Confirmed with Link: (NJ/WPG) Miller to WPG for 2026 4th Rd Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Jesus why does Fitz keep deferring picks?!
HAHAHHAHA 2026! talk about junk! just give them to him for cash that that point fitzy

We traded a 5th rounder to Dallas for Miller last summer, and it looks like we're getting a 4th from Winnipeg for him.

No harm done, even a slight positive. Glad we got something for him.

i'm not saying this for the miller because hes meh and the return is actually less then meh. but this attitude for sellers is just comical to me.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
if you think making a pure "who cares" dump of a trade for a 5th round pick an hour after trading a possible 2nd round pick for a goalie is indicative of someone with a well thought out plan, I have a bridge to sell you.

Cool, let me hear about this bridge. I like bridges a lot more than I like cynically crafted arguments.

Reactions: Mr Bojanglez

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Did they have to sell Miller? A 2026 4th is basically nothing. He might have had more worth to us as a body so we can rotate some of the young guys out a few games until the end and also to keep Smith out of the lineup a few games as he has been a huge negative all year and hurts his partners in the process
We can sign him this summer if he means something.
4th round pick even from 2026 draft is still an assets for trade for example.

Reactions: My3Sons

CalamityX23

May 2, 2023
not a big deal. 2026 is in 2 yrs...

we either use it to draft a good prospect or trade it for moving up the draft board any year from here til then or use for a player acquisition via trade.

Nothing too bad.

Dougie coming up would be great however this team needs to seriously go 13-6 to make it into the playoffs at minimum now IMO

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I like that Nemec will go back to maybe getting some PP QB time, even if it's on the second unit

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Did they have to sell Miller? A 2026 4th is basically nothing. He might have had more worth to us as a body so we can rotate some of the young guys out a few games until the end and also to keep Smith out of the lineup a few games as he has been a huge negative all year and hurts his partners in the process
Yeah. He was walking as a UFA anyway. Get something back. They can flip it for a Zucker or Roslovic-esque trade next deadline if they need to add depth for the playoffs.

Having Smith in the lineup is a positive at this point. Season is lost. Macro-priority should be losing games to maximize the value of their first round pick, with the added bonus of ensuring Green is not hired as the full-time HC.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's going to be absolutely hilarious when we win the draft lottery AGAIN and we all forget about the tantrum everyone threw at the deadline.

Reactions: xigon

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah. He was walking as a UFA anyway. Get something back. They can flip it for a Zucker or Roslovic-esque trade next deadline if they need to add depth for the playoffs.

Having Smith in the lineup is a positive at this point. Season is lost. Macro-priority should be losing games to maximize the value of their first round pick, with the added bonus of ensuring Green is not hired as the full-time HC.

No, I see this sort of take all the time, and the macro-priority is absolutely not losing games. The Devils don't need a higher pick. If the Devils are going to win a Stanley Cup in the near-future, most of those players will play on Saturday. They need wins. I agree Green as HC would be bad, so maybe not too many, but wins are definitely better than not wins.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This trade blows

I would have rather have kept him and watched him constantly sit in the press box for Brendan Smith, like he’s been doing (off and on) since game 1 of the season.

But seriously, I’m glad he gets to be involved in playoff hockey.

How much more did people expect to get for him? Not sure why there’s any outrage over this.

Reactions: My3Sons

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
trade our top goalscorer for pennies on the dollar. trade a minute eating defenseman who’s played really well for nothing. trade a possible 2nd round pick for a dogshit goalie.

fire tom fitzgerald

RUDDERLESS SHIP

Umm. Sorry but are you looking to be outrageous as possible? I'll bite.

Allen is a better goalie then we have on our team, got him at half price for 1 full season.

Miller was ok but nothing special. He was never going to get more than anything we got. We traded a 5th for him and now traded him for a 4th.

Toffoli trade you can say it wasnt great but it wasn't horrible either. Labeling him our top goal scorer when you know it won't make a damn difference to sink our team if he is gone. The team will get more production from Meier with Meier on PP now.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I don't mind the trade by itself. But if you prioritized getting a goalie for this year instead of just waiting for the offseason where you have several other goalies become available, why did you then trade a reliable middle-bottom pairing defenseman for basically free?

Either you think the goalie helps the math enough with the little season you have left to maybe sneak into the playoffs, or you think the playoffs aren't happening so you give away your minutes-eating defenseman for a ham sandwich. Those two thoughts should have been mutually exclusive.

Reactions: hn777

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No, I see this sort of take all the time, and the macro-priority is absolutely not losing games. The Devils don't need a higher pick. If the Devils are going to win a Stanley Cup in the near-future, most of those players will play on Saturday. They need wins. I agree Green as HC would be bad, so maybe not too many, but wins are definitely better than not wins.
Higher pick is better. Yes. This is just true.

1. You can pick a better player in the draft.

2. The pick has more value in a trade, which may be very pertinent to the Devils to acquiring an impact player.

I would like to see the young players play with some structure down the stretch, but winning accomplishes absolutely nothing. Really, it's a net negative at this point.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021

Yea if it gets significantly worse the rest of the season there will be much bigger changes to this core than we are expecting.

The Devils haven't been getting great results in the standings but have had no finishing for the past few weeks in addition to usual lack of saves. There needs to be progress even if the season overall is a step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad