No upsets so far

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
One could argue that all favourites have won their series so far .

And Vegas won the cup last year so it would'nt be a great upset if they take out Dallas (even if Dallas has a great team).

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
As an Aves fan I felt pretty confident going into the series, but it seems like most of the talking heads were predicting Winnipeg would take the series. So while it feels weird to call it an "upset", I'm not sure you can could call Colorado the clear favorite either....and winning in 5 is probably the most surprising result of the first round.....especially after losing game 1.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
"Darn it, I'm so upseeeet. Tihi."

mitch-marner-toronto-maple-leafs.gif

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
As an Aves fan I felt pretty confident going into the series, but it seems like most of the talking heads were predicting Winnipeg would take the series. So while it feels weird to call it an "upset", I'm not sure you can could call Colorado the clear favorite either....and winning in 5 is probably the most surprising result of the first round.....especially after losing game 1.
I remember initially the talk was Winnipeg as favorite because goalies. And the first game was a clear example of that. Indeed, Avs in 5 was quite a surprise, GG to you guys

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The leafs are pretty upset :sarcasm:
Yeah, for sure. I know most are viewing it as they were the underdogs and Boston being the team that "should" win, but I can't help but feel the expectation was always more than that. They had a player score more goals than we've seen in a very long time. They have a recent history of not making it out of the first round, and after last year, the expectation from fans/organization had to be going on a deep playoff run, being cup contenders. Regardless of the standings. It's a little different because they were down in the series instead of really blowing it, but fans gotta be tired and upset always seeing them bounced early.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah, for sure. I know most are viewing it as they were the underdogs and Boston being the team that "should" win, but I can't help but feel the expectation was always more than that. They had a player score more goals than we've seen in a very long time. They have a recent history of not making it out of the first round, and after last year, the expectation from fans/organization had to be going on a deep playoff run, being cup contenders. Regardless of the standings. It's a little different because they were down in the series instead of really blowing it, but fans gotta be tired and upset always seeing them bounced early.
I honestly viewed the series as a toss up. Gun to my head I probably would say BOS but I wouldn’t have been surprised if either team won

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Well Boston basically had the Atlantic won until they lost their final game in regulation to Ottawa, so I wouldn't say the Leafs were the favourites.

Add on the fact that they lost both Matthews and Nylander for multiple games in a 7 game series and I don't think they were expected to win - but they were still close. I think if the Leafs were all healthy (including Woll) the series would have been different though. We still don't know the extent of Matthews injury but he wasn't 100% even when he came back or played through it in the earlier games. The same with Nylander.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well Boston basically had the Atlantic won until they lost their final game in regulation to Ottawa, so I wouldn't say the Leafs were the favourites.

Add on the fact that they lost both Matthews and Nylander for multiple games in a 7 game series and I don't think they were expected to win - but they were still close. I think if the Leafs were all healthy (including Woll) the series would have been different though. We still don't know the extent of Matthews injury but he wasn't 100% even when he came back or played through it in the earlier games. The same with Nylander.
I mean at the end of the day it’s all excuses…. Good teams figure it out.

Samsonov gave them a chance in game 7, unfortunately the team let him down

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
Last year we were quite upset that so many wrong teams were winning. Perhaps too much parity is not such a huge problem after all.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The leafs are just the 10th best regular season team in the league. Its not a surprise they couldn't make the final 8. They were never a contender.

Reactions: torontoblood

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Samsonov let in 1 goal in regulation, it’s not on him last night, leafs just couldn’t score, it’s probably on the PP going 4% in the series.

We’re talking about the series not 1 game. Samsonov had an under .900 save percentage and GAA above 3 in the series. There was a massive difference between Woll and Samsonov this series.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
A #5 seed winning a 1st rd playoff series against a lower ranked opponent is a f***ing joke

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We’re talking about the series not 1 game. Samsonov had an under .900 save percentage and GAA above 3 in the series.
It was a one game take all last night, you couldn’t of asked more of Sammy yesterday.
But sure blame Sammy for yesterday lol.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We’re talking about the series not 1 game. Samsonov had an under .900 save percentage and GAA above 3 in the series.
3GAA is about what the Avs had and they won in 5. The Leafs scored 1.71 goals a game. Thats worse than the washington capitals LOL.

The leafs offense had a worse series than the leafs defense. And if you put all of the goals against on samsonov, then where is the blame for the PATHETIC offense.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
One could argue that all favourites have won their series so far .

And Vegas won the cup last year so it would'nt be a great upset if they take out Dallas (even if Dallas has a great team).
Might be a huge upset tonight if Dallas pulls it off. I don't think it's unreasonable to think it is possible.

Reactions: Rorschach

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Avs needed only average goaltending to be (cup-)favourites. And they got it.

I think Nucks and Jets played above their weight class the whole year, so it’s not really an upset.

Bruins were the weakest in about 15 years (with Pasta obviously injured), so the Leafs could have won the series. But in game 7 they had to beLeaf again.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I remember initially the talk was Winnipeg as favorite because goalies. And the first game was a clear example of that. Indeed, Avs in 5 was quite a surprise, GG to you guys
That's surprising. Winnipeg has nobody that matches against MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
We’re talking about the series not 1 game. Samsonov had an under .900 save percentage and GAA above 3 in the series. There was a massive difference between Woll and Samsonov this series.

Clearly, the problem is Samsonov when the team only scored 12 goals in 7 games.

It's like blaming Price for losing SCF after his team scored 8 goals in 5 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad