Seravalli: Noah Hanifin is holding the Calgary Flames hostage in trade talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
His return is going to be disappointing. Conroy should have traded his ass much earlier in the season. This is what happens when you give a player complete control calling the shots.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If he isn't willing to sign with a team the return will be at best a rental return.
Rental prices still aren't that bad. If Hanifan doesn't want to sign an extension with the team he's traded to then Conrioy has no option - work with the list Hanifan gives him and get the best return possible. It still beats letting Hanifan go out the door for nothing.

Reactions: AslanRH

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
So you dont have to click it:
Hanifin has 8 team NTC
Why is it a problem?
His camp can tell interested teams that there's little interest in re-signing long-term, killing potential deals before they happen
Total jerk move by his camp........
Does this guy even move the needle for a team? Doesn't seem like he is all that?
Am I missing something?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
His return is going to be disappointing. Conroy should have traded his ass much earlier in the season. This is what happens when you give a player complete control calling the shots.
How exactly this situation changed, assuming Hanifin gave Flames his NTC list at the start of the season.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hanifin has 8 team NTC
Why is it a problem?
His camp can tell interested teams that there's little interest in re-signing long-term, killing potential deals before they happen
This is why you don’t let other teams negotiate before a trade in these cases, effectively acts as a full NTC.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Rental prices still aren't that bad. If Hanifan doesn't want to sign an extension with the team he's traded to then Conrioy has no option - work with the list Hanifan gives him and get the best return possible. It still beats letting Hanifan go out the door for nothing.
Don't disagree, but if he does say he'd consider signing with the acquiring team, that rental 1st + prospect becomes closer to what it sounds like Conroy is looking for (1st + higher end prospect).

I don't think the rental return will be underwhelming, but if it is one of the teams he isn't eager to sign with, it will be muted

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
How exactly this situation changed, assuming Hanifin gave Flames his NTC list at the start of the season.

Hanifin has been toying with Flames management since last summer giving the media and fans wishy washy answers on his future with the club. Then he takes an eternity to decline the long term offer that Conroy put on the table. Conroy should have traded him last summer, the guy has had one foot out the door for over a full season now.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Hanifin has been toying with Flames management since last summer giving the media and fans wishy washy answers on his future with the club. Then he takes an eternity to decline the long term offer that Conroy put on the table. Conroy should have traded him last summer, the guy has had one foot out the door for over a full season now.
So was the no trade list different in November compared what it is now?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So was the no trade list different in November compared what it is now?
It's not about the NTC. Hanafin's agent can tell teams that Hanafin won't re-sign with them, effectively eliminating those teams as trade partners.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Don't disagree, but if he does say he'd consider signing with the acquiring team, that rental 1st + prospect becomes closer to what it sounds like Conroy is looking for (1st + higher end prospect).

I don't think the rental return will be underwhelming, but if it is one of the teams he isn't eager to sign with, it will be muted
Sure but rules are rules and Hanifan has every right to work within them to his advantage.

Reactions: Guyver

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
This thread is a hilarious example of how piss f***ing poor hockey fans are at critical thinking and really.. just the ability to read and infer. The statement has NOTHING to do with the NTC yet that's all that's being posted here.

To the brave few pointing out that it's Hanafin's leak of who he's willing to sign with I commend you.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hanifin has 8 team NTC
Why is it a problem?
It's a problem for CGY because they are trying to trade him as a non-rental.

I mean can't call Hanifin a hostage taker when the Flames are the ones that gave him that NTC.

Not like this should be a surprise to Conroy. I know he's had a lot to deal with as a rookie GM, but not the players fault.

It's simple you ask is there any more teams you are willing to go to and try make the best trade you can.

Also don't think it's fair that a guy hitting free agency for the first time has this whole pressure of "you really should re-sign with us if get traded to us". Teams really like to have their cake and eat it too.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Nobody knows for sure but my guess that it is. Hanifin is living in the moment.
I dont think that is possible, if the list is sent to the team once per season.

It's not about the NTC. Hanafin's agent can tell teams that Hanafin won't re-sign with them, effectively eliminating those teams as trade partners.
It's not eliminating those teams, it just means rental instead of sign and trade, or trade and extension.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This thread is a hilarious example of how piss f***ing poor hockey fans are at critical thinking and really.. just the ability to read and infer. The statement has NOTHING to do with the NTC yet that's all that's being posted here.

To the brave few pointing out that it's Hanafin's leak of who he's willing to sign with I commend you.
Who cares, it's 100% in his right. Why should he have to sign with whoever trades for him?

boredguy

Sep 24, 2007
Wonder what Servalli is getting from Flames management for this pr piece. Dude is such a hack.

Reactions: Metroid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad