No Fedorov at the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Sotnos said:
Good. More players should show this kind of commitment to the people paying their salaries.

There are things that are priceless, and things that are for sale. You'd rather everything fell into the 2nd category. Bravo. :clap:

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I think you people are overreacting a little bit. I for one think that Fedorov's decision is positive, and the same can be said about Zubov and Mogilny.

The 3 of them are the last Russian players from the times of the Soviet Union, and I think that's what the problem always was with them. They had to defect in the late 80's early 90's, and this is exactly the reason why they've showed so much reluctancy to play for the National team during their respective careers.

The next wave of Russian players, such as Kovalev and Yashin, have only represented Russia at the international stage, and at the exception of Khabibulin, are glad to represent their country every time. The new generation (Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc.) is showing a lot more patriotism, and desire to win. The success of the Russian team is in their hands. Not Fedorov's or Zubov's.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mr Kanadensisk said:
Even with all of Russia's top players, I would still put them around 5th behind Canada, Czech R., Sweden and Finland. Maybe if they had a better shot at winning more of their guys would want to play.
As a fan it sucks that the Russian's do this every year, but I'm used to it now.

It's interesting that generally all of the top players from Canada, Sweden, Finland and the USA want to play, whereas Russia (Federov, Zubov, Mogilny), Slovakia (Palfy), and the Czech Republic (Holik, Nedved) always have players decline.

Players like Nedved and Holik are citizens of other countries (Canada and the U.S. respectfully) and are inelligable to participate in the Olympics.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
arrbez said:
I thought I knew you, man. It used to be about the music...
:huh:

roshiajin said:
There are things that are priceless, and things that are for sale. You'd rather everything fell into the 2nd category. Bravo.
Uh, whatever. If you are not a member of the ticket buying public for an NHL team, I don't expect you to understand.

What kind of message would it send to the Blue Jackets (who are not exactly paying the man chicken feed) if he took time off from playing for them to rest up for the Olympics instead of helping his team down the stretch? If the choice needs to be made, which I guess he thinks it did, about when to take a rest, he made the right one.

It's a shame this crap always seems to happen with Team Russia, but what can you do?

Ronald Pagan

Feb 8, 2005
This is more of a pre-emptive strike than anything. Federov must have realized that his chances of making the team were slim due to poor to terrible play this season and thus, decided that he would avoid that embarrassment by helping the embarrassing Blue Jackets become a little less embarrassing.

Good move Sergei.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Rabid Ranger said:
Players like Nedved and Holik are citizens of other countries (Canada and the U.S. respectfully) and are inelligable to participate in the Olympics.
My understanding is that they are both dual citizens. Nedved played for Canada in Lillehammar, so you are right that he is likely no longer eligible to play for the Czech's. Holik has never played for anyone other than the Czech's, and he is still a citizen, so if he wanted to play for them he could.
When Ulf Samuelsson was ruled ineligible in Nagano, it was because at the time Sweden did not allow dual citizens, and by default he lost his Swedish nationality when he became a US citizen. He claimed he was not aware of this rule, and Sweden has since changed its laws to allow dual citizens.

As Nabokov did with Russia, if Nedved really wanted to play for the Czech's he could appeal his status.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Sotnos said:
:huh:

Uh, whatever. If you are not a member of the ticket buying public for an NHL team, I don't expect you to understand.

What kind of message would it send to the Blue Jackets (who are not exactly paying the man chicken feed) if he took time off from playing for them to rest up for the Olympics instead of helping his team down the stretch? If the choice needs to be made, which I guess he thinks it did, about when to take a rest, he made the right one.

It's a shame this crap always seems to happen with Team Russia, but what can you do?

So you're the guy who bought tickets to see Columbus. We wouldn't want to disappoint the army of Blue Jackets fans!

Matt Foley*

Mr Kanadensisk said:
So you're the guy who bought tickets to see Columbus. We wouldn't want to disappoint the army of Blue Jackets fans!

Columbus has good home attendance, in spite of their team's lack of success on the ice. Are you aware of that fact, or was your comment made to just be a ****?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Mr Kanadensisk said:
First off, what in my avatar or location would make you think I'm a Blue Jackets fan?

Secondly, if that pathetic remark was about Columbus' attendance, you don't have much of a clue about their attendance figures.

Try again :shakehead

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Sotnos said:
First off, what in my avatar or location would make you think I'm a Blue Jackets fan?

Secondly, if that pathetic remark was about Columbus' attendance, you don't have much of a clue about their attendance figures.

Try again :shakehead

The NHL would be better off without Columbus, Tampa Bay, and about 10 other teams for that matter. Expansion has watered down the product! For that reason I am looking forward to Turin, as the talent level will be excellent.
As far as my comment about the attendance in Columbus, let's see where they are in a few years, when the novelty of having an NHL team us gone.

I remember when Messier missed a Rangers game to play in the Oilers old timers game. Some people got so bent out of shape about him missing one game. It wasn't fair to the N.Y. fans, it wasn't fair to his teammates,...... Give me a break!
It's not like he was sitting at home eating popcorn that night.

So what if Federov was to miss a few regular season games to rest up for the Olympics. As far as exposure goes, one Olympic game is worth ten CBJ regular season games. Maybe a few Blue Jackets fans would have even tuned in to see Sergei play for Russia.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
I don't understand what is that about having rest before Olympics. None of the coaches will allowe any of the players to miss the games and rest for the Olympics. He could play in Torino and not miss one Columbus game.

Fedorov's decision is not about wanting to play for Columbus, it is about not wanting to play for Russia!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Mr Kanadensisk said:
Even with all of Russia's top players, I would still put them around 5th behind Canada, Czech R., Sweden and Finland. Maybe if they had a better shot at winning more of their guys would want to play.
As a fan it sucks that the Russian's do this every year, but I'm used to it now.

It's interesting that generally all of the top players from Canada, Sweden, Finland and the USA want to play, whereas Russia (Federov, Zubov, Mogilny), Slovakia (Palfy), and the Czech Republic (Holik, Nedved) always have players decline.

Ironically, the latter countries have had some very unfavorable human rights conditions in the recent past. Go figure. :sarcasm:

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
No one at this thread knows what the hell they are talking about. Fedorov is still Russias best center. And still the most dominating players on the ice in NHL. Problem is the coaches knows he´s so good and he has always been pressed by the coaches to take so many roles and cover so many departments it´s too much for him and disturbing his effort. This year injuries have plagued him, but he´ll pace up.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Lindros_for_rizzle_ said:
No one at this thread knows what the hell they are talking about. Fedorov is still Russias best center. And still the most dominating players on the ice in NHL. Problem is the coaches knows he´s so good and he has always been pressed by the coaches to take so many roles and cover so many departments it´s too much for him and disturbing his effort. This year injuries have plagued him, but he´ll pace up.

I agree, Fedorov's effort is disturbing.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Lindros_for_rizzle_ said:

No man, Fedorov has been overrated like this for nearly a decade now.

He can be dominating, but he usually isn't. He hasn't been an offensive superstar since the mid-90's, and the Selke's he won a decade ago have really carried this idea of him being a defensive dynamo still.

He may still have all the talent in the world, but I havn't seen it from him on a regular basis in years

(I realize this sounds harsh, but his Golden Boy status on these boards has been driving me nuts. Although I think that's changing now)

Last edited:

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Mr Kanadensisk said:
The NHL would be better off without Columbus, Tampa Bay, and about 10 other teams for that matter. Expansion has watered down the product!
The Business board is over here, lots of contraction threads for you to spew such garbage in.

I'm glad you're such a knowledgeable fan that you think the NHL would be better off without the defending Cup champs. :shakehead

Can't believe all the ridiculous comments in this thread about the mafia are being allowed. It's not a particularly funny joke.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Reports circulating that Samsonov declined to play due to health concerns.

That makes: Malakhov, Zubov, Federov, Mogilny, Samsonov who officially declined in that order.

Also Slava Kozlov and ?Yusekvich? who weren't added to the long list because they probably wouldn't have played.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Sotnos said:
The Business board is over here, lots of contraction threads for you to spew such garbage in.

I'm glad you're such a knowledgeable fan that you think the NHL would be better off without the defending Cup champs. :shakehead

Can't believe all the ridiculous comments in this thread about the mafia are being allowed. It's not a particularly funny joke.

I think we may have to agree to disagree. Obviously Tampa is packed with stars that would make it in any sized league. I just don't feel Tampa Bay will prove to be a viable long term market, and thus having a franchise there waters down the talent for the rest of the league.

As a knowledgeable fan you know that the Russian Mob has been a huge problem for Russian NHLers, extorting and threatening their family members back home. I don't doubt that the Mob is a major reason some of these players don't want to play for their country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad