Noah Dobson or Evan Bouchard?

Who becomes the better NHLer, Dobson or Bouchard?

• Noah Dobson

• Evan Bouchard

Results are only viewable after voting.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Both highly ranked D in their draft who went 2 spots apart. There was a lot of talk as prospects and early into their NHL careers about Dobson being a better prospect due to apparent defending and skating issues of Bouchard. I think Bouchard is starting to prove many of those concerns were overblown, and is showing that his offensive game is light years ahead of Dobson's. So I figured I'd rehash this debate now that both are full-time NHLers.

Who do you think becomes the better NHLer?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Bouchard is doing well in driving offense this year, so it is good to see that portion of his game translating.

But neither are anything to write home about defensively, both are well below average in that department this year

I can't speak to Dobson but Bouchard's defensive game has certainly not been "below average".

He quickly earned himself a spot in our top-4, and is now only second in TOI/GP to Nurse. Since Nurse has been out our defense as a whole has (understandably) struggled, Bouchard included, but his two-way game as a whole this year has been very solid. Being on pace for 50 points with little to no powerplay time is also pretty sweet. :)

People are still reiterating his defensive and skating concerns from his draft year, but he's improved considerably in both departments since then.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I was higher on Dobson during the draft, but so far I think Bouchard have developed more efficiently and is currently the better player. I'll vote Bouchard, but I could see Dobson changing my mind again.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Bouchard.

His defensive play and skating has greatly improved since he was drafted. He’s become an outstanding penalty killer as well on one of the best PK groups in the NHL.

Bouchard’s offensive hockey IQ and passing ability particularly on the breakout and stretch passes in transition are far ahead of Dobson’s.

Reactions: 780il and ThomasG

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Bouchard is going to be the next Brian Campbell. Probably not a Norris but a great PP producer and solid D for a long time.

Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Bouchard is going to be the next Brian Campbell. Probably not a Norris but a great PP producer and solid D for a long time.

Nothing wrong with that.
A >1000 game guy who could consistently get 40-50 points in his prime while holding his own defensively would make me ecstatic.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bouchard.

His defensive play and skating has greatly improved since he was drafted. He’s become an outstanding penalty killer as well on one of the best PK groups in the NHL.

Bouchard’s offensive hockey IQ and passing ability particularly on the breakout and stretch passes in transition are far ahead of Dobson’s.
To me Bouchard's skating hasn't really improved that much, he's just learned better positioning and is moving his feet better. He was always a good skater despite the false HF narrative (same was true of Draisaitl). His understanding in the defensive zone is the biggest area I've seen him improve in, and his willingness to engage physically.

I mentioned many times while both were still in junior that I really did not see Dobson's offence game translating to the NHL because there wasn't really any tool you could point to aside from his skating that looked like an elite offensive tool. Unfortunately elite skating doesn't really translate to offence unless there are other elite tools to work with. Bouch might not be an elite skater, but he has elite poise, vision, and an elite mix of playmaking and shooting. That is why I always felt Bouch would be the better NHLer because even if his defensive game was always shit he would always have that elite offensive game. Dobson on the other hand always looked like he'd be a solid defensive dman because of his size and skating, but there's just nothing there for me on the offensive side that hundreds of other NHL D prospects don't possess.

Reactions: ThomasG

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Dobson reminded me a lot of Pietrangelo on draft day so I really liked him, but Bouchards tools and his improvement in his all around game and skating leads me to him for now.

The thing with dmen that young is it can sometimes be a switch that just turns on so who knows.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Dobson will have the longer and more stable career without complaints.

Bouchard I think is electrifying when it comes to offense, but I think he'll get worn out after he's 33.

Reactions: SI90

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Bouchard reminds me a lot of John Carlson. Big body who isn’t the best skater hit but makes it work- strengths of his game is passing, shooting and hockey IQ.

If he could get anywhere near that level that’d be huge for the Oilers. Watch out for Bouchard once he inherits the 1st Unit PP, his point totals will explode

Reactions: Dominance

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Hard to say now. Bouchard has looked good and his skating improved this past off-season (trained with Nurse). His ability to create a clean breakout with his passing ability is nice and his offensive instincts are good. Dobson seems like he will be a steady defender who will log big minutes for a long time so probably comes down to a team preference.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Obviously a homer and I don't get watch Dobson as much as I'd like, but I'll take Bouchard. On a 50 point pace despite little PP time, but the biggest thing that's stuck out is how much his defensive game has improved from last season to this one. Gap control, physicality, stopping the cycle, etc. Huge improvements away from the puck. Would like to see him get a bit more PP time, but with a historically good PP with Barrie there's little reason to mess with that right now.

Reactions: Gh0st

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I think Dobson will have the longer and more stable career without complaints.

Bouchard I think is electrifying when it comes to offense, but I think he'll get worn out after he's 33.

If he gives us a decade of Carlson-like play I think the Oilers are very, very happy with that. The McDavid-Draisaitl window will have closed (or be closing) by the time Bouchard is 33 anyways.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Bouchard is doing well in driving offense this year, so it is good to see that portion of his game translating.

But neither are anything to write home about defensively, both are well below average in that department this year

Maybe Dobson is below average, Bouchard isnt. Hes right around average

upload_2021-12-3_16-52-40.png

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
To me Bouchard's skating hasn't really improved that much, he's just learned better positioning and is moving his feet better. He was always a good skater despite the false HF narrative (same was true of Draisaitl). His understanding in the defensive zone is the biggest area I've seen him improve in, and his willingness to engage physically.

I mentioned many times while both were still in junior that I really did not see Dobson's offence game translating to the NHL because there wasn't really any tool you could point to aside from his skating that looked like an elite offensive tool. Unfortunately elite skating doesn't really translate to offence unless there are other elite tools to work with. Bouch might not be an elite skater, but he has elite poise, vision, and an elite mix of playmaking and shooting. That is why I always felt Bouch would be the better NHLer because even if his defensive game was always shit he would always have that elite offensive game. Dobson on the other hand always looked like he'd be a solid defensive dman because of his size and skating, but there's just nothing there for me on the offensive side that hundreds of other NHL D prospects don't possess.

Bouchard is a good skater, but he still gets caught in his pivots. It's not a fatal flaw or anything, but he could use some work in that area--either by working on his pivot skills or learning to anticipate the play a little earlier, or both.

That said, he is far from a defensive liability. Someone mentioned Carlson as a comparable, which I think is pretty close, though I don't think Bouchard will be as mobile (but Bouchard has a better shot I think).

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Bouchard this season:

22 games, 15 points (4 goals and 11 assists), +9.
He’s been a beast. Both defensively and picking his spots to contribute some offense.

Played 24:37 TOI tonight. In Nurses absence he’s stepped up into the #1dman role as a rookie. He’s a huge part of the Oilers ascension into one of the top teams of the west.

Even once Nurse returns he has a lock on the #2 role.

Reactions: ujju2 and snipes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad