Confirmed Trade: [NJD/SJS]Mirco Mueller & 5th round pick for 2nd round pick & 4th round pick

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
As a neutral fan I am confused. However, this is an indicator of the d market.

'tanev is worth a second at best' folks, I'm looking at you.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just referring that Detroit won that one hands down, Considering that Mantha could become a very elite player. He should be good for at least 30/30 any ways.

Right, but you don't have to be an ass about it.:shakehead

(I'd pump the breaks on "could be a very elite player, good for 30-30 at least".)

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
People are like LOL OMG AMAZING DEAL FOR SJ HAHAHA YES LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL DEVILS.

Mueller was a first round pick. You guys realize a former first round pick is still better than a mid-late second round pick?

Or is math just too hard to comprehend?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
People are like LOL OMG AMAZING DEAL FOR SJ HAHAHA YES LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL DEVILS.

Mueller was a first round pick. You guys realize a former first round pick is still better than a mid-late second round pick?

Or is math just too hard to comprehend?

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Such is HFBoards.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Muller won't be 23 until the end of next season. I don't know what he was like the AHL last year but it would be tough for many 21 year old D to make the sharks with that depth. We all know D take longer to develop. If he was 24 at the beginning of last season I would have a problem with it. I hope it was just a case of no room for him. But here is my problem.....
If it means that now Moore and Merril have to be exposed and he is just an upgrade to them, then I think it was a bad move.
You lose one of Merrill or Moore but keep Mueller. For a second.? Why
pre trade
Situation 1. Keep Greene, Severson, one of Merrill or Moore.
Situation 2. Keep all four of those. and go 8-1
Post trade
3. Greene Severson Mueller, expose Merrill Moore
4. Greene Severson Mueller and one of Moore or Merril. Expose one of Merril or Moore. 8-1
This is looking like NJ just paid a 2nd to upgrade from Merril or Moore to Mueller. Absolutley terrible. Am I wrong?

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Muller won't be 23 until the end of next season. I don't know what he was like the AHL last year but it would be tough for many 21 year old D to make the sharks with that depth. We all know D take longer to develop. If he was 24 at the beginning of last season I would have a problem with it. I hope it was just a case of no room for him. But here is my problem.....
If it means that now Moore and Merril have to be exposed and he is just an upgrade to them, then I think it was a bad move.
pre trade
Post trade
4. Greene Severson Mueller and one of Moore or Merril. Expose one of Merril or Moore. 8-1
This is looking like NJ just paid a 2nd to upgrade from Merril or Moore to Mueller. Absolutley terrible. Am I wrong?

Very wrong. A 2nd in a weak draft for a 22 year old LD on a team that needs a bit more depth for the left side isn't a bad move. Especially when that pick might not even be ready in the next few years.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Very wrong. A 2nd in a weak draft for a 22 year old LD on a team that needs a bit more depth for the left side isn't a bad move. Especially when that pick might not even be ready in the next few years.
That I understand. A second for Mueller I am okay with. But it would mean that they lose one of Merril or Moore who are probably the same calibre when they could've been protected.

So I am going to assume this happens.
Before trade.
Jersey keeps Greene, Severson, Merrill and Moore. Keep 2nd.
After trade.
Keep. greene Severson, Mueller and one of Merril or Moore. Potentially lose one of Merrill or Moore.
So you are giving a second and one of Moore or Merril for Mueller. Horrible asset management. Someone enlighten me on how that is a good trade?

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
**** EM BOYS!!!

hv8EbSK.png

NJRockinRoller

May 14, 2014
pre trade
Post trade

No, not wrong

whlscowt

Sharks have been drafting pretty badly in recent years

Their drafting has been solid in the later rounds and Goldobin and Meier look good; they've accrued some great prospects. It's a lot better than it was 7+ years back. The one thing about the Sharks is they always seem to pick up these great finds later on. It's what has kept them afloat. Even some of their older/later picks like Kuraly are starting to do some stuff and look like players. They aren't an elite drafting organization, but they are one of the better ones in the later rounds.

This pick was a definite miss, especially since they traded up for Mueller, but what we've learned from this situation is Mueller just didn't have the confidence, on or off the ice to be an NHL player.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Who's being an ass about it? Just stating fact here Mantha is easily 30/30 player maybe even a 35/35 player with the right setup man.

How is coming in to brag about how bad the Sharks drafted and how great the player you have not being an ass? It's completely irrelevant and the only reason to say it is to make Sharks fans feel bad.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Sharks have been drafting pretty badly in recent years

Depends on what you mean by recent. They did well in 2012 with Hertl, Tierney, O'Reagan, and Ryan (plus Lalancette and Watson). 2013 doesn't look good. 2014 was ok given where they drafted but their big mistake was trading #20 OA to Chicago instead of drafting Fabbri. It would have been even better if they'd drafted Pastrnak there but only a few Sharks fans that I know of wanted Pastrnak, whereas many wanted to keep #20 and draft Fabbri instead of trading down. Still, Goldobin looks like a reasonable pick at 27. Overall, it seems like a good year for our drafting with LaBanc (6th round) playing in the NHL last season and Bergman, Schoenborn, and Chartier playing on the Barracuda and Sadowy playing for the Griffins.

2015 is still too early to tell but most Sharks fans weren't happy that they drafted Meier. Part of that was disappointment that we just missed out on Werenski but most of it was that ppl wanted either Ratnanen, Barzal, or another player instead. We'll have to see how that plays out. We were happy with Roy in the 2nd round but then he was injured so it hasn't worked out so far but I don't think the drafting was bad there.

The main criticism I have is that the Sharks often are too conservative in the early rounds IMO. I.e., they tend to go for large players with a higher floor than smaller players with a lower floor but higher ceiling. But, in evaluating their drafting, you need to consider that they rarely have a pick in the top 10 and when they do, it's often bc they traded up (e.g., Couture). So, overall, their first and second round picks are going to be below average bc that's where they're picking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad