Nintendo Switch #2: 1 year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Honestly doesn't feel like its been out for more than a year. I don't feel like it was THAT long ago I was standing outside Target at 5am waiting for them to open the door in below freezing weather. I don't play my switch much right now but am excited for a lot of games on the horizon.

Reactions: Bozle

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Almost ready to give up on Zelda BOTW... so I just finishing repairing my Sheikah Slate and I decided to just venture around and it's so desolate. I couldn't find anything to do. I went to a peninsula and the enemies there were so strong they one hit me. I snuck around them to get into this Shrine and it was a test of strength and that boss one hit me. So I ended up walking around west and ran into a blood moon. That thing talked to me for a little bit about Ganon getting stronger, and then I just quit for the night. Felt like I just wasted an hour doing absolutely nothing.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Almost ready to give up on Zelda BOTW... so I just finishing repairing my Sheikah Slate and I decided to just venture around and it's so desolate. I couldn't find anything to do. I went to a peninsula and the enemies there were so strong they one hit me. I snuck around them to get into this Shrine and it was a test of strength and that boss one hit me. So I ended up walking around west and ran into a blood moon. That thing talked to me for a little bit about Ganon getting stronger, and then I just quit for the night. Felt like I just wasted an hour doing absolutely nothing.
You are probably approaching the game wrong- the game is never going to tell you what to do as there is intentionally no real direction other than the first quest you get which is to defeat Ganon. The game is about exploring the world to get both your character stronger (through finding weapons/armor as well as discovering and completing shrines) and more importantly making the human player stronger by learning from experience as you experiment using the game's different systems to better accomplish whatever you are trying to do.

As for the bolded, that's normal, just explore the world, as there are many things hidden throughout that you will miss on if your goal is just to "complete objective."

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm feeling the same way with it, you are not alone. I bought the Switch for BotW, gave it one 6/7 hour session where I wanted it to grab me but it never really did. I got to the first town and called it; weapons breaking in 5/6 hits, lots of long walking - I don't have time to spend on 4/5 hour sessions just looking around in games anymore - I am busy enough that I get a few hours here are there - so maybe i'm just too old for this type of game now. And it's a shame as I really wanted to love it. I've tried a few more short sessions since the first one and I'm just not sure its for me; now my switch gathers dust until the virtual console comes out and I can buy Super Mario 3 I guess.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Finally decided to play Bayonetta, it was overdue. Love the DMC games (1-4). There was an issue with my Bayonetta 1 download code though. Called the Nintendo Support number and the guy gave me a new code and I was downloading it within 10 minutes. Great service.

So far it's not bad. Playing it docked and man it I forgot it was 9 years old or so. Doesn't look the best but plays good.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Any more news on blizzard, Pokémon switch and Metroid ? Do I have to wait until June? :huh:

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I'd be pretty stoked if we got updates on those games in June

Frankly, I'm not expecting it.

I’ll quote your second post :p. Same... I mean prob playable content for smash and tennis (unless tennis already comes out). I would absolutely love an MMO or something for the switch. If WoW can’t happen give me something else lol

Ps I hope you guys get a good draft pick in NY

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

The game is very different from other Zelda games in that there is basically no hand-holding, and this can make the early game more challenging than usual. There's no tutorial section and no companion to tell you where to go or what to do. You are just thrown into the world to choose your own path. To me and many others, that is what makes the game so thrilling and refreshing. But I guess to you it feels somewhat aimless.

And combat in the early game is tougher than usual. Even regular enemies are tough, plus it's quite possible for you to stumble on an overworld boss (Stone Talus, Hinox, Guardian, to say nothing of a Lynel), which are likely to destroy you pretty quickly. Best to just avoid these entirely until a bit later in the game.

But combat does get easier. You will get more hearts. You will create meals and potions that help in combat. You will find better weapons and shields that last longer. Later in the game, running out of good weapons is not a problem - more likely you will find more good weapons than you have inventory slots for and will have to always choose which one to drop. You will get a variety of different types of armor and be able to upgrade most pieces of armor so that they have a much better defense value.

Overall, my best advice for enjoying the game is to just let go and explore. You will always find interesting things in every part of Hyrule. Don't worry that there are not a clear series of objectives like in other Zeldas. The world is massive and fun to just walk around exploring, even after dozens of hours played.

My other piece of advice is to go into settings and turn off the HUD. Get rid of the mini-map and all that other information on the screen. Doing that makes the game sooo much more immersive. Most of that information is unnecessary or superfluous anyway. You know how much noise Link is making because you can hear it; you know when Link is too cold because he starts shivering; etc. If you ever need to check the map or any of that other info, it's all just one button press away anyway.

Reactions: CPTN71

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If you want Zelda tips just google Zelda tips for beginners. It’s what I did and it doesn’t contain spoilers. It’s a good ground base to get going. There will be plenty of links (no pun intended).

Also, think smart about fighting enemies. I almost never take them head on. I take the high ground and throw bombs, I move around a ton, and I run away. I’m also a Zelda noob the last one I played was on NES.

I have also died a ton, so when you do defeat someone it makes it feel pretty good if it’s a hard enemy. It took me like 10 tries to climb a tower surround by those electric wand wizards. Felt good to finally do it! I also cook a ton of meals and do lots of shrines.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
The game is very different from other Zelda games in that there is basically no hand-holding, and this can make the early game more challenging than usual. There's no tutorial section and no companion to tell you where to go or what to do. You are just thrown into the world to choose your own path. To me and many others, that is what makes the game so thrilling and refreshing. But I guess to you it feels somewhat aimless.

And combat in the early game is tougher than usual. Even regular enemies are tough, plus it's quite possible for you to stumble on an overworld boss (Stone Talus, Hinox, Guardian, to say nothing of a Lynel), which are likely to destroy you pretty quickly. Best to just avoid these entirely until a bit later in the game.

But combat does get easier. You will get more hearts. You will create meals and potions that help in combat. You will find better weapons and shields that last longer. Later in the game, running out of good weapons is not a problem - more likely you will find more good weapons than you have inventory slots for and will have to always choose which one to drop. You will get a variety of different types of armor and be able to upgrade most pieces of armor so that they have a much better defense value.

Overall, my best advice for enjoying the game is to just let go and explore. You will always find interesting things in every part of Hyrule. Don't worry that there are not a clear series of objectives like in other Zeldas. The world is massive and fun to just walk around exploring, even after dozens of hours played.

My other piece of advice is to go into settings and turn off the HUD. Get rid of the mini-map and all that other information on the screen. Doing that makes the game sooo much more immersive. Most of that information is unnecessary or superfluous anyway. You know how much noise Link is making because you can hear it; you know when Link is too cold because he starts shivering; etc. If you ever need to check the map or any of that other info, it's all just one button press away anyway.

Tried out HUD on Pro mode. I like it.

Also, I stumbled upon the shrine that teaches you combat basics .Would have helped in the beginning .

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Welp, I've been caving day by day. I'm getting a nice refund on my taxes this year and I think I'll be treating myself to a Switch in a few weeks once that comes through.

Its odd, I think the last console I owned was my N64. Fitting that my next one should be Nintendo as well.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Still no pre-order info for Canadians in re: Octopath (WHY) and Tennis Aces (DOUBLE WHY?!)

still nothing on on Virtual Console.
Nintendo, do you not want my money?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Still no pre-order info for Canadians in re: Octopath (WHY) and Tennis Aces (DOUBLE WHY?!)

Given all that you mentioned and the limited stock on freaking everything they produce, I think it's pretty clear that Nintendo doesn't care about our money.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Yeah Canada sucks for pre-orders.

As for the VC, they probably don't want to cannibalize sales of their other games since there's a main release almost every 6 weeks, whether it be a port or not.

I suspect a lot will be shown at E3.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Virtual console would really only hurt the Nindies. I really don't think it is a priority at all for Nintendo....and with the amount of games on the console, its no longer much of a priority for me either.

Speaking of Nindies....

I am really looking forward to this game.

Reactions: CPTN71

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Meanwhile, when it comes to indies, I just really wish that Risk of Rain would get a Switch port.

Apparently this has become a bit of a nuisance for small Indie devs......they're being inundated with requests for Switch ports. They announce a game and get frustrated when the first response to their big news is "yeah but what about Switch?"

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Apparently this has become a bit of a nuisance for small Indie devs......they're being inundated with requests for Switch ports. They announce a game and get frustrated when the first response to their big news is "yeah but what about Switch?"

Yeah, there seems to be a large crowd of vocal Switch evangelists roaming the internet. :laugh:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Well, ok, but that raises the question - why aren't they developing for Switch?

I mean, the demand is clearly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad