No Name Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

I'm assuming you're talking about the namebars on Canada's uniforms tonight.

Canada was wearing a vintage jersey tonight. It was the jersey that the Winnipeg Falcons wore in 1920 when they represented Canada. Those uniforms did not feature names, thus Team Canada did not put names on their vintage jerseys.

Oil_slick9416*

I am just totally ashamed, those Jersey were AWEFUL. But it was a good game!.

But ya, i didn't have trouble picking out whos who.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Oil_slick9416 said:
I am just totally ashamed, those Jersey were AWEFUL. But it was a good game!.

But ya, i didn't have trouble picking out whos who.

I thought it was great, good display of our rich hockey history. A nice surprise.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
When I saw team Canada jump on the ice I was about to ask what the Nashville Predators were doing there... then I was like "Oh wait, this is Team Canada..."

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
it's cool that they decided to wear vintage jerseys like that, but PICK A JERSEY THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT CAME OUT OF GRETZKY'S ASS!!

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
Fulcrum said:
kinda like the NY yankees
lol, WTF are you talking about the Yankees for? The pinstripes aren't ugly or anything.

(I thought the jersey idea was great. not something a person would have around for more then one game, IMO. but great for that one game!)

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
thome_26 said:
lol, WTF are you talking about the Yankees for? The pinstripes aren't ugly or anything.

(I thought the jersey idea was great. not something a person would have around for more then one game, IMO. but great for that one game!)
Yankees dont write their names at the back either.

BCCHL inactive

MOGiLNY said:
it's cool that they decided to wear vintage jerseys like that, but PICK A JERSEY THAT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE IT CAME OUT OF GRETZKY'S ASS!!

For god sakes, it isn't about what the jersey looks like. It is about the history. The Winnipeg Falcons won Canada's first ever Olympic hockey gold medal in 1920, ironically at the first Winter Olympics in Belgium. Team Canada was wearing the Falcons' uniforms tonight.

...And they must not be that ugly. They are selling very well.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
They are ugly, very ugly. Bring back the good ole white/red jerseys.

The namebar thing was a nice touch though, I do not need to see their names to know who is who, and it gives you an idea of a united team. But the jersey has to go. Yeah I know it's about your hockey history and everything but stop living in the past and make new history with new shirts on rather than hanging on to past.

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
It's not about "living in the past" or "hanging on to past." It was about honouring a team who deserved it, and had unfortunately been overlooked before. Anyone who knows the whole story most likely appreciates the huge gesture that Team Canada made last night.

As for the lack of names on the back, it was so that the Yankees didn't know who was who. ;)

"Number 66? Who's that? I'm supposed to be on Lemieux, where is he?" :joker:

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Other Dave said:
Awesome jerseys, fantastic gesture.

I think it says a lot when a team full of stars all agree to wear the name of their country instead of thier own name on their backs.

Or on the flip side you could say that they didn't want their names at all associated with those sewage yellow jerseys. :D

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I was at the meeting when it was decided they were going to wear the uniforms. They did it for Bob Cole and, especially, Harry Neale. Without any Leaf players out there it was assumed they were going to mess up the names. So, to make things easier it was decided to just call everyone "Canada". There's no way to screw that up.

"And Roberts is carrying the puck up the left wing, he shoots, OOOHHHHHH what a lucky save by...by...."

vs

"And Canada is carrying the puck up the left wing, he shoots and OOOHHHHHHH, what a save by Esche...and he holds on for a face off!"

Insert Neale making a pointless comment about Belfour in this 2004 World Cup: "There was some discussion going into this Canada Cup that Ed Belfour was going to challenge Marvin Brodeur for the #1 position in net but a back problem helped Pat Quinn make a tough decision a little easier. Belfour, the consummate professional, has given his blessing for Brodure to Quinn and that surely made Quinn feel a little less guilty about selecting Broduere over Eddie the Great...(sniff..sniff)."

Cole, sobbing, says: "Cut to commercial... cut to commercial..!"

criminaldrp

Aug 5, 2004
Montreal
I was shocked at first, but ended up really liking the jerseys, although it's still not the same as the red and white.

And I was really moved by the lack of player names: I found it was a great display of team spirit.
It really gave you the impression Team Canada was playing, not just a bunch of competing superstars united on the same team for a few weeks.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad