Speculation: NJD done making moves?

NJDfan23

Jan 18, 2016
NJ
Personally I am really excited about the moves Ray Shero has made for the Devils so far. Adding Hall was huge and I LOVE the deal Palmieri just signed. He basically stole from the Ducks for nothing. My question is do we believe the Devils are done making big moves or is anyone hearing that they still have another trade in the works? Not sure why but I feel like Shero is still working the phones for a top 4 D.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I think he'll be talking with St. Louis all summer (or until he's traded somewhere else) about Shattenkirk, but unless he can pull off another miracle the asking price will be too much.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
They need to sign more depth. They could use both a couple defenseman and a couple forwards. Should look to add Hudler cheap. NJ likes signing Calgary FAs (Cammy, Stempniak, Schlemko).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Cammy + 2nd (boston or new Jersey) for Gaborik + king

I offer this just to make my autographed kings Cammalleri worth more to me

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
From what Shero said in his conference call today I think we might be done. He said it's important to have some competition for the young guys, and contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, we do have a lot of those.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I think as far as the forwards are concerned, probably. Though as it stands one of Josefson or Kalinin will have to play 3rd line C instead of 4th line wing, which isn't ideal. But almost every single forward they have is either a recent acquisition/signing (Josefson, Kalinin, Fiddler, DSP, Bennett, Hall), or probably not going anywhere (Henrique, Palmieri, Zajac, Cammalleri). Counting Boucher, Blandisi, and Zacha, that's 13 forwards already. Blandisi probably starts in the AHL and Zacha may or may not make the team, but I suspect he will. Not much room for any more forwards there, particularly considering there are a couple more guys in Albany that will warrant callups at some point.

They really need to add a solid 3rd line center, but someone get's kicked out of the lineup then. It's possible they could include Boucher's rights in some kind of a deal for a defenseman, then sign someone to center the third line.

As it stands, the only deal that makes any sense is if Shero can somehow cobble together a package for a top-4 D. Though after seeing what Larsson went for, I seriously doubt he can pull that off.

I'll be cautiously optimistic, but very concerned about the D if this is what we go into the season with.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
From what Shero said in his conference call today I think we might be done. He said it's important to have some competition for the young guys, and contrary to what a lot of people seem to think, we do have a lot of those.

And I think the bigger issue is that NJ should be stockpiling prospects, rather than trading them to fill holes right now.

If Zacha is expected to make the team, then I think the forward group is set. But the D has some question marks. I think the left side is okay with Greene, Moore and Merrill - plus Helgeson. What about Yohann Auvitu? I can't imagine the guy who just won the Best Defenseman award in the Finnish League signed with the Devils to ride the bus in Albany - are the Devils penciling him into the lineup?

But with Larsson gone, the only established NHLers they have on the right side are Severson and Lovejoy. I'd imagine guys like Santini and Jacobs won't be ready, but are Mozik and Scarlett prepared to be NHLers? I think it might be in NJ's best interest to sign a steady veteran RHD who can play on the bottom pair, or go down to Albany if one of the youngsters gets called up. Someone like Korbinian Holzer or Tyson Strachan, maybe even Eric Gryba or Raphael Diaz.

Aug 21, 2014
I think as far as the forwards are concerned, probably. Though as it stands one of Josefson or Kalinin will have to play 3rd line C instead of 4th line wing, which isn't ideal. But almost every single forward they have is either a recent acquisition/signing (Josefson, Kalinin, Fiddler, DSP, Bennett, Hall), or probably not going anywhere (Henrique, Palmieri, Zajac, Cammalleri). Counting Boucher, Blandisi, and Zacha, that's 13 forwards already. Blandisi probably starts in the AHL and Zacha may or may not make the team, but I suspect he will. Not much room for any more forwards there, particularly considering there are a couple more guys in Albany that will warrant callups at some point.

They really need to add a solid 3rd line center, but someone get's kicked out of the lineup then. It's possible they could include Boucher's rights in some kind of a deal for a defenseman, then sign someone to center the third line.

As it stands, the only deal that makes any sense is if Shero can somehow cobble together a package for a top-4 D. Though after seeing what Larsson went for, I seriously doubt he can pull that off.

I'll be cautiously optimistic, but very concerned about the D if this is what we go into the season with.

A top 4 D and a #3C? Matt Stajan and Dennis Wideman got you covered.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I want Shero to trade for Eakin from Dal. I also think Shero is working the phones as said in the OP

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If Zacha is expected to make the team, then I think the forward group is set. But the D has some question marks. I think the left side is okay with Greene, Moore and Merrill - plus Helgeson. What about Yohann Auvitu? I can't imagine the guy who just won the Best Defenseman award in the Finnish League signed with the Devils to ride the bus in Albany - are the Devils penciling him into the lineup?

Merrill's expected to miss training camp / beginning of the season while recovering from shoulder surgery. Shero mentioned that Auvitu will be in the mix for that roster spot for opening night.

I'd imagine guys like Santini and Jacobs won't be ready, but are Mozik and Scarlett prepared to be NHLers? I think it might be in NJ's best interest to sign a steady veteran RHD who can play on the bottom pair, or go down to Albany if one of the youngsters gets called up. Someone like Korbinian Holzer or Tyson Strachan, maybe even Eric Gryba or Raphael Diaz.

We'll see how Santini looks in camp. I wouldn't be opposed to him getting used to the pro schedule in the AHL, but he might be able to step in right away on a 3rd pair.

If Zidlicky were 5 years younger, he'd be a nice bridge player to pick up to play 3rd pairing and be PPQB. If James Wisniewski can't land a guaranteed deal, I wouldn't mind trying to lure him on a PTO and see how his ACL recovery is going during preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad