Confirmed Trade: [NJD/TOR] Sergey Kalinin for Viktor Loov

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Kalinin a capable NHL center with size good pick up for leafs.

He's terrible at faceoffs and couldn't cut it as our 4th line center, so "capable NHL center" is a big stretch. Probably fine as a 7-8 minute a night winger.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marlies needed better center depth, especially if they recall Gauthier at some point in the near future. I doubt we'll see Kalinin play a game with the Leafs this season. I'd be shocked actually.

Loov was expendable with Dermott and Nielsen playing very well in their rookie season.

I think Loov has potential to be a decent depth defender. Not much offense but he plays a physical game and skates really well. He's proned to a lot of bad turnovers though.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's terrible at faceoffs and couldn't cut it as our 4th line center, so "capable NHL center" is a big stretch. Probably fine as a 7-8 minute a night winger.
Played 2 years in the league that's capable but don't matter expect the dishing of a player from said teams fans after he is moved. They're always garbage once moved

Nizar

Mar 4, 2013
This trade is still better than player x for "future considerations". Blockbuster is not expected at the trade line anyway.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I don't expect much and he was expendable based on the other D we have coming up, but I have always liked Loov.
Best of luck to him. Hopefully he can crack bottom pair in Jersey.

Kalinin is interesting just in that we have tonnes of depth forwards already.
I imagine they did not claim him yesterday 1) due to contract numbers and 2) because now that he has cleared he can go to the Marlies if wanted.

We have enough forwards in the NHL. Maybe he can nudge out Ben Smith for a spot, but if not and we send him down to the Marlies, he's going to have to steal ice time from other vets like Greening, Laich, Cliche, Michalek (inj?), and Clune, or really outplay Froese, Smith, Findlay, Cameranesi, or Gauthier (not the hardest bunch to beat but still).

Anyway. Not a bad trade for either. Nor a gamechanger.
I do like Kalinin, but just a little curious what Dubas/Lou's reasoning was for it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Played 2 years in the league that's capable but don't matter expect the dishing of a player from said teams fans after he is moved. They're always garbage once moved

Feel free to go back and read Devils gameday threads, he been getting crapped on constantly for being terrible.

Can play as a 4th line NHL winger, not good enough to be a center.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
This is like that time the entire cruise ship passenger list rushed to the port side of the ship to see the water skiing humpback whales....

Only it turned out to be a plastic bottle.

And then the boat turned over. If only the internet could turn over. :sarcasm:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Devils probably made out a bit better on this deal. Loov is a decent defenseman. Can be a 6 - 7 on a good team. He likes to throw big hits and is pretty smart with the puck.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Good for Loov. He deservers a chance on the 3rd pairing. 170 AHL games and almost no NHL games. Chance for him to see if it works out with a new team, if not go back to Europe.

Kalinin is not an NHL player, i still don't know why the Devils signed him.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Good for Loov. He deservers a chance on the 3rd pairing. 170 AHL games and almost no NHL games. Chance for him to see if it works out with a new team, if not go back to Europe.

Kalinin is not an NHL player, i still don't know why the Devils signed him.

He showed flashes of being a quality 3rd liner last year, but was never able to sustain it. I envisioned him being good for 30 points and a solid 3rd line forward, but he didn't even come close to that.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Kalinin could be a decent 4th liner on toronto, we are more offensive team, he had 15 points last year, he could put 20-30 playing with sosh or something.

as for loov i think he can hack it as a 6th dman maybe even a 5th.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Kalinin was not a Lou signing, he was actually the first player Shero signed as GM of the Devils.

Doesn't matter.

Its already been stated that Kalinin's offer was already in the pipeline when he was finally signed. They were scouting him well before Shero came on board (Kalinin signed 5/29/15, Shero hired 5/4).

Last edited:

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
This trade is a prelude for the Devils to trade Quincey for a draft pick.

Its a not a prelude of anything. Quincey is likely getting moved or at least shopped for that whether or not this deal happens. Loov is Albany bound.

One doesn't have to happen for the other to.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He skates like he's wearing ankle weights. Maybe he just likes to get a workout during the game.
He is so bad the worst player ever to touch the ice in any league gm's felt so bad for him they let him play in over 100 NHL games just out of pity .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad