No Hawks jerseys in Toronto schools? Just an FYI for fans here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber

Dec 31, 2014
Does anyone here really give a %&^ whether Toronto school kids wear Blackhawks gear to school?

Research FSU Seminoles on how another big time sports organization honors and co-exists with Native American culture.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
huh? people aren't wearing this logo to try and offend/discriminate against aboriginals, they simply are sporting a professional hockey teams logo. If people have such an issue with the logo why dont they lobby to try and change the logo, and not ban the paraphernalia which the fans wear, that wont do anything.

That's an issue I have as well. Wearing Blackhawks apparel isn't saying I like or dislike First Nations people. It's not mocking or revering them. It's to show support for a team. If the Blackhawks logo was different, I'd still wear it.

Our society is becoming more and more indulgent to the few and disregarding the many. People are trying harder than ever to be offended by things, and to "inform" the rest of the world why they should be offended/take offence to things.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Does anyone here really give a %&^ whether Toronto school kids wear Blackhawks gear to school?

Research FSU Seminoles on how another big time sports organization honors and co-exists with Native American culture.

exactly. I went there. The Seminoles LOVE the Seminoles lol

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
That's an issue I have as well. Wearing Blackhawks apparel isn't saying I like or dislike First Nations people. It's not mocking or revering them. It's to show support for a team. If the Blackhawks logo was different, I'd still wear it.

Our society is becoming more and more indulgent to the few and disregarding the many. People are trying harder than ever to be offended by things, and to "inform" the rest of the world why they should be offended/take offence to things.

Even if you were saying that you dislike-insert group-, so what?

In the USA we are supposed to have that freedom, that's why it is the 1st Amendment of The Constitution.

There is a segment of society now that thinks anything offensive or mean should be illegal. Effin' idiots.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
The "Indian head" isn't going anywhere any time soon. And I'm fine with that, until we get enough people asking for us to change it.

When you say 'enough people' do you mean the natives who have been aware of the logo for 80 years and barely give a crap or just a bunch of people with white guilt

Because **** the latter group of people

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
If the do end up switching to a black hawk, I hope they make it real basic and nothing like that image that's been floating around.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Even if you were saying that you dislike-insert group-, so what?

In the USA we are supposed to have that freedom, that's why it is the 1st Amendment of The Constitution.

There is a segment of society now that thinks anything offensive or mean should be illegal. Effin' idiots.

Not sure who's saying it should be "illegal" which is what the Constitution protects.

And yes, you do have freedom of speech and people have the right to be bigots, but everyone else has the right to judge what is said and hold each other accountable for it.

Maybe back in your day, it was acceptable to openly proclaim that you "dislike -insert group-, but times have changed and we're talking about schools here, not the barbershop or factory floor where the good 'ol boys get together to proclaim which group(s) they dislike.

Do I think my own school district has gone too far by banning team apparel based on this?

Of course.

Do I care enough for it to ruin my day?

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad