Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Decided to start playing Lego City Undercover last night after spending 20+ hours playing Binding of Isaac over the long weekend. I had no idea this game was so funny. And it seems like there's a ton to do, so it should keep me occupied and help me get away from my BoI addiction. At least I hope it does, since I have other games I need to get around to playing.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I don't know, I got to the mother really quickly. After that it was just gimmicky versions of the same playthrough with the unlockable modes (some of them being joke modes and unplayable). I can't remember the exact time but I believe I beat it in one day.

Edit: so according to howlongtobeat the main game is 4 hours

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9782

And the side stuff is supposedly 60 hours. If those 60 hours are counting the unlockable modes then I consider it a 4 hour game (for me personally)

Thanks for your input. I checked Steam and apparently I don't own it, the full bundle is $40 CDN. So I bought the Switch version ($50 CDN, ugh) because I like the physical cart and portability. And good god do I ever suck at this game. Played two hours and only got to the third or fourth level once. Anyone have any useful tips? I don't even know what half the items for sale even do.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for your input. I checked Steam and apparently I don't own it, the full bundle is $40 CDN. So I bought the Switch version ($50 CDN, ugh) because I like the physical cart and portability. And good god do I ever suck at this game. Played two hours and only got to the third or fourth level once. Anyone have any useful tips? I don't even know what half the items for sale even do.

Did not learn what every upgrade does but the basic idea of the game is that half of the upgrades actively sabotage your playthrough, so you have to be very careful what upgrades you grab. The satanic upgrades give the best perks but also the worst downsides, the angels give minor upgrades but also no much downside.

Basically once you find some perks you like stay away from the satanic upgrades, though in my experience you just have to roll the dice early in your playthrough because you need the power ups. If they suck, they suck. Theres more depth than what I explained with the slot machines and other stuff but I never learned it to be honest. Someone more knowledgable can fill you in, just my two cents.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

First, I suggest using this so you can stay away from items that will hinder your progress. This list will also allow you to pick up any items that you feel will help your run (I prefer DMG bonuses and speed bonuses, personally). However, I suggest picking up everything at least once so you can get a feel for what type of items you like the most: http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus

Second, this game is hard. Very, very hard at some points. Just try to learn the enemy movement and attack patterns during your first few runs. Once you have a general understanding of what hurts you, how it hurts you, and for how many hearts it hurts you, you'll be able to come up with different strategies to tackle rooms.

Third, use a bomb to blow up any rocks that are shaded differently from the other rocks around them. They'll drop items, and more than likely they'll drop soul hearts (the bluish-white hearts). You'll want to stock up on these non-red type of hearts if you want to have access to the devil rooms at the end of each level, as any damage done to your red hearts greatly decreases your chances of having access to them.

Fourth, put all of your spare money into the bank in the store. The bank will literally break once you can't put in any more money, but the more money you save, the better your store gets. The store upgrades allow you to pick from more items (as in there will be 5 items instead of 4), but the items that appear are always random. Some items show up more frequently than others, but none are guaranteed.

Fifth, I suggest turning on your stats HUD from the options menu. You'll get an idea of which stats are lacking, and which items you'll need to bump up these stats.

Lastly, Azazel is easy mode. If you ever go on a really bad streak, pick Azazel to play as and your confidence will skyrocket. Or, better yet, just play Azazel runs after you unlock him to unlock the items you don't have access to yet.

Have fun, man. I have something like 250+ hours in this game across the PC, PS4, and the Switch versions. It's a ton of fun, and basically always challenging. You'll get the random run where literally everything goes your way and you breeze through every boss, but those are few and far between. More often than not you'll need to rely on skill, and that's built up over time. Don't be afraid to fail in this game, because you will. It's all a part of the learning process.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Up to world 2 of XCoMario. Starting to lose interest; but thats kinda how I treat every real time strategy. I learn the basics, and then get bored.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Decided to start playing Lego City Undercover last night after spending 20+ hours playing Binding of Isaac over the long weekend. I had no idea this game was so funny. And it seems like there's a ton to do, so it should keep me occupied and help me get away from my BoI addiction. At least I hope it does, since I have other games I need to get around to playing.

That's pretty much ANY LEGO game. Tons of humor and pop culture references with lots and lots of things to collect, mini games and customization.

I got this one too (on Xbox One) and it is indeed a fantastic game.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
That's pretty much ANY LEGO game. Tons of humor and pop culture references with lots and lots of things to collect, mini games and customization.

I got this one too (on Xbox One) and it is indeed a fantastic game.

Would you recommend the other Lego titles? I remember playing the first Lego Star Wars game way back when it came out, but I haven't played any of the newer releases except for City Undercover.

I think this one interested me because it's not based on a film series, so the majority of the game is entirely original.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Would you recommend the other Lego titles? I remember playing the first Lego Star Wars game way back when it came out, but I haven't played any of the newer releases except for City Undercover.

I think this one interested me because it's not based on a film series, so the majority of the game is entirely original.
If you like what the lego game is based on (Star Wars, LOTR, Hobbit, Harry Potter... etc) Yes I absolutely recommend them. Other games like Lego Worlds play completely different.

But games like Lego City: Undercover and original titles like that play like their movie counterparts. Fun / witty humor and tons of things to collect. I agree, I like the originality more than the ones based on movies but they don't come out as often as the movie ones.

I pre-ordered Samus Returns. I really, really hope it sells well.

Me too. I think it will. Everyone is jacked for Samus' return to 3DS and Switch. Like REAL Metroid games. Not those weird ones.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
What do you have against Splatoon 2? I think it's a super fun game.

I never played the first one, was itching for a new Switch game so I got it. *MOD*

Anyways, the weapon balance is completely awful.

Not sure how the matchmaking works but putting 4 carbon rollers against a team of nothing but spray and pray isn't the best experience for a game.

I also hate how you are locked once you start searching for a game... up to 200 seconds! You cannot edit your guy, you cannot back out... nothing. Once you decide to search for a game the only way to back out is to close out the game and start it again. And the default option after playing a match is to play again so if you press A after a match just to move along you end up joining another match... Very annoying if you just leveled up and wanted to go get some new gear.

On top of that I would say about 50% of the matches I play someone on my team or the other team is AFK the whole match. There is no booting with replacing.

For being an online battle centric game it's not robust at all. Maybe I am spoiled with my PS4, Xbox and PC games but it really turned me off of doing anything online on the Switch. Just a horrible experience. I am sure it will get better and games like Mario Kart 8 were done right. Splatoon just has a lot of growing up to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I never played the first one, was itching for a new Switch game so I got it. *MOD*

Anyways, the weapon balance is completely awful.

Not sure how the matchmaking works but putting 4 carbon rollers against a team of nothing but spray and pray isn't the best experience for a game.

I also hate how you are locked once you start searching for a game... up to 200 seconds! You cannot edit your guy, you cannot back out... nothing. Once you decide to search for a game the only way to back out is to close out the game and start it again. And the default option after playing a match is to play again so if you press A after a match just to move along you end up joining another match... Very annoying if you just leveled up and wanted to go get some new gear.

On top of that I would say about 50% of the matches I play someone on my team or the other team is AFK the whole match. There is no booting with replacing.

For being an online battle centric game it's not robust at all. Maybe I am spoiled with my PS4, Xbox and PC games but it really turned me off of doing anything online on the Switch. Just a horrible experience. I am sure it will get better and games like Mario Kart 8 were done right. Splatoon just has a lot of growing up to do.

All of your points are completely valid and more or less true for me, too. I guess I went into the game with a different mindset than some people, since I wasn't expecting anything on the level of other mature, more polished console shooters.

Splatoon 2 is definitely not balanced, and I've run into AFKers more often than I've liked. It's still fun, though, in my opinion. Even if my team doesn't win, I still have a good time splatting ink all over the place. I guess it depends on what kind of game one is looking to play, and what a person wants out of their game that will dictate whether or not Splatoon 2 is right for them. For me, I just wanted to have fun, and I got it.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
All of your points are completely valid and more or less true for me, too. I guess I went into the game with a different mindset than some people, since I wasn't expecting anything on the level of other mature, more polished console shooters.

Splatoon 2 is definitely not balanced, and I've run into AFKers more often than I've liked. It's still fun, though, in my opinion. Even if my team doesn't win, I still have a good time splatting ink all over the place. I guess it depends on what kind of game one is looking to play, and what a person wants out of their game that will dictate whether or not Splatoon 2 is right for them. For me, I just wanted to have fun, and I got it.

I get it. I don't mean to just trash the game. I can see where its fun. Especially if you have lots of friend to play with and are willing to Skype / call / use that weird app on your phone to chat while playing. I think it can be really fun. But none of my friends have a Switch and being a solo person playing and wanting good online competition it just wasn't for me. I can see the value in the game though and how others can have fun with it.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I get it. I don't mean to just trash the game. I can see where its fun. Especially if you have lots of friend to play with and are willing to Skype / call / use that weird app on your phone to chat while playing. I think it can be really fun. But none of my friends have a Switch and being a solo person playing and wanting good online competition it just wasn't for me. I can see the value in the game though and how others can have fun with it.

Ahh, that makes sense. A few of my buddies were able to pick of Switches within the last two months, and we've been playing Splatoon 2 together for a while now. I can see how being a solo player with AFK teammates and a bunch of level 1s could kill the enjoyment factor for you.

When I play solo, I only focus on leveling up my gear instead of winning, haha. It makes those bad matches less bad since I'll still get a decent bit of XP/item level out of them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What do you have against Splatoon 2? I think it's a super fun game.

to answer the question nothing.
like it's just not one of those games that i know i'll be interested in. i've seen gameplay and never thought "ya know - I'm missing out."

my walmart didn't have the bundle though. sad panda.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Im hyped.

Though I may not watch live just to avoid Mario Odyssey spoilers, which I have done a good job of avoiding so far.

Cant believe it comes out in less than two months. :nod:

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Yeah I'll be watching, but once it gets to unveiling more about Super Mario Odyssey I'll probably stop watching.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I usually just look at the list of announced games.

I ended up seeing a bit of Mario Odyssey by mistake and couldn't look away :laugh:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
First, I suggest using this so you can stay away from items that will hinder your progress. This list will also allow you to pick up any items that you feel will help your run (I prefer DMG bonuses and speed bonuses, personally). However, I suggest picking up everything at least once so you can get a feel for what type of items you like the most: http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus

Second, this game is hard. Very, very hard at some points. Just try to learn the enemy movement and attack patterns during your first few runs. Once you have a general understanding of what hurts you, how it hurts you, and for how many hearts it hurts you, you'll be able to come up with different strategies to tackle rooms.

Third, use a bomb to blow up any rocks that are shaded differently from the other rocks around them. They'll drop items, and more than likely they'll drop soul hearts (the bluish-white hearts). You'll want to stock up on these non-red type of hearts if you want to have access to the devil rooms at the end of each level, as any damage done to your red hearts greatly decreases your chances of having access to them.

Fourth, put all of your spare money into the bank in the store. The bank will literally break once you can't put in any more money, but the more money you save, the better your store gets. The store upgrades allow you to pick from more items (as in there will be 5 items instead of 4), but the items that appear are always random. Some items show up more frequently than others, but none are guaranteed.

Fifth, I suggest turning on your stats HUD from the options menu. You'll get an idea of which stats are lacking, and which items you'll need to bump up these stats.

Lastly, Azazel is easy mode. If you ever go on a really bad streak, pick Azazel to play as and your confidence will skyrocket. Or, better yet, just play Azazel runs after you unlock him to unlock the items you don't have access to yet.

Have fun, man. I have something like 250+ hours in this game across the PC, PS4, and the Switch versions. It's a ton of fun, and basically always challenging. You'll get the random run where literally everything goes your way and you breeze through every boss, but those are few and far between. More often than not you'll need to rely on skill, and that's built up over time. Don't be afraid to fail in this game, because you will. It's all a part of the learning process.

Really appreciate this. Thanks! (And thanks ah83 too.)

Really hoping Nintendo announces some Virtual Console stuff on the Nintendo Direct. Need more games like BoI to play in between Zelda runs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad