Post-Game Talk: No OT, No SO, No Win. Habs lose 2-1

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Ducharme era had bad goaltending while MSL frequently gets good goaltending, not much else is different.

You forget two major things:
1. Ducharme had a team lead by vets: Perry, Price, Weber, etc. MSL has a very, very young and inexperienced team.
2. Player quickly gave up on Ducharme. They haven't given up on MSL.

Otherwise you're right, both teams lack direction, and especially lack talent, big time.

Evans is quite a player this year. 2 goals, wow !!
872 goals away from Gretzky's record, stay tuned.
Since his injuries, his only redeeming quality is he wins faceoffs. I don't get how we haven't upgraded on him yet.

Then again, it wouldn't change anything to the end result.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You forget two major things:
1. Ducharme had a team lead by vets: Perry, Price, Weber, etc. MSL has a very, very young and inexperienced team.
2. Player quickly gave up on Ducharme. They haven't given up on MSL.

Otherwise you're right, both teams lack direction, and especially lack talent, big time.
I'm talking about Ducharme post-finals, in the year where we got Slaf.
1. Price played 5 games which was when MSL was here. Perry and Weber were gone by this point. Not to mention that vets like Dvorak and Anderson have completely lost their scoring touch now when they didn't back then (could be due to other reasons besides MSL).
2. There is definitely more effort for MSL, but it's inconsistent. The team usually plays well for a fraction of the game.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Is Cole Caufield trying to do too much (“gripping his stick too hard”)? What’s going on here…

He's worse than Bonk or Smolinsky. He's more in the Chad Kilger type of player or Jim Montgomery.
But how about his body language? He's unhappy, no positive emotions, no fun, no nothing except that unhappy face. I guess in his head he misses the cactus or Arizona and playing golf all year long.

Evans is quite a player this year. 2 goals, wow !!
872 goals away from Gretzky's record, stay tuned.
Evans is a good guy and Dvorak didn’t ask to be traded here. Everybody is friends with Dvorak, he just doesn’t smile much. Enough toxicity, you’re blasting the guy who scored the only goal. Chill out.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm glad I skipped this one.
Our offence is just ridiculously bad.
The team rarely gets destroyed like in Ducharme era but they are not more entertaining.

I missed this one. Did youo see the Buffalo game? Very entertaining.

There have been some duds this year, like the first L.A. game. But there have been a lot of really exciting games this year. I guess we're hit or miss under MSL, with this presently shitty in the process of rebuilding roster.

I enjoy a loss when the young guys play well. But in this one, in the few minutes I saw, Struble was a turnover machine.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Cole Cawful :(
Ahhhhh HF….your reputation perceives you

1702284303948.jpeg

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I stopped watching after the first. The team had no legs in the first. Every player looked exhausted. Usually a sign of a bad game.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I stopped watching after the first. The team had no legs in the first. Every player looked exhausted. Usually a sign of a bad game.
Not really surprising playing on a back to back after the pace of the Buffalo game.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I actually found that the habs started the game well and were looking good until the penalty brigade took over and the momentum stopped

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I remember when some of you believed Caufield was a 1st line 40 goal scorer who was better than Suzuki.
The jig is up. Keep him to the perimeter and he’s essentially useless. Gonna have a worse career than skinner

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Calm down, it's almost certainly just a slump.
Why? Why is it almost certainly a slump.

I don’t see it. Same player doing the same thing. Except now we have no system to make him play better and teams know all he does is shoot from the dumbest angles.

Can’t play with any pace if we can’t even establish transition or proper defensive structure. It’s mostly on the coach. Seriously this is the most unlikable group, starting from the coach. No identify, no accountability, simply not built to WIN

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Why? Why is it almost certainly a slump.

I don’t see it. Same player doing the same thing. Except now we have no system to make him play better and teams know all he does is shoot from the dumbest angles.

Can’t play with any pace if we can’t even establish transition or proper defensive structure. It’s mostly on the coach. Seriously this is the most unlikable group, starting from the coach. No identify, no accountability, simply not built to WIN
He's shooting half his carreer shooting%, that's why it's a slump.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Calm down, it's almost certainly just a slump.
The reason why PPG is a useful guideline is because it implies a player who is PPG won't go on long slumps, that they'll readily and consistently be on the scoresheet. I think highly of Caufield and consider him our most valuable player but 7g in 28gp is not sufficient nor is his 2g4a in his last 15gp. It's because of these slumps that the Habs are not further along the rebuild. Immature players, inexperienced players, and under-productive players make-up the roster of not-competitive teams. He's paid a lot to produce, it's not like he brings much else to the table.

20pts in 28gp is a sub c.58pt pace... before the season we had fans speculating if he would hit 50 goals not 58pts. It's certainly a slump and he was firing shots to break it against Buffalo so let's hope this slump ends soon and we see what is meant to be the real Caufield soon.

I still think he has a lot of talent and will not disappoint but we all expected a lot more than this. Even the inexplicable Hughes-can-do-no-wrong contingent has to admit Caufield has not lived up to the contract.

He's shooting half his carreer shooting%, that's why it's a slump.
Correct. He is definitely under-productive from a sh% standpoint. We've seen snipers in the NHL go through these every year, all the time.

You can't really build a team off the back of a sniper. PMD and C, yes. Goalie, yes. Play-driving W like Ovechkin or Kane... sure. Sniper W, not really.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
They need to sell and get the best pick possible this year. Things aren’t going to improve going forward. No sense getting a worse pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad