rd pairing if someone gets hurt. He isn't some sort of top-4 guy and I'd prefer he isn't playing in the playoffs.

IMO, he's the type of guy contenders look to acquire for a mid-round pick at the TDL for injury insurance. We are a contender and we already have him, so bonus on saving ourselves looking to acquire such a player.

That he plays serviceably whenever called upon is really nice for us. And I'm glad for him that he's found a role at this level. Nice to see a local kid succeed.

But yeah, definitely need to understand what his role is.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
IMO, he's the type of guy contenders look to acquire for a mid-round pick at the TDL for injury insurance. We are a contender and we already have him, so bonus on saving ourselves looking to acquire such a player.

That he plays serviceably whenever called upon is really nice for us. And I'm glad for him that he's found a role at this level. Nice to see a local kid succeed.

I like to dream, so I hope that with one more off-season, Juulsen will develop from a solid 7 to a solid 6. Right side, 6'2", 201 lbs, and, most importantly considering all the considerables, $775,000 for another year.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
No kidding.

Sopel was also an NHL regular at like 23. Might have been sooner if Crawford wasn't such a weirdo.

• Wow
Reactions: Play

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Huh? Like you said, Juulsen's career was derailed by injuries. Sopel's career path was almost smooth. Certainly Sopel stepped right into the AHL and looked like a promising prospect.

I don't think it's correct to say Juulsen was tougher than Sopel. Sopel played in an era where the game was more physical. Sopel certainly developed that aspect of his game. Sopel had his moments defensively and Crow kept telling him he needed to get bigger but the prime version of Sopel should be respected for his willingness to block shots etc.

Like others have mentioned, most would be happy if a guy drafted in the 6th round had Sopel's career path. Juulsen not so much.

Well... he doesn't have playoff experience. Aside from Jaycob Megna last year (who was logging top 4 minutes for San Jose), I don't quite recall 6th/7th Dmen types like Juulsen being traded for a mid round pick. Maybe that speaks to their value but it's usually the veteran guys with playoff experience that go for a 3rd or more like Schenn you see more often. Not a whole lot of teams trading a mid round pick just to add a depth defender for depth purposes.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
No kidding.

I think Juulsen has played like a 6 since his turn around.

But I think it’s a semantics argument because I do agree I’m not worried about him playing 12 mins a game

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I think Juulsen has played like a 6 since his turn around.

But I think it’s a semantics argument because I do agree I’m not worried about him playing 12 mins a game
He's 100% a 5.3 since coming back. How dare you insult the square jawed beast

• Love
Reactions: Peen

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Huh? Like you said, Juulsen's career was derailed by injuries. Sopel's career path was almost smooth. Certainly Sopel stepped right into the AHL and looked like a promising prospect.

I don't think it's correct to say Juulsen was tougher than Sopel. Sopel played in an era where the game was more physical. Sopel certainly developed that aspect of his game. Sopel had his moments defensively and Crow kept telling him he needed to get bigger but the prime version of Sopel should be respected for his willingness to block shots etc.

Like others have mentioned, most would be happy if a guy drafted in the 6th round had Sopel's career path. Juulsen not so much.

Well... he doesn't have playoff experience. Aside from Jaycob Megna last year (who was logging top 4 minutes for San Jose), I don't quite recall 6th/7th Dmen types like Juulsen being traded for a mid round pick. Maybe that speaks to their value but it's usually the veteran guys with playoff experience that go for a 3rd or more like Schenn you see more often. Not a whole lot of teams trading a mid round pick just to add a depth defender for depth purposes.

In my mind’s eye I meant a 5th-7th round pick, which I guess is late not mid. My bad.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Even then can you think of some comparables? It’s escaping my mind. I don’t think there was any at the last deadline.

You probably mentioned the closest recent one I can think of (Megna). Going back in our own history, I feel like we had the odd deadline swap for depth defenders (pre-Benning, that is). Dermott and Hamonic moved but they were a lot more established. Going back in time, maybe Sean Brown and the like?

(There's probably wider league-wide comparables, but my memory isn't quite that sharp)

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
He's rapidly turning into a more physical version of Brent Sopel.....who played in the league a long time.

Vancouver used to be the place where d-men-- that the team either drafted or acquired--usually hit rock bottom. The list seems endless......Gudbranson, Juolevi, Poolman, OEL, Stillman, Pouliot, Hamonic and even Myers, who basically struggled for the last five seasons.

But I'm convinced that if the Canucks had, had coaches like Tocchet, Gonchar and Foote behind the bench, the narrative for those failed d-men might have been a lot different.
I agree with your general sentiment. But I'll disagree on a couple of players.

Myers. Winnipeg fans were generally not sad to see him go and I think he has always had defensive weaknesses. I would say top credit to the coaching staff to stop him getting turnstiled this year.

Secondly, and my main point. OEL. I always liked OEL. 22/23 was his only bad season and he had made it clear he was dealing with an injury. He is playing as 2nd pairing in Florida. He is only 32 and I bet he will still be a beast when his contract would have expired. I think we made a bad mistake buying him out. I would argue that he is not far off Hronek in capability. Next year we are not going to be able to afford Hronek and OEL was locked in for most of his remaining career.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Juulsen is like found money at this point..He's turning into a solid ,reliable 3rd pairing D man..Another player (like Joshua) that the coaching staff have developed into a solid NHL player..According to Tocchet, Juulsen is a very coachable player, one of Footes pet projects.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You probably mentioned the closest recent one I can think of (Megna). Going back in our own history, I feel like we had the odd deadline swap for depth defenders (pre-Benning, that is). Dermott and Hamonic moved but they were a lot more established. Going back in time, maybe Sean Brown and the like?

(There's probably wider league-wide comparables, but my memory isn't quite that sharp)

Ya I was thinking Sean Brown. But even then that deal might have been done without knowing whether Carney and Weinrich deals would be done? It was less injury insurance but an actual hole/spot that needed to be filled? Regardless that was a long time ago and Brown did have playoff experience.

Dermott and Hamonic weren't really injury insurance pickups? Barely even stretch drive pickups?

I guess with waivers and such most teams do have someone down on the farm who could fill the Juulsen role? Like the Canucks have Irwin and likely would have BreezeBois if he was healthy. There are also teams looking to unload a player to upgrade like the Leafs have done.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Juulsen making a case to be the #6 when everyone is healthy.

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Cole
Soucey Juulsen
Myers

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Juulsen making a case to be the #6 when everyone is healthy.

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Cole
Soucey Juulsen
Myers
Yep, I think it goes to show how frustrating Myers has been all these years. Just zero improvement, every time he goes on a good streak he eventually reverts back to his same old chaotic self for most of the season. Meanwhile Juulsen is a journeyman who had been in and out of many teams, but despite a poor start he started cleaning up his game little by little and after half a season all these marginal improvements is pushing him from marginal to everyday NHLer.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's impossible to overstate how far Juulsen has come since training camp. Back then, he looked very much the epitome of an AHL-NHL 'tweener.

But he's rapidly morphed into one of the Canucks most reliable d-men. He hits hard; consistently breaks up passes at the blueline; is steady with his zone exits; and is a staple on the PK. Also, he can play with almost anybody as a defensive pairing.

I would imagine that full marks have to go to Foote and Gonchar, for helping to re-make Juulsen's game. But right now, he's one of the Canucks more underrated success stories this season.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
It's impossible to overstate how far Juulsen has come since training camp. Back then, he looked very much the epitome of an AHL-NHL 'tweener.

But he's rapidly morphed into one of the Canucks most reliable d-men. He hits hard; consistently breaks up passes at the blueline; is steady with his zone exits; and is a staple on the PK. Also, he can play with almost anybody as a defensive pairing.

I would imagine that full marks have to go to Foote and Gonchar, for helping to re-make Juulsen's game. But right now, he's one of the Canucks more underrated success stories this season.
And he's signed for another year at 775,000.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Yep, I think it goes to show how frustrating Myers has been all these years. Just zero improvement, every time he goes on a good streak he eventually reverts back to his same old chaotic self for most of the season. Meanwhile Juulsen is a journeyman who had been in and out of many teams, but despite a poor start he started cleaning up his game little by little and after half a season all these marginal improvements is pushing him from marginal to everyday NHLer.
Juulsen has had a strange development timeline. After turning pro in 2017 and playing his first NHL game as a 20 year old, he only played 100 pro games over the next 4 years before he was picked up by the Canucks before the 21/22 season. He was 24 at the time and arguably had 2 years of development time wasted. I'm sure it's at least in part because of a COVID adjusted development path.

Now with around 250 games of pro hockey (103 in the NHL) and very solid development support, he has rounded into a solid bottom pairing NHL defenseman that has some very desirable attributes (PK, shot blocking, physical).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad