Confirmed Trade: [NJD/MTL] Jake Allen (50% retained) for 2025 cond. 2nd/3rd round pick

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
.892 save % with better defense in front of him. I can't comprehend.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I don't see how Allen is any better than Raanta, especially considering Allen has another year left on his contract. Even with Montreal retaining 50%, this clearly isn't the solution, or at least any better solution than just picking up Raanta off waivers.

Reactions: pouf pouf

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
chipmunk-scream.gif

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
With better structure in front of him, I do think Allen rebounds some. I also think the 3-goalie system impacted him the most. He wasn't able to seize the net from Monty.

That said, on a day that's been a buyer's market, the ability to get a potential 2nd for him is outstanding. Waiting to see if there's salary retention. I kinda think there'd have to be ---- 50% retained.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I defended the Toffoli trade. HE got what he could. But this is non-sense. Now you have two below average goalies making $4m next year. What a horrible trade by Fitz

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Hughes continues to surprise me, might be minor things when looking at the bigger picture but I thought we’d get a 2nd for Monahan and be lucky to get a 4th for Allen from a desperate GM. I guess it’s a weaker draft but damn…

Edit: Just saw the retention so it makes more sense. I guess it’s a low risk gamble for the Devils but Allen isn’t a starting goalie for a Stanley Cup winning team. They would have been better off just addressing their goaltending issues in the offseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad