Player Discussion Nino "El Niño" Niederreiter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Wow. I liked what I saw from Nino before, but he looked great last night. The kid was fighting for the puck, strong on the boards, crashing the crease, playing the game at a high level with Parise and Koivu, and.......wait for it......actually looking like a goal scoring threat coming off the cycle!

IMO last night Nino actually looks better than Coyle did last year. Yes, it was just one game, but he was much more in tune with with Parise and Koivu and played a much bigger role then just being the guy to dig the puck out of the corners.

I am very excited to see if he gets prolonged time up on the 1st line and whether he can build some consistency.

walloftvs

Mar 8, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah, Nino looked pretty good last night.

Once Coyle is back, lookout. Heater will probably get bumped down to the 3rd line.

Parise - Koivu - Nino
Poms - Granny - Coyle

I like that top 6. Is it really even worth it to go after Vanek next summer? If so, you gotta think that somebody like Zucker will be on the trading block at some point.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeah, Nino looked pretty good last night.

Once Coyle is back, lookout. Heater will probably get bumped down to the 3rd line.

Parise - Koivu - Nino
Poms - Granny - Coyle

I like that top 6. Is it really even worth it to go after Vanek next summer? If so, you gotta think that somebody like Zucker will be on the trading block at some point.

They will NOT mess up the mojo of that 3rd line. Right now, the 1st and 3rd are getting the job done. When Coyle comes back I would not be surprised if Heater ends up with some debilitating injury Ponder style.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Heatley has exactly the length of Coyle's injury to prove he has anything left. Otherwise, I would keep Nino on the 1st line and rock Pomer, Granlund, and Coyle on the 2nd.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Heatley has exactly the length of Coyle's injury to prove he has anything left. Otherwise, I would keep Nino on the 1st line and rock Pomer, Granlund, and Coyle on the 2nd.

Thinking the same thing. I know Granny and Coyle have chemistry out there, Pommer would be a great addition on that line too.

If heater doesn't improve at all, I hope they slot him on the fourth fourth line with Konopka. Keep Mitchell on the third line. He's an underrated player. Love his work ethic/speed. Fits in with the third line mentality perfectly

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Yeo and Fletcher need to make this happen.

Nino-Koivu-Parise
Pommers-Coyle-Granlund
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell
Fontaine-Konopka-Heater

Rupp comes back and you make the decision to bench either Heater or Rupp.

Those are great 4 lines.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yeo and Fletcher need to make this happen.

Nino-Koivu-Parise
Pommers-Coyle-Granlund
Cooke-Brodziak-Mitchell
Fontaine-Konopka-Heater

Rupp comes back and you make the decision to bench either Heater or Rupp.

Those are great 4 lines.
Yep.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know that Heatley can play on the fourth line. Traditionally, that's a physical, checking line with lots of energy that isn't expected to have much offensive skill.

Agree that the third line shouldn't be broken up to accommodate him.

Three years ago he would've been a fit on one of the top two lines, but now I don't see it.

Nino looks like Coyle last year. I like the size and physicality, see offensive potential. He still has trouble with his balance and getting his body in proper position to make plays. A year of experience, maturing, and working in the off season might net the Wild a serious power forward.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You don't need to break up the 3rd line, but you can give Heatley some time there as well. Give Heatley the O-zone starts, Mitchell the D-zone starts or something like that.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
He's been as close as everyone else to actually scoring and hasn't been any bigger liability on ice than anyone else, really. this is *****ing for the sake of *****ing because if there's anything consistent throughout the season for any Minnesota sport, it's fan *****ing. Gotta *****. It's a rule or something. If we won the cup there would still be focused discussion on how this person or that kept us from setting a record of some sort. Focus is always negative.
Back to Heatley: he certainly looked slow--WAS slow--so far but is that physical or psychological? hurting, weak, or disengaged? That's going to make a difference in what Yeo does with him. Two different quotes allude to two different things..."takes a big guy a bit longer" would seem to mean it's physical. "trying to get Heatley started" (putting Pomms there with him) would seem to indicate it's mental...like Pomms is the choke.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
H If we won the cup there would still be focused discussion on how this person or that kept us from setting a record of some sort.

Nah, we'd be saying "Yeah, but Fletch cost us our future for this one. Now we'll never win it again!" At some point we'll stop sounding like disillusioned fans and start sounding like whiny rich kids.

Nino was awesome on that top line, and I do like the idea of Coyle-Granlund-Pomminville, but Heatley is not a fourth liner. We have a surplus of top 6 forwards, and that's just something we're not used to! My guess is Granlund goes back down to the 3rd line and Mitchell to the fourth. When Rupp gets back he'll likely take Fontaine's spot, leaving Fontaine as the extra forward, and Veillieux goes back to Iowa.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's been as close as everyone else to actually scoring and hasn't been any bigger liability on ice than anyone else, really. this is *****ing for the sake of *****ing because if there's anything consistent throughout the season for any Minnesota sport, it's fan *****ing. Gotta *****. It's a rule or something. If we won the cup there would still be focused discussion on how this person or that kept us from setting a record of some sort. Focus is always negative.
Back to Heatley: he certainly looked slow--WAS slow--so far but is that physical or psychological? hurting, weak, or disengaged? That's going to make a difference in what Yeo does with him. Two different quotes allude to two different things..."takes a big guy a bit longer" would seem to mean it's physical. "trying to get Heatley started" (putting Pomms there with him) would seem to indicate it's mental...like Pomms is the choke.

There's a reason everyone but you is down on Heatley.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
There's a reason everyone but you is down on Heatley.

i know why, but it'd be an infraction. I'm down on him too (if you read my comments) but the fact remains: he hasn't cost us a game, and he's come as close or closer than the average Wild player to winning us one. He doesn't seem to fit anywhere now, but it's not like he's been any more useless than a lot of the guys on the team.

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
So you want him to play in the top 6 to make our team less effective? Yeah he hasn´t cost us a game but he has been steadily draging down every line he has played on which instead hampers what the line could do with him in the pressbox. And then there´s the argument that if he had score a few of his shots he wouldn´t be bashed so hard. Well that´s the reason right there for his flaming. He has NOT scored any goals despite oportunities.

J22*

So you want him to play in the top 6 to make our team less effective? Yeah he hasn´t cost us a game but he has been steadily draging down every line he has played on which instead hampers what the line could do with him in the pressbox. And then there´s the argument that if he had score a few of his shots he wouldn´t be bashed so hard. Well that´s the reason right there for his flaming. He has NOT scored any goals despite oportunities.

Whats the point of even having this argument until Coyle gets back? Who would you put in to replace Heatley right now that would be an improvement? Zucker got a chance and was brutal, Fontaine isnt even an NHL player at this point, so that leaves you with who exactly?

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Whats the point of even having this argument until Coyle gets back? Who would you put in to replace Heatley right now that would be an improvement? Zucker got a chance and was brutal, Fontaine isnt even an NHL player at this point, so that leaves you with who exactly?

Vanek.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny

he's dragging down the team? good luck proving that. All i'm saying is it's the easy way out and sadly absolutely typical of our fanbase to just focus on one guy who's primary offense here is being unpopular as the "problem" with the team. We all have our "things". Heatley was never meant to fit into the team as it was envisioned--he was just a temp filling time until we got the players we wanted. It's not so surprising he looks out of place--but the fact that he does doesn't make him complete crap.
Can't wait until he's gone to see who the next guy is blamed for all our woes, because there will ALWAYS be someone. that's what i'm saying. it's a stupid psychological need for some people.

Billy Mays Here*

God I hope he gets a goal tonight (Nino that is). I hope this isn't a situation where he's not going to look out of place on the top line, but not get any points. Want him to succeed so we can laugh at Isle fans on how they mishandled him.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
hope the top line in general pots a goal or two in 5v5 play. they spend enough time with the puck that they're due. but i'd happily take a goal from Konopka too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad