Proposal: NJ - SJ (Meier)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fair enough on Kuokkanen. Keep in mind that Zacha isn't really a center. He's great on the wing, but below replacement level in the middle. You honestly wouldn't even want him there to cover an injury.

I have seen Devils fans make this sort of critique on Zacha. I understand that but when our 3C is Dylan Gambrell, we have to take into account all the potential options. lol

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
To be fair, Kuokkanen is 2 years younger than Meier, and just had 25 points in 50 games while Meier had 31 in 54 games. pretty similar point production on two teams that scored goals at very comparable rates this season.
So why trade for Meier if Kuokkanen is a better value?

Reactions: themelkman

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So why trade for Meier if Kuokkanen is a better value?

220px-Swiss_cheese_cubes.jpg

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If you're gonna start a thread overvaluing your mediocre players, then I'm gonna do the same.

If you want Meier, then it's gotta start at Hischier and keep adding from there.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I have seen Devils fans make this sort of critique on Zacha. I understand that but when our 3C is Dylan Gambrell, we have to take into account all the potential options. lol

You’ll just have to take our word for it. Zacha in a bottom-6 center role is a very forgettable player, whereas Zacha in a top-6 winger role is an offensive force.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You’ll just have to take our word for it. Zacha in a bottom-6 center role is a very forgettable player, whereas Zacha in a top-6 winger role is an offensive force.

I am but I'm just saying that I'm almost certain he'd still be better as a forgettable bottom 6 center than Gambrell who is unforgettable in how bad he actually is. That's all. I don't think we have the spots to get the best out of Zacha and I doubt we'd trade for him to fill 3C but there will be a lot of options that would end up better than Gambrell who was absolutely terrible. If Seattle takes him from us in the expansion draft, I will be very happy.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Quantity for quality. So probably a pass from the Sharks. The only reason I'm for this is because it means two former Mooseheads, and Swiss countrymen, would be on the same line.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Because

1. Meier is better and has a better track record (hence the 1st round pick going to SJS in the deal)
2. Devils lack big body forwards. Kuokkanen style of game is redundant with Hughes/Bratt/Boqvist

Foote can be the big bodied forward who's cheaper and won't be leaving as a UFA before the Devils are ready to compete.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Counter Proposal (done before the expansion, otherwise we likely do not have Simek):

Meier + Simek for Kuokkanen/Merkley + Daws + NYI 1st + NJ 2022 2nd (If for cap reasons you want to throw Butcher in at 50% retained, you can but it is not necessary).

Daws is a decent, young German goalie prospect. The 2022 2nd is good capital for making moves in a deep draft. Honestly, value wise it is still a little light for Meier alone, but given the cap flexibility it provides us, it would be worth considering.

Quite honestly, Merkley and Kuokkanen should not be interchangeable value wise in my opinion. I would be very interested in dealing Merkley instead of Kuokkanen as Kuokkanen is more of what the Devils need whereas Devils have players like Merkley in droves. Boqvist might be more interesting for Sharks if they’re looking for centers. He’s going to get squeezed.

The extra second is tough honestly. I think the Devils would prefer that to be conditional on either Meier’s production or their success next year. I would counter offer with a conditional second if Devils make the playoffs and Meier plays in over 50% of the games. If not a 2022 3rd.

Meier + Simek for Boqvist + Daws + 2021 Islanders 1st + conditional 2022 3rd (moves up to 2nd if Devils make the playoffs).

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Quite honestly, Merkley and Kuokkanen should not be interchangeable value wise in my opinion. I would be very interested in dealing Merkley instead of Kuokkanen as Kuokkanen is more of what the Devils need whereas Devils have players like Merkley in droves. Boqvist might be more interesting for Sharks if they’re looking for centers. He’s going to get squeezed.

The extra second is tough honestly. I think the Devils would prefer that to be conditional on either Meier’s production or their success next year. I would counter offer with a conditional second if Devils make the playoffs and Meier plays in over 50% of the games. If not a 2022 3rd.

Meier + Simek for Boqvist + Daws + 2021 Islanders 1st + conditional 2022 3rd (moves up to 2nd if Devils make the playoffs).

Boqvist does not appear to have put enough together (purely from a stats perspective) to move the needle much for me. I think he is expansion exempt, so that is something if this is prior to the expansion. As far as the conditional pick thing for the 2nd/3rd, our GMs probably could work that out. I on the otherhand, likely don't pull the trigger without a better forward in there (like the original Kuokannen) or a non-conditional 2nd.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If you're gonna start a thread overvaluing your mediocre players, then I'm gonna do the same.

If you want Meier, then it's gotta start at Hischier and keep adding from there.

Yeah but the adding is San Jose adding for Hischier ....Get your point but Kouk is a player I'd rather keep and see how he develops....Teams simply aren't good trading partners....Devils aren't ready to make a move for your vets to contend....Imo I wouldn't trade Zacha either Meier has been declining maybe due to bad team but still declining production wise...

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad