Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i never played Smash, at all.
is it like a Warriors/Musou game?

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee about Octopath. i must get the collectors edition.
and time to pre-order some hyrule warriors.
never played Okami, but will get that.

it seems that Nintendo's plan is to bring over all the best WiiU games to switch, so i wonder if it makes sense to just get the switch versions and sell the wiiu games, and just use my wiiu for the virtual console games.

Reactions: Oogie Boogie

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Okami HD on the Switch? Nice, was hoping for just that. I've mentioned numerous times that I consider it the third best "Zelda" game ever.

Still looking forward to the horribly named Octopath.

Another No More Heroes game? Neato.

Release date for Hyrule Warriors is cool.

But hey, was still hoping for some Mario Party and Virtual Console news.
It's more like the 10th best, IMO.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
At least Okami'll be the best Zelda game on the Switch.

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
Overall it was a decent Direct, I'll prob pick up Luigi's Mansion (I haven't even used my 3DS in months and this'll prob be the last time I do) I'm glad I held off on getting either Undertale or South Park on PS4, I'll def pick them up on Switch now. While I am pumped that SSB is going to be on Switch, I found I got bored playing Wii U Smash much faster in comparison to any of the other Smash Bros. games, I just can't help but wonder if it'll happen again.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I was thinking of getting Kirby but after playing the demo, it's pretty boring so I'll pass on that.

I'm excited for Smash and Mario Tennis, the latter because there's basically zero tennis game on the market for any console.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The release schedule is looking pretty good for the first half of the year.

March - Kirby
April - South Park
May - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Hyrule Warriors
-Dark Souls
June - Mario Tennis
July - Crash Bandicoot
- Captain Toad
-Octopath Traveler

Octopath, Cpt Toad, Hyrule Warriors, South Park and probably Mario Tennis will be must buys for me.

Captain Toad is the best game of all time! :blah:

Also Splatoon is freaking great. People need to get into it. I am absolutely hooked.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
The release schedule is looking pretty good for the first half of the year.

March - Kirby
April - South Park
May - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Hyrule Warriors
-Dark Souls
June - Mario Tennis
July - Crash Bandicoot
- Captain Toad
-Octopath Traveler

Octopath, Cpt Toad, Hyrule Warriors, South Park and probably Mario Tennis will be must buys for me.

Captain Toad is the best game of all time! :blah:

Also Splatoon is freaking great. People need to get into it. I am absolutely hooked.

my friend keeps saying that. he is ADDICTED to splatoon.
do i need splatoon 1 to "get" splatoon 2?

also i noticed during mario tennis - they are going to charge us for online use? seriously?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I was thinking of getting Kirby but after playing the demo, it's pretty boring so I'll pass on that.

I'm excited for Smash and Mario Tennis, the latter because there's basically zero tennis game on the market for any console.

yah. i cancelled my preorder right away after playing that demo.

my game plan is this:
Octopath Traveller (probably just the normal game. i'd like the CD, but don't need the map + a coin)
Mario Tennis
HW: DE (trading in both my wiiu + 3ds versions to get this one)
if i have money-Captain Toad. i liked this game a lot.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Think it's funny how Nintendo keeps referring to Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 as "Switch exclusives," when I already have both games on my Wii U.

Cool that Captain Toad is coming to Switch and 3DS though. I've been thinking of picking that up for Wii U, but now maybe I'll wait until I get a Switch, or get the 3DS version instead.

As for Okami, I played the port that came to Wii ages ago. It's a good game, but tends to be overrated these days. Great art style, but I felt it lacked the same tight design as real Zelda games. It was not nearly as satisfying from a dungeon/puzzle solving perspective as a real Zelda. Also tt went on way too long.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Think it's funny how Nintendo keeps referring to Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 as "Switch exclusives," when I already have both games on my Wii U.

Cool that Captain Toad is coming to Switch and 3DS though. I've been thinking of picking that up for Wii U, but now maybe I'll wait until I get a Switch, or get the 3DS version instead.

As for Okami, I played the port that came to Wii ages ago. It's a good game, but tends to be overrated these days. Great art style, but I felt it lacked the same tight design as real Zelda games. It was not nearly as satisfying from a dungeon/puzzle solving perspective as a real Zelda. Also tt went on way too long.

I'm falling into a similar trap, I either own the Wii U versions or ports of the games on other systems, so while the touchscreen controls look cool for Okami, I bought the Xbone version for $15.

Also, considering that I never leave the house with my Switch, save once when travelling, the portability isn't a big draw. I have my Wii U, it still works, so I can't justify getting MK 8 (again) either.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

That's because this "Wii U" is just a figment of your imagination.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
i never played Smash, at all.
is it like a Warriors/Musou game
No, definitely not. It's its own genre. Hard to describe honestly because there's not a lot to reference it to.

But if you're gonna play it you need to play it with local coop. It's really not fun unless you're playing on the couch with other people.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
No, definitely not. It's its own genre. Hard to describe honestly because there's not a lot to reference it to.

But if you're gonna play it you need to play it with local coop. It's really not fun unless you're playing on the couch with other people.

ah. which i don't have
(but then people generally say this re: mario party + kart and i always play this on my own too lol)

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
the only irrtant i have it's been a year and nothing about virtual console and online services.
i don't want to sink in money buying the games i want for VC: WiiU which includes

(Ocarina, Majora's mask Donkey Kong Country 1-3, (contemplating 64), Mario Party 2, LOZ 1 (my GameCube Disc keeps freezing. blegh) Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon...and that Mario/Donkey kong game (tipping stars).

not to mention if 3ds is losing support i want to get DLCs for all my FE games.
that's a lot of money to sink into the wiiu if they're gonna port everything over.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the only irrtant i have it's been a year and nothing about virtual console and online services.
i don't want to sink in money buying the games i want for VC: WiiU which includes

(Ocarina, Majora's mask Donkey Kong Country 1-3, (contemplating 64), Mario Party 2, LOZ 1 (my GameCube Disc keeps freezing. blegh) Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon...and that Mario/Donkey kong game (tipping stars).

not to mention if 3ds is losing support i want to get DLCs for all my FE games.
that's a lot of money to sink into the wiiu if they're gonna port everything over.
Wait wait wait wait. You actually want/bought Fire Emblem Shadow dragon. I didn't realize there people who don't viciously hate it.

Anyway I agree, it still feels like Nintendo is staggering the potential of this system to keep sales strong and it's kind of annoying.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Also if Smash is just a port of Smash Wii U/3DS I'm selling my Switch and every game I have.

Okay maybe not but I'll be pretty damn upset.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Wait wait wait wait. You actually want/bought Fire Emblem Shadow dragon. I didn't realize there people who don't viciously hate it.

Anyway I agree, it still feels like Nintendo is staggering the potential of this system to keep sales strong and it's kind of annoying.

:laugh:
I just got into the Fire Emblem thing, so i own right now
FE: Warriors (I know this doesn't count)
Echoes, Awakening, Birthright (and I plan on getting Conquest + Revelations once I beat it). I know that Shadow Dragon has Marth + Caeda who are like my favourite people to play with (along with Lyn) in FE:W so i thought playing Shadow Dragon would be a good way to get to "know" them better.

I am getting kind of tired of the ports. like. i get people are like "haha who had a Wii U"
Well - I did. I had a WII U, and I loved it and I bought most of the games available. I don't mind ports when you get a CRAP tonne of stuff (see, hyrule warriors, definitive edition). and I got BoTW because I was OBSESSED with that game and I needed to play on the Switch.

but i mean. come. on now.
unless the next 1/2 of the year is going to like start knocking out it out of the park w/title releases and what not, i'll be grumpy. (I'm glad I still got my switch within the first year, usually it takes me FOREVER to get the console,and then getting the library is a lot of patience and used game hunting). now for the most part for the first time, like ever) games get released and I get them when it make sense.

but boy. I need to know about VC. and Online.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
:laugh:
I just got into the Fire Emblem thing, so i own right now
FE: Warriors (I know this doesn't count)
Echoes, Awakening, Birthright (and I plan on getting Conquest + Revelations once I beat it). I know that Shadow Dragon has Marth + Caeda who are like my favourite people to play with (along with Lyn) in FE:W so i thought playing Shadow Dragon would be a good way to get to "know" them better.

I am getting kind of tired of the ports. like. i get people are like "haha who had a Wii U"
Well - I did. I had a WII U, and I loved it and I bought most of the games available. I don't mind ports when you get a CRAP tonne of stuff (see, hyrule warriors, definitive edition). and I got BoTW because I was OBSESSED with that game and I needed to play on the Switch.

but i mean. come. on now.
unless the next 1/2 of the year is going to like start knocking out it out of the park w/title releases and what not, i'll be grumpy. (I'm glad I still got my switch within the first year, usually it takes me FOREVER to get the console,and then getting the library is a lot of patience and used game hunting). now for the most part for the first time, like ever) games get released and I get them when it make sense.

but boy. I need to know about VC. and Online.
You need to find yourself a way to play the GBA Fire Emblem games.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
You need to find yourself a way to play the GBA Fire Emblem games.

the thing that makes me nervous. (and i know SD doesn't have this either)...
perma-death :laugh: i think for a good chunk of Awakening, I must have killed someone every match until i was strong enough. (thank you casual mode). i think i'd never get anywhere with GBA.

(Also. I am hoping Switch (since they are porting) - will bring Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance)

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
the thing that makes me nervous. (and i know SD doesn't have this either)...
perma-death :laugh: i think for a good chunk of Awakening, I must have killed someone every match until i was strong enough. (thank you casual mode). i think i'd never get anywhere with GBA.

(Also. I am hoping Switch (since they are porting) - will bring Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance)
yeah the prices on those two games at resale value are nutty. Demand has vastly outweighed the supply.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
yeah the prices on those two games at resale value are nutty. Demand has vastly outweighed the supply.

it's insane. like i m hoping they dip to like at least regular re-sale. but they are still "um yeah. 200? no."
my friend's theory is that because Echoes:Shadow's of Valencia did v. well that PoR/RD will be "echoed" as well. eventually, maybe after FE: 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad