Nintendo Switch #4: More than 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
So, playing Borderlands for the first time and I'm to the mission where I get to drive a car around with janky controls randomly lobbing missiles at other cars and it is just tedious as hell. At some point game makers need to realize they can make a game that involves a vehicle without also forcing us to some tedious crap with it. It's fine just letting us get from point A to point B marginally faster.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Completely dumb too early in the morning complaint: why call it the Mario Red & Blue Edition when the only things anyone would actually see or use is red? Could have just called it the Mario edition :dunno:

A red Switch with blue Joycons would look pretty good. An all-red handheld just immediately makes my mind go to the Marlboro Atari Lynx...a reference I'm sure all children are as aware of as I was as a child :laugh:
Cb6nofCUEAAKptr.jpg

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They released a remake of the first three final fantasy games. I got it since I had enough points to get it for free but not expecting much.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've been playing Kentucky Route Zero and it's really something unique and special, but definitely not for everyone (the kind of thing some people will find pretentious and boring). It's like a really slow, dense and uncompromisingly tasteful literary work in point-and-click text-adventure form combined with surreal magical-realism David Lynch vibes. Only a few chapters in, but I think it might be on its way to beating Inside as my favorite example of videogames as art.

Its approach to interactivity is very different from most games in that it isn't really about player agency-- You feel more like a collaborator who tweaks and personalizes a set-in-stone screenplay or acts out a role as it gets performed or something. Sometimes things of this ilk feel like they're just giving themselves an excuse not to have deep video-game-y mechanics, but here it's a strong decision that would otherwise be an unwelcome distraction.

Unless it falls apart in later chapters, it's my pick for best of the year so far (2020 I mean), way ahead of things like Hades and Final Fantasy VII Remake, personally (although I guess that's kind of cheating, since the last chapter is the only new one-- the whole compiled "TV Edition" was released this year, though).

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've been playing Kentucky Route Zero and it's really something unique and special, but definitely not for everyone (the kind of thing some people will find pretentious and boring). It's like a really slow, dense and uncompromisingly tasteful literary work in point-and-click text-adventure form combined with surreal magical-realism David Lynch vibes. Only a few chapters in, but I think it might be on its way to beating Inside as my favorite example of videogames as art.

Its approach to interactivity is very different from most games in that it isn't really about player agency-- You feel more like a collaborator who tweaks and personalizes a set-in-stone screenplay or acts out a role as it gets performed or something. Sometimes things of this ilk feel like they're just giving themselves an excuse not to have deep video-game-y mechanics, but here it's a strong decision that would otherwise be an unwelcome distraction.

Unless it falls apart in later chapters, it's my pick for best of the year so far (2020 I mean), way ahead of things like Hades and Final Fantasy VII Remake, personally (although I guess that's kind of cheating, since the last chapter is the only new one-- the whole compiled "TV Edition" was released this year, though).

Hadn't heard of this game, but it seems like it'd be for me. I have played and enjoyed both Oxenfree and Night in the Woods. Thanks!

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015

Looks pretty awful

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Looks pretty awful
Brutal, I guess?
Hadn't heard of this game, but it seems like it'd be for me. I have played and enjoyed both Oxenfree and Night in the Woods. Thanks!
There might be a bit of similarity there in terms of look and themes (I think I heard somewhere that Night in the Woods was influenced by it), but it's definitely much less accessible and requires more patience than either of those games I would say. They're almost like the Young Adult versions of it.

Last edited:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Brutal, I guess?
There might be a bit of similarity there in terms of look and themes (I think I heard somewhere that Night in the Woods was influenced by it), but it's definitely much less accessible and requires more patience than either of those games I would say. They're almost like the Young Adult versions of it.

Yes brutal. Do you just like games that are obscure and hate all the ones that most people like?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yes brutal. Do you just like games that are obscure and hate all the ones that most people like?
I liked what I played of Hades so far and suspect that I'll love it once I finish procrastinating and dive deeper into it, and I've been pretty obsessively deep into the whole Final Fantasy VII Remake thing, despite it having a ton of awful flaws (I mentioned those two because they'll probably end up my #2 and #3). The only popular game I played from this year that I think is trash is The Last of Us II. On top of that Kentucky Route Zero is hardly some obscure unknown thing-- it shows up on tons of top lists-- including high on best of the decade lists (example 1 and example 2). Not that any of that should matter anyways.

But yeah, I generally dislike and usually feel underwhelmed by the types of more-is-more, "better technical accomplishments = better game" escapist sensibilities that tend to result in things becoming popular, and like bold, tasteful, eccentric and/or uncompromising minimalist decisions that tend to be unlikely to become popular (in other mediums too). Make no mistake-- that's not at all a reaction to the fact that they do or don't become popular though-- I want the things that I like to become popular and things that I don't like to become obscure and I love when it happens, but the reality is that that's just not the way things work out. Interesting things often go unnoticed and shallow things often sell. Most people recognize that to at least some degree when it comes to something like Call of Duty/EA games vs. accepted well made games, I just take that same observation to more of an extreme than you might, judging by the reaction.

Super annoying that people get so put off and assume some disingenuous try-hard front whenever they encounter this. Like no, I just personally happen to genuinely feel that way and it's just a disagreement like anything else.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Super annoying that people get so put off and assume some disingenuous try-hard front whenever they encounter this. Like no, I just personally happen to genuinely feel that way and it's just a disagreement like anything else.

You like what you like my friend, and you have explained why many times in the past. Nothing wrong with that.

For what it's worth, I tend to agree with why you like certain things.

Of course, I also tend to like some of the more mainstream stuff as well. :laugh:

Reactions: Winger98

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Bought Ring Fit about a month ago and tried it out today. Not a bad workout for a few minutes worth of time. It's definitely going to be a gym substitute for the near future.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm completely content with my purchase of Nintendo Switch even if i only ever use it to BOTW and then with my buddies to play Smash and Civ 6. BUT it would be nice if they start coming out with some better games. I have no interest in these Mario spinoffs and while some of these indie games are fun, I haven't come across many that scream "MUST PLAY".

I want to see Nintendo start flexing their IP's. Give me a new Metroid, or a Star Fox game, or something cool with Donkey Kong even. No spinoffs or gimmicky games. I want whatever Nintendo's equivalent to a AAA title would be. They have the characters and the loyalty to try something amazing. When i first heard of BOTW i thought it was automatic that they'd be giving their other storied characters similar treatment.

If there are some Nintendo games i'm snoozing on then by all means please tell me but as of now there hasn't been much of a reason to turn on my Switch lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad