Player Discussion No love for Caleb Jones

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don’t know, seems Jones got outplayed by other d men

he still might be a good pro, but how much time does he get to refine his game in actual games if others are playing better than him

you can’t waive him

can you play him ahead of lagesson because he might be better than lagesson after another 29 games? Not sure the oilers can take that route

having said that, I am all for him becoming a regular d man on this team, I am not sure how that happens at this point

Petry? C'mon. Try Brad Hunt or Oesterle at best

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Sorry. I meant to reply to @Paralyzer008 .

Ah.

Both undrafted guys, one who plays forward half the time and the other who has carved out a decent career in Arizona who seems to get better with age?

Caleb Jones is higher pedigree and considering where Oesterle is at, that's quite promising.

My biggest issue with Jones is probably off the ice.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Not to many 4th round picks become top4 or even top 6 dmen.

Jones will be in a uphill battle all his career, the same can be said for Bear to be honest.

As our D gets better, players that arent as skilled will be pushed out.

Bouchard, Barrie, Nurse, Broberg where we going to have room for NHL tweeners in the top 4?

But I feel it depends on their play if theyveill be top 4 D men, not draftposition. That would be stupid

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Ah.

Both undrafted guys, one who plays forward half the time and the other who has carved out a decent career in Arizona who seems to get better with age?

Caleb Jones is higher pedigree and considering where Oesterle is at, that's quite promising.

My biggest issue with Jones is probably off the ice.

Wht is this about?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
He doesn’t like what he says on Twitter I’d guess.

I went to twitter and saw the video of Connor telling Jones to get off the ice on the PP.

EDIT: You see this with some players trying to sneak a shift on the PP or sneak onto Connor's line for a bit.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm confident that this guy is playing his last games as an Edmonton Oiler. Not a bad player by any means, but just isn't buying into the program. He's not willing to pay the price physically and as a depth defenseman, that's a ticket to the pressbox.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm confident that this guy is playing his last games as an Edmonton Oiler. Not a bad player by any means, but just isn't buying into the program. He's not willing to pay the price physically and as a depth defenseman, that's a ticket to the pressbox.
I had to laugh when Tippett was asked about him a few days ago and the best he could come up with was describing Jones as an "agile defenseman."

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Bouchard should take his ice. Tip is not icing the strongest lineup. Kosco may be replaced by Stalock.

Reactions: frag2

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Caleb Jones:

He didn't block a shot vs Matthews and now he's probably done as an Oiler.

Getting the sense this will be the Petry situation to a lesser degree when either he's waived or traded or let go to Seattle. He'll make us look bad somewhere else.

He's as good as gone with Tippett.
We need someone to be taken in the exp. draft. Keep him and let him be exposed.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
We need someone to be taken in the exp. draft. Keep him and let him be exposed.

Thinking our best expansion draft move would be giving Seattle a good prospect to take a salary, like Koskinen or Neal. Broberg hasn’t advanced as far as he should have in a second SEL year, and is at least an AHL year or two away from showing at the NHL level, but that may be too much.

Jones still has some cachet in a hockey trade if he can’t shake the second year downturn and become a bottom pair D at a lower salary.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Thinking our best expansion draft move would be giving Seattle a good prospect to take a salary, like Koskinen or Neal. Broberg hasn’t advanced as far as he should have in a second SEL year, and is at least an AHL year or two away from showing at the NHL level, but that may be too much.

Jones still has some cachet in a hockey trade if he can’t shake the second year downturn and become a bottom pair D at a lower salary.

Its the cost of a first. I dont know if Jones equals a first?

Im think Koskinen is tradeable with retaining. Neal not so much.

Or trade Neal with 50% reatin and Koskinen for a better player - worse contract

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I had to laugh when Tippett was asked about him a few days ago and the best he could come up with was describing Jones as an "agile defenseman."
Lol when he said that I was like yeh that’s like the one thing I could say about his game, he’s pretty agile out there. Agile would turn into dynamic if he could actually complete simple plays but he can’t.

Reactions: Cloned

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Does he? When guys like Dunn and Mete have been out there all season on the market, I struggle to see the potential value of a limited upside bottom pair defenseman.

Like a number of our defensemen in the past, the only saving grace is a set of healthy underlying stats. I hope people are beginning to see the trend.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
It's not his physical play or shot blocking ability that scares me; it's his overall lack of defensive IQ and decision making.
In the d-zone, he looks like he loses his man before the play starts to form and is always a full second behind. Also, he has had a penchant to make very odd plays continually, including slow moving backhands that get picked off all the time in the NZ or centre.

Last edited:
Reactions: NeverForget06

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad