Nintendo Switch: Smashy Smashy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Well I finally decided to bend to peer pressure and buy one, I also picked up BoTW and Stardew Valley (I'm a huge fan of Harvest Moon so I figured I have to try this out), are there any other games out right now that I should consider?
Golf Story in my opinion should be considered. There are a couple of us in here who have bought it and love it.

Reactions: Breakdowns

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Super Mario Odyssey is coming out at the end of the month, definitely keep funds available for it.

Yeah. Need to make sure I finish Golf Story before then. Otherwise I may never.

I'm still loving this game. Some of the dialogue is amazing, I personally loved the mocking of cliched athlete interviews.

Reactions: TRG

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
One of the things Golf Story really does well is reward you for seeking out challenges. If you just follow the main story line, the golf itself isn't all that hard. But if you talk to everyone and do all of the quests/challenges, some of the golf is actually challenging. A few of them have taken me several tries to get right.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Have there been any deals on controllers at all since the system came out? I'm probably going to buy a Switch with Super Mario Odyssey coming out, but the extra controller prices seem insane. How's the controller that both joy-cons together (not the pro controller)? Does the pro controller seem like a must? Any other things to know? I've heard getting a screen protector is a must. I also plan on going with physical cards since 32GB in this day and age is absurd.

Also Golf Story looks right up my alley. Definitely plan on buying that.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Have there been any deals on controllers at all since the system came out? I'm probably going to buy a Switch with Super Mario Odyssey coming out, but the extra controller prices seem insane. How's the controller that both joy-cons together (not the pro controller)? Does the pro controller seem like a must? Any other things to know? I've heard getting a screen protector is a must. I also plan on going with physical cards since 32GB in this day and age is absurd.

Also Golf Story looks right up my alley. Definitely plan on buying that.

There's a lot of people that will tell you the pro controller is a must. I personally have not bought the pro controller because I can't stomach the $70 for it. I am perfectly okay with the grip the system provides, but a lot of people aren't.

The screen protector is a must though, and that's decently cheap.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
If you have big hands you will need a pro controller unless you want to play with the joycons separated. The controller that comes with the system is way too small for me.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I hardly ever undock my Switch. Did it a few times when a traveled and that was it. I don't mind using the joycons when it is detached but that make-shift controller you can slide the joycons into is just unplayable to me. My hands like DMST just said are too big. It's the most uncomfortable controller Nintendo has ever made IMO.

So I had to get a pro controller.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Thanks for the input guys. I might have to consider getting a pro controller then.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
I was surprised to see quite a few of them in store at Walmart today. I guess they're not as popular anymore.

I still need to pick one up eventually, as I sold the one I had pre-ordered for only $3 more than it cost (to round it out as I didn't want change). I have a hard time with handhelds because I'm a clean freak, but I don't want to miss out on some of the games (Mario, Mario + Rabbids, replaying Zelda on Switch).

Too bad they didn't have the SNES Classic, which I was trying to pick up for a friend.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I guess they're not as popular anymore

I wouldnt say that, It's more like stock is keeping up with demand. For the first time since launch.
With the holiday season coming and SMO releasing soon, it shouldnt come as a surprise.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Alright my Target has had Switch's in stock the past 10 or so times I have gone there. Like a minimum of 5 or so.

Are people still having issues finding them?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I haven't been looking, but that's because I'm waiting for my Mario Odyssey Switch bundle to come in :).
Is there a benefit to that bundle? Like a limited color of the switch or something? I am guessing its cheaper than buying a switch and the game separately at least?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see you get red controllers and a case with the game and its $20 more than just the switch... very nice! That's a good deal.

If its anything like the case I got for mine that's a good case.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Nintendo did say that they would have plenty of consoles available for purchase whenever the Holiday season rolled around, so I wouldn't say that demand has decreased.
I still see people buying them whenever I go out.

Reactions: Breakdowns

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Is there a benefit to that bundle? Like a limited color of the switch or something? I am guessing its cheaper than buying a switch and the game separately at least?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see you get red controllers and a case with the game and its $20 more than just the switch... very nice! That's a good deal.

If its anything like the case I got for mine that's a good case.

Isn't the Switch $300 and the bundle $380? So the bundle is Switch ($300) + game ($60) + case ($20), so not a deal at all? And the game is digital, which doesn't help with the limited HD space.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Isn't the Switch $300 and the bundle $380? So the bundle is Switch ($300) + game ($60) + case ($20), so not a deal at all? And the game is digital, which doesn't help with the limited HD space.
You're right. For some reason I thought it was $350.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
My plan was to get a Switch at launch, and I did, but my first one had a network issue and the replacement I got was sealed. I decided I'd just sell it because I couldn't justify $550 for just Zelda, and borrowed the Wii U version (and a console). The console from a friend, the game from the library until I beat it. Loved it, too, so I'll pick it up when I do get one.

My plan changed to getting one for Rabbids, but it's too difficult for me I'm thinking, and then it changed to Mario. I figured I'd get the bundle. But the $500 price tag for the bundle, with a case I don't want or need (I'm a clean freak who would never take it out of the house or play it without docking) is making me rethink that.

I'm not as excited about Mario as others for some reason. It looks odd. The whole real world thing. But we'll see -- maybe I'll get one this month.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm full-blown addicted to Breath of the Wild. Might very well be a top five game of all time for me along with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Link to the Past, and Okami. Putting a couple late night hours in daily on the game and just still so damn engrossed. Even as an open world fan, this one just feels so much better fleshed out than essentially anything else.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
My Switch says I am at 260+ hours of BOTW and I still get kind of annoyed when new games draw my attention away from it.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Going to buy myself a dock sock and a screen protector before I get my system. It's gonna look good :).

The dock socks seems purely aesthetic. There was all kinds of talk around launch of the dock scratching systems and it seems obvious now that that was just people being morons with their electronics. Some of them do look nice though.

I got a screen protector day 1 as well. Again there were people complaining about the heat in docked mode affecting the plastic screen protectors (causing them to shrivel or peel) but I put in at least a couple of legitimate 12 hours Zelda sessions and mine still looks pristine after about 6+ months of pretty heavy use.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
On the other hand, my nine year old son took less than a week to crack the glass screen protector on mine, as his hands slipped when he was setting the console into its dock.

So if other people are using your Switch, protect the hell out of it. If it’s just you, no worries. It’s pretty solidly made.

Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
:laugh:

Yeah, I leant my 8 and 6 year old nephew my Switch to play Mario Kart while the adults talked and I could absolutely picture one of them kicking their legs out to shuffle around and giving the console a real boot. It was nostalgic to see but also terrifying.

My Switch made it out unscathed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad