Confirmed Trade: [NJD / OTT] Brandon Gormley for Future considerations

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I remember when everyone knew we were taking Gormley in that draft - to the point that the Columbus Dispatch article that announced Johansen was drafted had "Gormley Is The Pick" as its headline.

Wow.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The roster numbers go up after the deadline so Jokipakka will stay on there for now. Remember also that he cleared waivers prior to the trade so can be freely shuffled up and down between Bingo/Ottawa as needed until the end of March.

Jokipakka cannot be sent to Binghamton this season. After the trade deadline, only players recalled from loan during that period (along with some players who were injured while on recall at the deadline) can be loaned to the minors. Jokipakka was on an NHL roster at the deadline and cannot be loaned.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
The Devils better got something for him. Otherwise, he would've been more useful for a Calder Cup run.

Eh, this is small potatoes. Severson, Santini etc. will all be joining Albany eventually. Future Considerations mean exactly that, we'll get something for him in the future. We didn't get anything for him now. If this is a case of Gormley needing to go back to Canada for family or some other personal reason, its perfectly fine to do this.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I guess that answers the question of how soon can you make a trade after the trade deadline

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Gormley and Visetin.....Coyotes answer to 2 first round picks in the 2010 NHL Draft. What in the Tarasenko were they thinking?!?!

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Jokipakka cannot be sent to Binghamton this season. After the trade deadline, only players recalled from loan during that period (along with some players who were injured while on recall at the deadline) can be loaned to the minors. Jokipakka was on an NHL roster at the deadline and cannot be loaned.

So he was waived but not assigned by Calgary? Cool - thanks. Either way, he's Ottawa's 8th defensemen for now.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Such a shame.....Gormley was one of the best D men I got to see in the Q league. It just never clicked at the next level....weird how that happens sometimes

He'll go to Europe and do well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yes Gormley is a head-scratcher....13th overall in the 2010 draft to Phoenix....just goes to show, it's hard to judge junior d-men I guess....tops out at the AHL and then on to Europe most likely.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Too good for AHL, not good enough for NHL.

My understanding is that he can't play in the playoffs because he was traded after the deadline?

I doubt he gets re-signed, but who knows. B-Sens need help. Team is struggling, badly.

Was never too good for the AHL, but did have some solid AHL seasons that suggested he might have a good NHL career ahead of him.

I think the biggest thing holding him back is that he never showed the ability to successfully process the game at NHL speeds. At this age and point in his career it's unlikely he's ever going to overcome that.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Was never too good for the AHL, but did have some solid AHL seasons that suggested he might have a good NHL career ahead of him.

I think the biggest thing holding him back is that he never showed the ability to successfully process the game at NHL speeds. At this age and point in his career it's unlikely he's ever going to overcome that.

His brain could process it, he couldn't move his feet quick enough, or handle the physicality.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Seems like no one expects him to turn his game around and potentially try out under Boucher's system. I must admit not knowing much about this guy makes me blind here, but we've seen players change their careers in a big way whether its positive or negative.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Dubbed the "best defenceman out of the Maritimes since Al MacInnis" when he was drafted in to Q.

Had a good junior career. Seemed to be good at everything but great at nothing type player.

To be fair, he's not that far off from being the best.. Maritimes aren't exactly known for their Dmen.. McQuaid and MacDonald, being the only 2 Dmen from the Maritimes in the NHL right now. Gormley probably slots in 3rd after them...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What happened to Gormleys development? Just never was as good as believed?

He was a heck of a defender in junior, watched him live, playing for the Wildcats probably half dozen games, I guess going to play for the 'Yotes killed his development.

I think it was a smart pickup by the Sens.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think two things happened.

1. He doesn't process the game at a high end level. I think he has the intelligence for a bottom four role, but his ability to read the game is pretty average for an NHL defenseman.

2. He never really developed physically. He is a beanpole and loses tons of physical battles. His skating is okay, but he's not really good at any skating aspect at the NHL level.

If Gormley was able to put on some weight and thus win more battles/be better against a forecheck I think he'd be a pretty good bottom four option, as he doesn't make a ton of mistakes and has some decent skill in transition.

Right now I think Gormley is a guy who really only makes sense as a bottom pairing guy/seventh defender if you have him matched with a physical defender next to him.

Suspect he would be quite good in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad